• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Ive only had 2 pocket guns a keltec p32 which I only fired a couple mags through before trading it off so cany say yay or nah on that one. Irecently got a kahr cw380 and I love this gun Im below the break in period but ive had zero issues so far and the trigger is reamarkably better than a keltec or lcp. I recommend a cw380 or kahr.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I carry the Kahr 380 as well. Unbelievably small. Nice trigger as D says. Good backup gun when carrying something heavier, but small enough to carry full time. I have it next to my wallet on the shelf. When I leave the house, I pick up the wallet and the Kahr.

I've have zero fte, but I let a couple of female relatives give it a try and they both stovepiped it. Must be a grip problem because it never failed when I shot it.

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    The first thing you need to consider is caliber. When you are talking about a "pocket carry" gun, you are looking for something small. That will certainly limit your options. I went thru this very same dilemma not so long ago. My smallest gun for carry up to this point was/is a Springfield XDs 9mm with 3.3" barrel. Though it is small, it just wasn't small enough for a pocket rocket. There are a few options out there in 9mm that are smaller yet. But I have big hands and they felt a little too small for a 9mm to me. I don't mind recoil. But in a defensive carry gun, I want something "soft" for quick and accurate follow-ups in case it might be necessary. So I ended up venturing into yet another caliber. This was something I had desperately been trying to avoid. Long story short, I ended up buying the Sig P238. It is small, feels good in the hand, shoots great, easy to rack (even for women) and most models come with night sights. And it is pretty easy to conceal, even in a pocket. I bought a DeSantis Super Fly Holster so I could pocket carry in dress casual attire. It does create a bit of a bulge in your pocket. But it does not cry out "I've got a gun in pocket". It actually looks a lot like a wallet or cell phone. I was tempted to step up to the P938 for a 9mm. But honestly it is almost identical in size to my XDs. The measurements don't seem that much different. But it really is more significant than you might think.

You might go to a shop and try sliding a few in your pocket just to see how it fits and feels.
    thanks for the insight. I appreciate the feedback.

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    Go check out Point Blank Range/Shop up in Carmel. They have all the guns mentioned and are pretty good about doing side by side comparisons, etc. The Shield, and both P238 and P938 models are at the rental counter. Pay $10 and shoot as many of the rentals as you want. They have a nice collection of many of the P238's too.

I have both the LCP and a 9mm Shield. Both get used almost daily.

Good luck and welcome to INGO!
    I might have to do that. I live about 2 1/2 hours north though.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    The problem with .380s is that you have to be very picky when it comes to ammo. Most rounds aren't going to expand and the ones that do won't penetrator deep enough. (Watch shootingthebull410 on YouTube's Ammo quest for some decent ones)... That said, I carry a p938 every day and still have the p238 I carried before it, and it still gets carried ocassionally. If I were you I'd try to get hands on either of the Sigs or check out the LCP custom that I saw at Gander Mt. It has actual sights and a much better trigger. I know because I've shot my sister's LCP.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Kahr P380 is the finest true pocket pistol I have ever owned. Great quality and very accurate for a small gun. If your on a budget, the cw380 would be my recommendation. While I certainly like Glocks the kahr is smaller and has a safer trigger for pocket carry than the G42.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've have zero fte, but I let a couple of female relatives give it a try and they both stovepiped it. Must be a grip problem because it never failed when I shot it.

I will second this. A firm wrist is a necessity for little blowback pistols like the LCP and Keltec .32/.380.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP asked for some opinions and I will share mine. Take it for what it is worth. I have shot a lot of different handguns. My current pocket gun is a S&W642. Have not seen anything yet that has changed my mind about that decision.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't have experience with the 938, but I do own and love my P238. That's a fantastic little gun that just disappears in a pocket. That gun disappears so well, my oldest son made it disappear into his own pocket instead of mine.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Polaris Pro, sorry I was slow to get back but the shied is a bit bigger than the Kahr from your question up thread but I was talking to someone else about this today actually.

I would like to add that if this is going to be your primary carry gun I would try and get a 9mm, if it's a bug then don't worry too much about which you get if you really do want a "pocket gun." Sadly a gun like the shield, or a glock would be great but they are really kind of big for pocket guns. At least for most pockets.
    Sigs, or Kahrs would be much better compared to your lcp as they would be much similar in size when sticking with the 380's at least.

I will say though, if you can do a 9mm I would recommend it! But one on your belt would be ideal! Shield would be a perfect gun for you to have on your belt and keep it small for example. Then the pocket gun is just when you can't have it on your belt/ a backup. I found putting a little 380 in my pocket was like wearing a watch. Felt naked when I didn't have it, one it insured I always had something even if lounging in pjs at home and walking away from my holstered/normally belt carried gun that's on a table or wherever. (If I have to use my pocket pistol there is a real problem basically and lack of preparedness.)

I know that was kind of off topic to you asking for pocket pistol recommendations. But I was going over this with a guy earlier trying to get him to carry a gun on his belt and talking about pocket guns and thought I'd share. Still those pistols recommended in the thread won't disappoint in my experience.

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    Thank you to everyone who posted. I found a lot of good information. I plan on comparing all of your recommendations by going to a store and getting some "hands on" info.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have a Ruger LCP, but I originally bought it for my wife. I'm looking for something similar in size to carry myself. I like that you can keep it in your pocket and it's easy to carry....

Maybe I missed it, but why not another LCP if you like it? Then you've got common operation among the pocket guns and they can also share mags.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Ruger LCP, but I originally bought it for my wife. I'm looking for something similar in size to carry myself. I like that you can keep it in your pocket and it's easy to carry. I've thought about purchasing a Sig P238 or a P938. Anyone have experience with these or other options?

My next pocket gun will be a S&W Model 60, with a 3" barrel. it will take roomy pockets.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes it will. Plus strong stitching because they ain't light.

Yep. I have shot my dad's a number of times, it's a great little gun. Not as nice as the 66, but a great little gun in it's own right. I am not much a fan of hte featherweights. Wen I get a gun, I shoot the heck out of it. I might be tempted to get a shoulder rig for it.

Top Bottom