• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    O/U's under $500 are POS, you know that, right? Many here may disagree, but those who know, know. Which is why quality used guns are a great value.

Wow, you just insulted me and then agreed with the points I made. If you noticed, I suggested he buy an 1100 to begin with and to avoid the cheap O/U's. You then came in and said the same thing...

anyone who sees her shoot assumes she has been doing it for years, not months.
    Sounds like I was shooting clays before you were even born.

You claim that time in the sport means nothing as proved by your girlfriend, then claim you've been shooting longer than I've been alive, which shouldn't matter. Which is it?

You claim your girlfriend is not recoil adverse, but needed a lighter gun? Why not buy a light 12ga? Because they're field guns and recoil like hell. but you should know that, right?

Your entire post seems to suggest compromise. I don't compromise with shotguns. I use the right choke(s), have professional coaching, use the RIGHT tool for the job, etc.

I was simply laying out the progression for most shooters for the OP. Consider it bonus knowledge. There was no reason to jump all over everyone.

Also, if you had noticed, I DO shoot a semi for certain disciplines, but American sports, including Sporting Clays, are not one of them.

I guess I will never understand why people feel the need to beat their e-chest.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    LOL, I think I could have predicted and written this entire thread in my first post. ROTFL

Like I said, go watch people shooting shotguns DOING what you want to do. Then go back and just watch the ones who know what they are doing and copy them.

...or hang around here and see who can pee furthest and spend your money on something they are TALKING about.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you're looking for a place to go to watch or learn to shoot trap, skeet, or sporting clays, Indiana Gun Club is a good place to go. It's located near Geist. They used to have the IN State Skeet Shoot there, but that was several years ago. They also used to have a full Sporting Clays field but due to recent residential development in that area, I think the field has been cut by more than half the stations. They have a large facility where you can buy/sell shotguns and, unless they've changed their policy, you can try out some of the shotguns in their store out on their fields. They have voice activated machines for pulling trap but you can usually find someone to shoot with or get one of the house loaders to pull for you in skeet. They also have a guy there named Bob Self (I believe is his name) that will teach you trap or skeet. The guy that runs INGC is named Steve, I've known him for many years and he is a good guy that runs a fair, well-priced business.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If you're not planning on travelling around the country winning competitions, then just get a good all-around gun. I shoot trap and skeet and sporting clays with the same gun I hunt with. The guys that taught me to shoot were pretty good shooters (most had strings of 200 or more) but none of them cared what I shot with. I guess they weren't the skeet/trap snobs you hear of. I was talking to one of the guys, an old guy, and he asked me what I was shooting. I said, "it's only a Mossberg 835" and he said, "don't ever say it's 'only a Mossberg.' It's a good gun, and you know how to shoot it."
    Yeah, shooting a pump gun may hold you back. I've only been able to hit 23 birds, not 25. Wierd thing was, I didn't miss any of the doubles.
    We used to shoot "lightning" rounds of skeet during lunch. we'd cut out of work, get to the skeet range, and shoot 2 rounds as fast as we could, then get back to work. A couple times, my buddy wouldn't have his shotgun with him and we'd both shoot my mossberg. He ran 2 straight rounds, no misses, with my gun during one of those days. Of course, he was a real shooter. He had a kolar that he usually brought, but it was a bit small for me.

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    Beretta has some nice semi"s in the $500.00 range.. If you like Traps try Spooting Clays & Skeet. I used to shoot a lot & use a Browning Golden Clay w/ 30 "ported barrels. Now I have have expensive closet queen that rarely gets used.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Pick up a S&W Model 1000. I have used this gun to shoot clays for quite a while and have never really had any problems. Good gun. Some may disagree but it's just a personal preference. Just try out as many guns as you can before you make your decision.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not the greatest trapshooter in the world. That said, drop me a PM and I'll gladly meet you at the club on a Thursday evening and show you the basics... I can introduce you to some of the "regulars" and you'll get more pointers than you can probably comprehend...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Love my O/U, but most of these will set you back more then $500. There are some economy models in this price range. For versatility it is hard to beat an automatic. If I had to keep either my O/U or my auto, I would probably go with the auto. For zombie hunting I like pumps, but for the shooting games I would stick with two barrels or gas guns.

+1 on the asking to try a bunch of firearms before purchasing.

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Barry in IN and SamW has said pretty much everything. Ignore the bickering over the guys who say they can shoot skeet with a musket gun.

As for your gun, go with a semi auto. For the money your wanting to spend, you can pick up a nice gun that allows you to make the doubles. Sure it can be done with a pump, but the recoil is going to be more and your at a disadvantage which can be discouraging for a new shooter trying to pick-up those doubles in skeet/sporting clays especially.

Your first day at the range just sit out a couple rounds and watch how the system works. I suggest starting with trap. Much simpler to figure out the rotation and hit targets. Once you have a good feel for trap venture over to the skeet range.

Be sure to pay attention to how the rotation works. This is mainly a safety concern. It's easy to get mixed up at first and be lost and being distracted with where your at isn't a good thing when your handling a gun. Also helps you seem like less of an annoyance to other shooters. While your watching try to find a new friend who wont mind explaining to you while you shoot with them. You should pick up the rotation relatively easy and then you can focus on busting clays.

Sporting clays really only has one type of rotation, station to station. It will take quite a bit of experience to figure out how to shoot each different type of target though. A good sporting clays course will only discourage and embarrass you (it has me plenty) if your not used to the shots. This is really where a o/u shines. Having the ability to use two chokes makes a difference. You can do it with a single choke, but again your at a disadvantage. Cheap o/u's are just that, cheap. Typically they will literally fall apart. They would get the job done, if your not shooting much sporting clays. However, the benefit of two chokes is enough to justify wasting money on a gun that will fall apart.

If your lucky you will find that guy/gal that will take you under your wing and teach you about the sport. I was very fortunate to have an older gentlemen show me quite a bit about trap shooting. If not just observe the best you can.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom