• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am trying to install some memory in a laptop. It currently has 2 gig and I am trying to add a stick of 4. The 2gb is ddr10600 the 4 is ddr10666. The BIOS shows 6gb. Memory test came back fine. Windows goes to start and then restarts the computer. With just the 4 same thing. I cannot figure out what is wrong. Windows is a 64bit version.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    Most laptops require matching sticks of RAM when using more than one stick. I cannot remember why or where I read it but that is what I had to do when I upgraded my HP. Hope this helps.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Plus, if you have matching sticks, your ram would run dual channel as opposed to single channel. This will theoretically give you even more of a boost.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    I agree with the rest of these posts for the most part but for different reasons. My understanding is that when you're running DDR10600 vs DDR10666 the chip latencies are different and that can cause your issue. I'd be willing to bet money that if you used PC10600 for the secondary RAM stick, you'd be fine. Additionally, I'd be willing to bet that so long as your motherboard supports it, you would also be able to run with just the 4GB DDR10666 stick installed as long as the 2GB DDR10600 stick is removed. Keep us posted! Interested to see how this turns out for you, good luck! :)

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    If memory settings are auto which I will assume they are as most laptops do not allow you to change much in the bios. Then it should set the faster memory down to the slower one. If you are able to manually do this however it may help your issue.
    And 32 bit is what limits you on memory not specifically xp as they did come out with 64 bit version.
    I know many people on here are well versed with computers much more so than I. A place I always go for computer info is also guru3d.com just fyi

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Just remove the old 2gb first, and make sure it even works on your laptop. You shouldn't need more than 4gb anyways. It is virtually guaranteed to work with just the new RAM, and if not, you need to return it. Once the new RAM is working as expected you can mess with trying adding the old, but I am doubtful.

I'm guessing that the laptop requires either pairs or singles, but not one pair, and one single. It needs to run in one of those modes, and since it doesn't have a separate memory bank like PC's often do, it just is more finicky.

Edit: You're using XP? Well, I thought it worked fine with extra memory, but just couldn't see it, but maybe I remember wrong. Anyways, it should definitely work with 4gb, so my advice is the same, remove the 2gb (and put the 4gb stick n the first slot). 32-bit XP should only show 3gb, but it will work. You really should be running a 64gb OS...

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Just to let you all know what happened I took the 2 2gb sticks from my wifes laptop put them in the other laptop and bingo! Worked great. Took the 4gb and 2gb sticks from the other computer put them in my wifes computer and bingo! Works like a champ. This is one non-paying computer job that turned out all right. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom