Need some advice (dealing with repeat trespasser)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Be thankful for a place to hunt where you don't make the mortage, taxes and insurance on. My friends and they truly are sometimes may...well forget that ownership is expensive and has its privellages. If the property owner doesn't want to confront the guy then so be it. Enjoy the opportunity that he is providing for what it is... A rare gift. A gift that someday you may longer have.
    ^^^^
    THIS

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    If the property owner has not authorized you to speak on his behalf I don't see how you can say anything. I was in the exact situation with tresspassers but I convinced the land owner to lease me the land for a 1.00 and agree that I would keep it posted and the fences up. I would stop by and talk to the guy, explain to him what your doing and offer a gift of meat if he would help you out by not walking the woods until after you tag out. A little sugar goes a long way. If hes old he probably has things he would like to do but cant, mabey another way to make a friend.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Let one or two fly as you know he is around and it will scare the crap out of him hes already messed up your hunt so you have nothing to loose , just put a couple rounds in the ground where your at, it may even scare the dog bad enough it won't even want to walk in the woods anymore.... If anything is said just say you was shooting at a deer as it run by and missed, must of been because you were walking around and spooking deer... If you do that a couple times it will get his attention and maybe he will quit walking in the woods... There is something about a shotgun going off when your close that makes a guy think twice before walking around where they shouldn't be....

Last edited:

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Let one or two fly as you know he is around and it will scare the crap out of him hes already messed up your hunt so you have nothing to loose , just put a couple rounds in the ground where your at, it may even scare the dog bad enough it won't even want to walk in the woods anymore.... If anything is said just say you was shooting at a deer as it run by and missed, must of been because you were walking around and spooking deer... If you do that a couple times it will get his attention and maybe he will quit walking in the woods... There is something about a shotgun going off when your close that makes a guy think twice before walking around where they shouldn't be....

I am thinking the same thing. I know they hunt behind me so I tend to stay out of their way. Sounds like this guy does not care and seems to be a jerk about it. Maybe he needs a little hint.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Be thankful for a place to hunt where you don't make the mortage, taxes and insurance on. My friends and they truly are sometimes may...well forget that ownership is expensive and has its privellages. If the property owner doesn't want to confront the guy then so be it. Enjoy the opportunity that he is providing for what it is... A rare gift. A gift that someday you may longer have.

I agree, it's not your land so just enjoy what hunting you can.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    If his sister is a pita, then maybe getting to know him can be a win win. Ask him if he would like to know when you are going to be out there as to work things out. See if he would like some meat. Eventually he might sell to you or the person who ones what you are hunting on just to p!$$ off his sister. :)

we have those who are not to be on the family land dealing with them is a very delicate thing. Pick battles carefully.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I don't know how much land it is or your situation, but if the guy is getting older you may want to talk to him about a purchase. Maybe he will cut you a deal just to drop the hassle.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    I don't know how much land it is or your situation, but if the guy is getting older you may want to talk to him about a purchase. Maybe he will cut you a deal just to drop the hassle.

This is the answer. Include a lifetime lease or whatever they're called so the old guy doesn't need to move. Win!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    warning-shot.jpg

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Along with this, I will echo the idea of leasing the property even if it for a very small amount. That gives you the legal authority to deal with a trespasser.

Actual prosecution still has to go through the landowner.. The landowner is the only person that can have prosecution charges brought up. If he is unwilling to do it there is nothing that the leasee can do.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    I may, but he is 86 and his health is failing. I don't know if I want him stressing over it.

I know, but this has been our "honey hole" for a few years now. Very aggravating.....

No, it's a family friend. Just the occasional pie, summer sausage, morells and snow removal.

that is paying for services in kind i think that would qualify as a lease. i am not a lawyer but if memory serves you have a spoken agreement you do certian things like snow removal you get to hunt the property. if nothing else take a restraining order out on him you can get one of those for someone looking at you funny

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If his sister is a pita, then maybe getting to know him can be a win win. Ask him if he would like to know when you are going to be out there as to work things out. See if he would like some meat. Eventually he might sell to you or the person who ones what you are hunting on just to p!$$ off his sister. :)

we have those who are not to be on the family land dealing with them is a very delicate thing. Pick battles carefully.

That brings back painful memory's. No body will screw you like family.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Any way to get the landowner to give you written permission to police the property as a caretaker? Have him write up a quick page stating that he is giving you the full control of the property and who can be on it, etc. Show it the trespasser and tell him to stay the F*%& out or the authorities will be called. Make sure the property lines are well posted.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    We had a similar situation. We notified the landowner but it was not in his nature to address the situation with the neighbor. We simply explained to the dog walker that we were deer hunting. That we will not see any deer if he continues to walk his dog in the woods. We asked him if he would mind not walking his little fluffy during deer season in the woods. We also explained how being in the woods put his little snack of a dog as easy pickings for the local coyotes. Our next plan was to bring a dead coyote to him to allow him to see first hand what ran in the woods. Fortunately he realy didn't understand he was messing us up and agreed to stay out during season.
    Plan C was to setup and do some coyote calling close to the edege of the property with the idea he might hear the rucus and decide his little dog might not to be any part of that and would contine to walk down the road and not the woods.

Top Bottom