• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    A little background on my request. This morning I walked to the end of my driveway to talk to a buddy. About the time I got to his car I hear a dog bark & found myself face to face with my neighbors pit bull mix with the hair up on his neck, looking right at me from 3 ft. I stood my ground, didn't run, & didn't threaten the dog. He finally went back home & barked at me from there. I finished talking to my buddy & headed back to my house. About that time my neighbor walks out to get his dog. I yelled over at him that if his dog EVER comes at me again like it just did I WILL shoot it. No reply from him. So I called the sheriff & explain the story to him. He said they would come out & talk to the owner & show him a copy of the county ordinance that requires him to keep his dog on his property. I then asked the deputy if I could legally shoot the dog. He said yes if you feel your life's in danger. I don't WANT to shoot the dog, but I'm darn near 70 & don't think I'd last long trying to fight him off. So here's my question. Does anyone know of a rig I can use on my lawn tractor to carry a pump style shotgun while I'm mowing? I really don't want to get blindsided by this dog again. Handgun is out as there are too many houses close by. Sad day when I have to carry a shotgun to get the newspaper & mail. Mowing the yard is the biggest exposure I have. It's for sure when the grandkids come to go fishing the 870 will be at my side.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Kill the neighbor and the dog will fix itself....

Seriously, Ammonia in a good squirt gun will deter any dog.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Unfortunately I've seen too many results of dog attacks. A mad Pit Bull is a Lethal Threat, Bear Spray is the only Non Lethal alternative that I would employ. To bad your neighbor is not a responsible dog owner.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Taurus Judge with 3" chambers, loaded with .410 shot shells. Mount a nylon holster on the side of the hood or fender. Quick and easy access. Probably faster than a long gun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Had a similar experience with a vicious dog in my area. The dog was a mixed breed - German shepherd, probably some pit bull. He previously had threatened my SIL on their property, attacked my small dog in my yard. I ran into the yard with my Colt 45, racked a round, (loaded with Federal Hydra-shok rounds) fully intending to kill him. When I racked the round he took off like a scared cat, preventing me from getting a safe shot on my property. The police and animal control were both called. Police looked at my gun, didn't say a word, several officers knew me, including the local Chief and knew I had a Ltch and FFL-03.

I told the animal control officer (police was beside him) that next time he should bring a shovel to carry the dead dog with him. No one disagreed, both said it was legal as long as the dog was on my property. As the owner had been warned several times, they levied a fine. She moved shortly thereafter, may have been kicked out by the landlord.
    If you have a handgun I would carry it loaded with hollow points. Then if you have to shoot the animal, I would be sure it was on your lawn (not driveway or walk), As you would be shooting downward I don't think a hollow point would ever ricochet, unless you shot the dog on a concrete sidewalk/drive and missed.

My best friend became an Animal control officer in Clinton County, he had to shoot at least two pit bulls, one attacked a co-worker of mine, and she ended up losing one arm and part of her other arm, the other pit bull attacked a young boy, putting him in a hospital in critical condition. He did finally recover but will never be the same. I am an animal lover and particularly love dogs, but if a pit bull is on my property, I will shoot it immediately, as you cannot tell when they will attack. With the number of attacks that have occurred in Indiana, I certainly wish they would pass a law against owning them in the state. I am one that hates to see any Government laws passed but this is personal to me. The lady that lost her arm was a friend and had received the pit bull from her sister, she had kept the animal for over two years without any issue, apparently the dog became scared or excited and attacked her in her home. She was in her late 30's and is now disabled for the rest of her life.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I always carry a kel tec p3at in a focus paddle holster. hollow points. I agree- on my property non- lethal force is not an option. I have to disagree in saying one breed is more dangerous than another- it is how they are raised and trained that effects how they are. Statistically- smaller breeds bite more often, but it is the bigger breeds that do more damage- so they get the bad press. I know some Pitts that are softer than a cotton ball!!

Big Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    I hear what you guys are saying but I've owned a pit bull and I think they're great dogs! That being said I think the owner is just a jackass for training his dog that way! I love dogs but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any kind of aggressive dog if it came down to me or my family's safety!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's always the owners fault. But an aggressive dog should be a dead dog.

And nothing against specific breeds, but an aggressive chihuahua is a different type of threat than an aggressive bull mastiff. Honestly, I think you should have to have a license or certification to own a dog over 10 lbs.

I hear what you guys are saying but I've owned a pit bull and I think they're great dogs! That being said I think the owner is just a jackass for training his dog that way! I love dogs but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any kind of aggressive dog if it came down to me or my family's safety!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I second the ammonia squirt gun. Its effective, non-lethal and reduces the chances of legal issues. My uncle was a milk man (there used to be people that brought milk right to your house) and I'd ride along in the summer. People used to let their dogs run loose all day so chances of meeting a mean dog were a lot higher back then. He always had the squirt gun and saved me several times.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Honestly.....I'd rather a mean dog not be alive. You use non-lethal force on a dog capable of killing a child today.....it's still alive to kill the next day. And a crappy owner with a potentially deadly mean dog isn't going to change their ways. That dog is not magically going to be friendly the next day. It's still going to be a mean dog with the potential of killing.

OP.....Given the chance, I'd have killed that dog dead. No questions about it. That thing is a menace, and you now have to look over your shoulder when you're in your yard.

Now, if you're talking a mean small dog, I agree. Punt it or squirt it with pepper spray or something. Again, the level of danger increases with the size of the dog (not the breed).

I second the ammonia squirt gun. Its effective, non-lethal and reduces the chances of legal issues. My uncle was a milk man (there used to be people that brought milk right to your house) and I'd ride along in the summer. People used to let their dogs run loose all day so chances of meeting a mean dog were a lot higher back then. He always had the squirt gun and saved me several times.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Had a similar experience with a vicious dog in my area. The dog was a mixed breed - German shepherd, probably some pit bull. He previously had threatened my SIL on their property, attacked my small dog in my yard. I ran into the yard with my Colt 45, racked a round, (loaded with Federal Hydra-shok rounds) fully intending to kill him. When I racked the round he took off like a scared cat, preventing me from getting a safe shot on my property. The police and animal control were both called. Police looked at my gun, didn't say a word, several officers knew me, including the local Chief and knew I had a Ltch and FFL-03.
    There's a reason to always keep one in the chamber.

My best friend became an Animal control officer in Clinton County, he had to shoot at least two pit bulls, one attacked a co-worker of mine, and she ended up losing one arm and part of her other arm, the other pit bull attacked a young boy, putting him in a hospital in critical condition. He did finally recover but will never be the same. I am an animal lover and particularly love dogs, but if a pit bull is on my property, I will shoot it immediately, as you cannot tell when they will attack. With the number of attacks that have occurred in Indiana, I certainly wish they would pass a law against owning them in the state. I am one that hates to see any Government laws passed but this is personal to me. The lady that lost her arm was a friend and had received the pit bull from her sister, she had kept the animal for over two years without any issue, apparently the dog became scared or excited and attacked her in her home. She was in her late 30's and is now disabled for the rest of her life.

Don't worry, the INGO pitbull apologists will be along shortly.

Top Bottom