• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I need help deciding on my next purchase. I have been looking at buying a gsg5 rifle for awhile, and now that the sd's are out from the shot show, I am ready to pull the trigger and get it on the way....but then I see, that Colt finally came out with their M4 Replica .22 (which I was waiting on as well). And so I am looking for opinions....as Ive dragged my feet too much and am going to buy this week.

So, does anyone have a comparison between these two rifles? I honestly have thought about just buying both, as GSG's appear to maintain their used value, but mostly I am stuck because of the details with the Colt. Such as: lack of part interchanging with ar's, lack of magazine options, and I was told they dont have a threaded barrel. The smaller colt "cons" make me lean towars getting just a gsg, and then looking for a dedicated .22 upper. But when I start to read about all the different ones out there, the prices seem to be close to the Colt (and its a complete unit), and the opinons and reviews are like a Ford vs Chevy argument.

Helpful opinions and comments greatly appreciated (preferably firsthand knowledge & experience). I dont want this to turn into a 10-22 vs everything else thread :):, as I will pick one of those up eventually.

Thanks in advance...will post pics after I decide.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I forgot to mention I have a dealer who has both the Colt M4, and GSG5 that he can get in the mail to me tomorrow, but my foot keeps dragging. I dont know if it would be better to just get a 22upper for my bushmaster carbon 15 (or just start a new build-which sounds fun but is time consuming). Also, I would like to install a silencer on one of the two, any experience in that would be helpful as well. That youtube video of the GSG5 silenced somewhere in Europe keeps calling me...:)

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Both

I have owned the GSG and now have the Colt. They both have their downfalls. The colt does have a threaded barrel and just needs an adapter for a P-22 to be suppressor and only requires the suppressor tax stamp whereas the GSG will require 2 tax stamps , cutting of the barrel and an adapter. When I had the GSG it functioned flawlessly and was a lot of fun to shoot. Accessories were a little hard to come by and expensive when found. The Colt has nothing in common internally with an AR but will accept a foreguards, sights, handgrips and such from an AR. They both require their own specific mag. I like the fact that the Colt has a tunable bolt for different ammo. I would not hesitate to own either.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Simon is the savvy owner of everything .22! Don't forget the added benefit of a dedicated upper. A good point on companies that make them is that a lot of them use the same magazine; and, you can use the lower on another project... like a .458 SOCOM or something... 6.5 Grendel?

I like that I can use the lower on a host of different ARs.

That Colt is one of the two that I would pick. Although it has a couple proprietary items I don't like, it is a quality item that is made by a good company. And who doesn't need a new complete .22?

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I recently got a CMMG stainless conversion and run it in a 5.56mm AR upper. It is very fun and I have had zero malfunctions (only 500 rds so far). If you already have an AR I'd consider getting a drop in conversion kit and some extra mags.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    The Colt is actually made by Umarex-
    Here is a thread started over at rimfirecentral.com-
    Probably the best forum when it comes to rimfires, hands down!

Colt Umarex M4 OPS - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I do not own the Colt, however I have never had issues with the GSG.
    They both will have their problems, seems like the GSG is going to be a keeper, its been around for awhile now and its worked out alot of its kinks-
    They shoot great!

The Colts major downfall is that parts are not interchangeable with AR parts. A CMMG .22lr conversion is your best bet if you want a AR in .22lr-
    Or go with a dedicated upper-(Spikes Tactical, exp.)

My vote would go for the GSG-5PK!
    SRB/Silencer-2 tax stamps and you get this-it should service its purpose.
    My :twocents:!

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I love the information on here! Keep the opinions coming, they have been very helpful. Ok, so I think Im definately sold on the GSG (great pics doglb). For those who know, is it better to get the rifle version, or pistol version (when planning to sbr/silence)? Im not sure if it even matters when you consider the double tax stamps. I had heard gemtech was possibly making a permanent suppressor, which would save on one stamp, but could never actually find it for sale on their site....

I am still on the fence about the colt. Simon, as you have one, do you know if any other mags will fit? I dont care for the looks of the current, and the ten round, well is just too small. Lastly, would you reccomend the colt over the sig or ruger? Forgive me for all of the questions, but I have always been satisfied with my Marlin 60..until now.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Colt

Colt does not accept any other mags. I bought one specifically to use for steel plate matches. I will never trust it over my Rugers. I own 15 10/22's and can repair anything i need to on them or build them anyway I want. The Colt is a very fun gun and the closest I will probably ever get to an AR.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    the puma wildcat with the 50 rnd drum would be fun but for a tactical situation id go with a gsg5pk alot more compact easy to move around.ive owned one for almost a year now shot around 3000 rounds so far no hiccups yet great all around gun.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Thanks for all of the help!! Ive been on the fence so long about the GSG5 that I had to get one. I couldnt stand the thought that I might regret is someday....I used to work at hospice care in college, and many of the passing had a similar regret, "That they should of taken more chance, a little more risk." I truly believe in that, therefore no matter the outcome, youve lived life a little fuller....

So that said, Im back staring at the calendar and waiting on BOTH the Colt and the GSG5 to arrive. And in the meantime Im now on the search for silencer, accessories, and sbr education (for a newbie). I found the thread on INGO for newbie class 3 info, but was wondering if anyone new the best place online for accessories or silencers?

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Thanks again to members, especially simon and dog . I really appreciate all of the help and info, especially since I have only had experience with hunting rilfes and personal defense pistols up until now. But isnt that half the fun of being a collector, taking a chance on an unknown (not to see if it is perfect), but to see if it is perfect for you....and Im sure these arent the last toys Ill be buying this summer. So feel free to keep this thread going with some tips and pics for tac22 weapons.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Another vote for Spikes.

Its been more reliable than my Savage Mark II, Ruger 10/22 and Henry Lever action. It shoots federal ammo 100% (unless you account for dud rounds in which case its about 99%). Definitely my vote for a tactical 22lr.

4712_108972376600_581381600_2408179_7832090_n.jpg

Or if your cheap for a 10/22, ive got around $350 into this gun. A fun cheap plinker for sure. :ar15:
    4157_100413201600_581381600_2271435_8269039_n.jpg

Of the two your looking at though id say go with the colt. But its just that im not a MP5 guy, or HK for that matter. :dunno:

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I really like your stock. What is that pad, cmmg? I wish the spikes were easier to find (and slightly cheaper). Its hard to pay more for half of a rifle, but I definately can see why they are worth the money. I will still keep my eyes open for one. I wish they had it in carbon, i love my bushmaster carbon 15, but iv read bad reviews (which like all may or may not be true), about the bushmaster carbon 22lr upper...

Or does your stock pad say CAA? Either way, the important questions are: where? and how much to get one? Even though I work too much and shoot too little, I like to keep the toys gleaming...

Last edited by a moderator:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ya its a CAA, its a $25 - $30 dollar unit from Midway, Cabelas or the like. Well worth 5 times that, it truly does wonders. On the spikes, I got mine used but it still cost a pretty penny for sure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom