• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I've been meaning to buy new tires for my '01 jeep XJ but thought I'd wait. Suddenly I'm looking at having to make a trip to Chicago this weekend due to a death in the family and the weather outlook doesn't look good.

Anyone know of the best deal in town right now for 225 75-15 or 235 75-15 snow or all-terrain tires?

Mine are practically bald and I didn't know if there was a website available to search for the best deal.

thanks

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    Sorry for your loss.

I was checking out tires last week to get a budget price. I need to get tires for my truck and my wife's Blazer. I was on discount tires website. There are other major retail sites as well. online shops too.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you want an actual snow tire, you might want to look into getting an extra set of rims as well. If you drive on them an extended amount in decent weather you'll end up with crappy performing tires when you actually need them. The snow tires won't be cheap and you'd still need tires and rims for the rest of the year. You should be fine getting an all weather, all terrain if you pay attention to the snow/ice rating.

Tire Rack has some Firestone Winterforce for $85-ish per tire in 235/75/15. I'd probably look into the all terrains so I wouldn't need to get another set of rims and tires to have something I could drive on without ruining them once warmer/dryer weather comes. Tire Rack has a pretty solid site. You can search by size and compare side by side. Find a tire you think you might like and you can click on a tab labeled survey and it'll have a breakdown of ratings of how the tire should perform. They also offer reviews and full specs of the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Car & Truck Tires, Custom Wheels, Car Rims & Truck Rims - Discount Tire

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Walmart has decent tires and a nice selection, I've used them in the past and they held up good

At least for the time being...I will NEVER go back to Walmart for tires again. I went in there this summer, saw some nice all-terrains for a good price on display. I pointed out the tire that I wanted installed. After walking around the store for 2 hours, my name was called. Paid up and went out to my Jeep. They totally put the wrong tires on. I went back inside and informed the lady who rang me up of the situation. She looked over my paperwork and compared it with what she was looking at on the paper. She then says, "it all matches, you got the right tires". My blood pressure started to rise as I told her NO, they are NOT the right tires. I took her to the display and showed her the tires that were supposed to be on my Jeep. She kept referring to the paperwork as being right so no problem existed. After much heated back and forth and asking for a superior who is willing to HELP me it was figured out that the tire on display was not the tire on the tag below it.

Turns out, that tire I wanted had advertisements posted on the counters, the walls, and surrounding windows, but was not in stock and they wanted to charge me full price for their screw up. I ended up making them put my old tires back on and refund my money. I went back in a few days later for something different and thought I'd look at that tire again. They still had the same damn WRONG tire on display with the wrong tag!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    At least for the time being...I will NEVER go back to Walmart for tires again. I went in there this summer, saw some nice all-terrains for a good price on display. I pointed out the tire that I wanted installed. After walking around the store for 2 hours, my name was called. Paid up and went out to my Jeep. They totally put the wrong tires on. I went back inside and informed the lady who rang me up of the situation. She looked over my paperwork and compared it with what she was looking at on the paper. She then says, "it all matches, you got the right tires". My blood pressure started to rise as I told her NO, they are NOT the right tires. I took her to the display and showed her the tires that were supposed to be on my Jeep. She kept referring to the paperwork as being right so no problem existed. After much heated back and forth and asking for a superior who is willing to HELP me it was figured out that the tire on display was not the tire on the tag below it.

Turns out, that tire I wanted had advertisements posted on the counters, the walls, and surrounding windows, but was not in stock and they wanted to charge me full price for their screw up. I ended up making them put my old tires back on and refund my money. I went back in a few days later for something different and thought I'd look at that tire again. They still had the same damn WRONG tire on display with the wrong tag!
    i don't blame you one bit, I wouldn't go back either, I pay a local guy a little more but I get much better service. I called Walmart to see if they had my oil filter for a Mazda 6, my oil needed changed and it was to dang cd to lay in the gravel and do it. I tell her it's a canister filter, at the time only a few places carried them. I said its a 4cyl, NOT the v6, totally different filters. She say oh yeah, we have it. So in I go. I walk around the store for 2 hours, they finally call my name and she tells me they don't carry my filter so they refilled the oil and checked everything. I griped a bit, then she said it was $20 for the oil!?!? I about lost my freaking mind! I said I'm not paying for half a service job not to mention you can't listen to simple instruction! Away I went with half an oil change!

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Blizzacks. the best you can get. I have some winterforce and they are alright. when we race in the snow its always blizzacks.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Blizzacks. the best you can get. I have some winterforce and they are alright. when we race in the snow its always blizzacks.

