• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, really? Calm down. People personalize everything. How does that affect your daily life in any way?

Granted it may not be my personal style, but people have every right to make their guns pink, blue, green, yellow...I really don't care. If they can shoot and handle a gun smartly what else really matters? Don't be so judgmental, you'll start to pickle. And then I'd have to fry you and eat you.

Perhaps I was misunderstood. All I was trying to say is that I don't think the color should be a dominant factor in purchasing a firearm. If you buy a car simply because it looks cute, you may be getting yourself into hot water. If you buy a gun simply because it's pink you may end up with something that is difficult for you to shoot. I've seen it happen first hand and more than one woman I know regrets it. My comment was not meant to flame anyone and if it came across that way you have my apologies. I just think it's a really bad idea to say "it has to be pink" when so many other factors are far more important when choosing something that you may have to use to defend your life. And whether we like it or not it does feed a stereotype. Some women are okay with that but when people automatically suggest pink guns for women just because of their gender (again...first hand experience) it's a bit ridiculous. You want it pink, purple, rainbow, flowers, or polka dots, fine. Whatever. But don't get something just because of that. Yes I'm aware you can buy a gun you like and have it coated, but the OP made it sound like the original color was a deciding factor. Some people truly are that way and don't want to take the time or effort to customize it themselves. Again, not trying to judge, not trying to flame, just hoping that someone wouldn't purchase a weapon on looks alone. And after reading your post, I now want fried pickles. Thanks for that...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Perhaps I was misunderstood. All I was trying to say is that I don't think the color should be a dominant factor in purchasing a firearm. If you buy a car simply because it looks cute, you may be getting yourself into hot water. If you buy a gun simply because it's pink you may end up with something that is difficult for you to shoot. I've seen it happen first hand and more than one woman I know regrets it. My comment was not meant to flame anyone and if it came across that way you have my apologies. I just think it's a really bad idea to say "it has to be pink" when so many other factors are far more important when choosing something that you may have to use to defend your life. And whether we like it or not it does feed a stereotype. Some women are okay with that but when people automatically suggest pink guns for women just because of their gender (again...first hand experience) it's a bit ridiculous. You want it pink, purple, rainbow, flowers, or polka dots, fine. Whatever. But don't get something just because of that. Yes I'm aware you can buy a gun you like and have it coated, but the OP made it sound like the original color was a deciding factor. Some people truly are that way and don't want to take the time or effort to customize it themselves. Again, not trying to judge, not trying to flame, just hoping that someone wouldn't purchase a weapon on looks alone. And after reading your post, I now want fried pickles. Thanks for that...

You were understood loud and clear.

It's not your decision to make and if color is the primary factor, that's none of your damn business.

Who the hell said she was purchasing based on looks alone? All I read was that the OP said one of the criteria was that it had to be pink.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm a big fan of colored guns, personalized guns and anything else that gets people involved in the shooting sports.

My daughter's favorite pistol is a traditional blued steel Hi-Power, but she also has a pink Taurus 9mm. For rifles she has 2 different pink AR15s and a pink laminated wood Ruger 10/22. But her shotgun is as old school as you can find with a nicely figured walnut stocked O/U with very traditional color case-hardened receiver. She loves beautiful guns, but she also enjoys here pink guns too.

One of the things I've found is that color alters NON-shooters perceptions of the guns. I've got some elderly relatives and I've showed them one of my traditional black AR15s next to one of Melen's bright pink AR15s. They've said that my gun is 'evil' and 'bad' but her gun is 'cute.' Hmm???

I don't think a pink gun will get someone interested in guns. Its clearly not the primary reason my daughter got into shooting. But if it lets her feel pride in her sport, or express her individuality, then I see NOTHING wrong with colorful guns. Now let me ask, how is a tactical OD GREEN or COYOTE TAN colored gun in the hands of a guy any different than a PINK or PURPLE colored gun in the hands of a woman?

How about the guys who dress up their CZ, Sig, Beretta or Colt pistols with fancy wood grips or with inlayed silver, stone, etc? Why do guys do this? Does it add function? Or is it just the guy way of personalizing a gun and therefore its acceptable?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You were understood loud and clear.

It's not your decision to make and if color is the primary factor, that's none of your damn business.

Who the hell said she was purchasing based on looks alone? All I read was that the OP said one of the criteria was that it had to be pink.

Wow and i'm the one being judgmental. Yes OP says it has to be pink. Having to have it be a certain color above all else to me says that's a purchase point. No other criteria were listed. Again, that makes me think color is a purchase point. Maybe it isn't my business if color is the primary factor, however IF this person maybe isn't very knowledgable about firearms (I don't know either way) it IS my opinion that it would scare me to have someone purchase what they know nothing about besides it's pretty. Maybe this woman is a firearms expert. I have no idea. Maybe she knows nothing about guns besides they go boom, but would take some kind of firearms training. I have no idea. Maybe she would put a pretty gun in her purse and not know what to do with it. I just don't know. I was simply stating an opinion that got blown way out of proportion because it doesn't jive with the opinions of the majority. Oh, RedneckReject thinks color shouldn't be the sole criteria for a weapon. Let's get her! I truly hope she finds a gun she loves. Seriously. I just don't want her to end up like many others I've seen that buy a gun they don't know what to do with when the SHTF. THAT was the point I was trying to make. If you don't see it that way that's fine, but don't tell me I was trying to make an entirely different point. I apologized for coming off harshly. I tried to properly re-word in hopes that people would understand what I was trying to say. If you still don't, then fine. But I'm not going to feel bad for thinking safety and knowledge comes first, fashion and personal style second. If people wanna tell me I "deserve negative rep" for thinking safety is always first that's their business.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I brought this home for the wife today.

2012-10-15_16-51-22_573.jpg

But after reading some of these posts I am not sure if I should take it back or just jump off a cliff. At the end of the day what difference does the color make?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I brought this home for the wife today.

2012-10-15_16-51-22_573.jpg

But after reading some of these posts I am not sure if I should take it back or just jump off a cliff. At the end of the day what difference does the color make?

Color matters not as long as you know what you're doing (or willing to learn) with what you have. Apparently I have a problem with getting thoughts from my brain, through my fingers, and onto the keyboard without sounding like a jerk. I absolutely never intend to be "that person" who thinks all other opinions are wrong. I've already apologized for coming across as harsh, judgmental, insensitive, or whatever. People can either accept that or they can't. :)

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am not sure if I should take it back or just jump off a cliff.

Don't do it, tom!!!

That gun actually looks pretty cool. Just because something isn't my personal style doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. Congrats to your wife on the new gun :)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Color matters not as long as you know what you're doing (or willing to learn) with what you have. Apparently I have a problem with getting thoughts from my brain, through my fingers, and onto the keyboard without sounding like a jerk. I absolutely never intend to be "that person" who thinks all other opinions are wrong. I've already apologized for coming across as harsh, judgmental, insensitive, or whatever. People can either accept that or they can't. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I have ticked off my fair share of fellow members.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Don't do it, tom!!!

That gun actually looks pretty cool. Just because something isn't my personal style doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. Congrats to your wife on the new gun :)

Thanks! This is the first pink gun she has owned. The rest are the normal boring colors.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    My signature should read "Disclaimer: I'm going to offend you. Take me with a grain of salt! (or more like an entire salt shaker)" :laugh:

Don't worry about it, someone somewhere is always going to get upset about something....it's guaranteed! I think you should add the disclaimer, I like it!:):

Top Bottom