• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would like to grab a AK for a couple reasons.

1 being to test scope mounts, and the other being to have a option outside of a ar-15. This is basically going to help me with AK optics guidance, and to see if the grass is greenier on the other side of the fence.

The probelm is I know very little about the platform. Ive shot a ak 1 time in my life and it was one of Profire's full auto AK's so that doesnt help alot. I know I dont need ultra high end accuracy, and I know I do need a side mount. The cheaper the better, but I also dont mind paying whatever I NEED to for quality.

GO

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    will if its a tack driver ur looking for in a ak platform ur looking at a polish archer/beryl only ak i know of thats sub moa and the last one i saw that sold was a month ago at $1300

2 to 3in is about what one would expect for about any other platform in 7.62 and the 74's 5.45x30's are a little bit tighter grouping but dont expect much

there just fun rifles with great amount of history whatever one you pick youll enjoy it after all it is the evil rifle i wont get into the better builders cause i build my own so i can speak for there quality

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Go Chinese post ban mak90. Chrome lined barrel and bolt. Arsenal built and very accurate. Best ak trigger. Or you could go polish beryl....my mak will shoot as good as anyone behind the gun.... What kind of mount are you going to run? Rsregulate?

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Get an AK with a side rail, there is a side rail scope mount that can't be beat.
    It made my AK74 almost as accurate as my AR 15.
    You can take the scope & mount off to clean, then put it back on without changing zero.
    10zmnh5.jpg

35hqsrt.jpg

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Let me quote 42769vette: I know I dont need ultra high end accuracy,

Why are you suggesting uncommon and more expensive AKs?

Get a Waffen Werks AK74. The ammo is cheap to shoot and the rifle quality is excellent for the price.

The two best mounting systems I know are the RSRegulate side mount and US Palm/MI Rail that replaces the upper hand guard.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What kind of mount are you going to run? Rsregulate?

Im going to start carrying somthing, but Im not the type of guy who can make recomendations without hands on experiance. I just dont have the ability to look at somthing and imagine how it functions like alot of folks appear to have.

Rsregulate is the front runner, but I will buy everything from cheapo to expensive to make sure I can explain the diffrences and benifits or each to any customer who asks.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Also check out parabellum armament.....they have a top cover option that is pretty interesting.....

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    personally I would try to find a WASR with a side rail.

The good deals on AK-74 mags is over, at least for now, and ammo is hard to find and starting to go way up in price.

You can go either way since most 74s, and most WASRs have side rails, but WASR would be a cheap reliable rifle, or well, it should be, but prices right now suck. Mags are a lot cheaper and easy to find, and ammo is the same.

as for scope mounts, RS Regulate gets my vote, next would be Ultimak, and in 3rd would be the dust cover systems (ie TWS or Parabellum)

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I would second the wasr. You would be able to test how well the mount and optic hold zero with the larger 7.62 round and be into it cheap. After you've done your testing, if you have found you like the platform, you could upgrade from the wasr.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks guys, I have 1000 rds of ammo (I bought it years ago as a what if even though I dont own a rifle in that caliber) and im not in a hurry to get the gun, ill be waiting until prices stabolize.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Alan, I bought an SAR1 years ago from Bradis and have put many rounds through it with no issues at all. It is still bone stock and has the side rail on it like you are wanting. It does everything I have asked of it.

If you want to try it out, let me know.
    I am no "AK expert" though.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'd go with whatever sort of ak you can get your hands on cheaply. They're all about the same. Mounts are what i'd concern myself with. Like clay said, i'd get the most popular and functional. I'd go with TWS, Ultimak, and RSregulate. You would then have the best ways of mounting an optic to your AK (hinged top cover, gas tube, and side rail)

TWS
    PIC_0051Rev.jpg

RSR
    jX3rB.jpg

Ultimak
    bf74.jpg

Top Bottom