Blizzaks are awesome on snow and ice but the only ones I've seen in the right size have been around $400 per tire.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Blizzaks are awesome on snow and ice but the only ones I've seen in the right size have been around $400 per tire.

Then you are looking in the wrong places. they around 100-125 per tire. check ouf tirerack.com. 235 75/15 will give you more results, that size is more common.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    If some of you guys are in the market for tires might check treadedepot.com. We just bought cooper at3s for the 4runner best price I had found even with paying $80 for shipping. They were 265/65/17 and $133 a tire. Shipping was fast two ordered them nov. 4th they were on my porch on the 6th.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I know you've got a lot going on right now so getting a good deal is important. I deal with Discount Tire, they balance price & service pretty well. As for the tire, I recommend you look at all season tires instead of dedicated snows. If you remember me telling you that I drive a lot of highway you'll appreciate I don't scrimp on tires. So my brand recommendation is on the high end. My Go To is Michelin LTX M/S. They have excellent traction in all conditions and I replaced my last set after 5 years & 70,000 miles. But they are stupid expensive even on sale. But if you do the math, most people replace tires twice if not 3 times over 70,000 miles.

Good luck buddy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Then you are looking in the wrong places. they around 100-125 per tire. check ouf tirerack.com. 235 75/15 will give you more results, that size is more common.

Yeah, I looked for the 225/75/r15. In stores, in stock those are pretty rare. The 235/75/15 Blizzaks Tire Rack has isn't a bad price but unless you're willing to buy another set of rims and tires, I probably wouldn't go for a dedicated winter set. Winter tires should have about a 4 month season if you want them to last and perform in the conditions they're built for. It would suck big time to have to buy 3 sets (replacement winter tires for the worn/improperly used set and the ATs or muds) of tires in a year or 2 because you wanted winter tires and didn't have a spring-fall set as well. Also, from friends that worked in tire shops, the majority of winter tires ran outside of winter-ish weather weren't warrantied for wear. Properly used, most Blizzaks should last 2-3 seasons (4 to 5 months per season).

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Sepe, I don't know what experience you had but I ran winter tires (not Blizzaks, maybe winterforce?) on the back of my 2wd Ranger for years and they wore just fine, actually better than most street tires and worked great every winter, even when we had 10+ inches of snow and even worked in the slushy ice with a little weight in the back.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Got a set of BFG Rugged Terrains coming for my ZJ. I have a friend that works at Sears so that's where I go for tires.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Sepe, I don't know what experience you had but I ran winter tires (not Blizzaks, maybe winterforce?) on the back of my 2wd Ranger for years and they wore just fine, actually better than most street tires and worked great every winter, even when we had 10+ inches of snow and even worked in the slushy ice with a little weight in the back.
    I'll 2nd that. I have had the winterforce on my car for 2 years now and are wearing fine. I personally go with ebay, I bought all mine for 200 total and another 50-60 for mounting and balancing. there are plenty of sellers that offer free shipping, you just have to be diligent since they usually go quick.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Tire Rack or other online retailer will get you the best price. Then take the price to Tire Barn and they'll match it, but their price includes mounting & balancing... That should net you the best deal, I think.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I've ran a few different brands as take offs and ran some Yokohamas (that I bought brand new) as year rounds. The 2nd year (about 20,000 miles) the Yokohamas might as well have been a summer tire based on the ice performance, snow still wasn't an issue. The winter tires were given to me as take offs by friends that managed the Tire Rack, a Sears Automotive Center, and a friend that owns a few gas/service/towing shops. They wouldn't warranty dedicated winter tires with premature wear at 10,000 miles due to being ran year round. Yeah, they'll still perform just fine in the snowy and slushy stuff but the ice performance goes down because the softer compound is usually eaten up. These days, I'd run a dedicated winter tire if it was given to me (or if I was running a mud tire the rest of the year) but researching ATs can get decent enough performance on snow and the icy stuff. Haven't run weight since I ran the dedicated winter tires and haven't had much of an issue other than the winter I didn't get my tractor tread mudders off in time.

Edit to add, I know that they didn't warranty them because I saw it first hand while selling tires for awhile.

Last edited:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    If some of you guys are in the market for tires might check treadedepot.com. We just bought cooper at3s for the 4runner best price I had found even with paying $80 for shipping. They were 265/65/17 and $133 a tire. Shipping was fast two ordered them nov. 4th they were on my porch on the 6th.
    I'll second the coopers kicking ass. I have a set on my blazer right now. And also Discount will match treaddepot.com I did mine wisely when they offered free shipping and got my 235/75/15s for $102/ea. They kick ass in mud, snow, rain, dry you name it they are very quiet too.

Top Bottom