• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    I have a Ruger LCP, but I originally bought it for my wife. I'm looking for something similar in size to carry myself. I like that you can keep it in your pocket and it's easy to carry. I've thought about purchasing a Sig P238 or a P938. Anyone have experience with these or other options?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    They are great little carry pistols so long as you're ok with it having a safety. They are very easy to rack for ladies. They are very easy to take care of and shoot very very well. The night sights are also very good!

While the Sigs are great, if you are unsure or want to check out a few other things I would suggest looking into a Kahr cw380 or cm9. And if you can get a bit bigger Glock 43 or S&W shield (great gun).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Also welcome to INGO I just saw that was you first post... Glad you've joined. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgable people here!

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    They are great little carry pistols so long as you're ok with it having a safety. They are very easy to rack for ladies. They are very easy to take care of and shoot very very well. The night sights are also very good!

While the Sigs are great, if you are unsure or want to check out a few other things I would suggest looking into a Kahr cw380 or cm9. And if you can get a bit bigger Glock 43 or S&W shield (great gun).
    I will definitely look into the Kahr's.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    While looking up the Kahr, they compared its size to a M&P shield. Does anyone have any experience with the shield?

Welcome! I don't own one, nor have I shot one. But I've held a couple of friends' Shields. They seem to be just a bit too big to be a pocket pistol. Awesome reputation, though. People that own them seem to love those little things.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I have a Sig P938 and couldn't be happier. For its size, the recoil is very manageable, plus you get the benefit of having 9mm instead of .380. Also, no matter how you choose to carry, that Sig will basically disappear. Unless something better comes along, I don't see myself being without one.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger LCP, but I originally bought it for my wife. I'm looking for something similar in size to carry myself. I like that you can keep it in your pocket and it's easy to carry. I've thought about purchasing a Sig P238 or a P938. Anyone have experience with these or other options?

I've owned a CM9, LCP, and P938. I'm sure you already know this, but the LCP is a different league of size and weight vs. the 9mm options.

The CM9 is the lightest and smallest of the 9's that have been listed in this thread. The P938 is actually more similar in size to the CM9 than what it looks like; you'll have to hold them side by side to see. The CM9 was a good gun, but I liked the idea of a single action trigger and night sights.

I'm 6'0 and 160 lbs. I have a hard time pocket carrying the Sig (and also the Kahr) in jeans. I wear tighter fitting clothes and I am probably a little more conscious about it than others. Anyway, you might have better luck with it. I can pocket carry them with my shorts.

If I were you, I would try to test fire a couple to see how you handle the recoil. I grew up shooting some heavy caliber pistols, so I'm not as recoil sensitive as some. However, I could see how a small pocket 9's recoil could really affect someone's shooting.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Feel free to PM if you think I can answer any other questions!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have had a couple of Shields, 9 and 40, they were both a bit too large for pocket carry for me. I went with a Sig P290RS, just a bit smaller than the Shield and a DAO without a safety.Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a Sig P938 as my EDC weapon, and it fits nicely in the pocket of pair of khaki shorts or some other loose-fitting pants. I tend to carry it IWB (and it just disappears), but it is small enough to carry just about anywhere. I have carried it a few times as a pocket carry, but it is just not my favorite way to carry.

I had an older version that would get occasional misfeeds, but they redesigned the MSH and sear spring, and since getting the upgrade to the new design, I have not had a single issue. Any new gun will have that new design, so no worries there. The Sig is an amazing, quality gun, and I would recommend it highly. I carry it "cocked and locked" since it is a SAO design, and you should definitely practice drawing and releasing the safety if you are not familiar with the design.

Any questions, let me know.

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    I have a Sig P938 and couldn't be happier. For its size, the recoil is very manageable, plus you get the benefit of having 9mm instead of .380. Also, no matter how you choose to carry, that Sig will basically disappear. Unless something better comes along, I don't see myself being without one.
    Thanks for the reply. That was also what I was thinking. It seems like 9mm is much easier to find (especially on sale).

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    I have a Sig P938 as my EDC weapon, and it fits nicely in the pocket of pair of khaki shorts or some other loose-fitting pants. I tend to carry it IWB (and it just disappears), but it is small enough to carry just about anywhere. I have carried it a few times as a pocket carry, but it is just not my favorite way to carry.

I had an older version that would get occasional misfeeds, but they redesigned the MSH and sear spring, and since getting the upgrade to the new design, I have not had a single issue. Any new gun will have that new design, so no worries there. The Sig is an amazing, quality gun, and I would recommend it highly. I carry it "cocked and locked" since it is a SAO design, and you should definitely practice drawing and releasing the safety if you are not familiar with the design.

Any questions, let me know.
    Thanks for the info. What kind of holster do you use?

POLARIS PRO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2015
    NE Indiana
    I have had a couple of Shields, 9 and 40, they were both a bit too large for pocket carry for me. I went with a Sig P290RS, just a bit smaller than the Shield and a DAO without a safety.Welcome to the site.
    That helps, because I would like something to carry in my shorts during the summer.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I started my pocket carry journey with a j-frame in a Desantis Nemesis holster (size 02). I loved the gun but didn't shoot it that well.

I am currently using a Glock 42 in the same holster for pocket carry. I shoot it better, but it's a bit tougher to draw as quick as the j-frame. That thing came out like greased lightning because it didn't have a slide.

I also really liked shooting the Shield in 9mm although I don't own one. I think it would fit in my jeans pocket pretty easily. It pretty much has the same foot print as the G42.

Another option that often gets overlooked it the Seacamp LWS in .380. This is a truly small pocket gun. About half the size of the Shield and much smaller than even the LCP.

images

Last edited:

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The first thing you need to consider is caliber. When you are talking about a "pocket carry" gun, you are looking for something small. That will certainly limit your options. I went thru this very same dilemma not so long ago. My smallest gun for carry up to this point was/is a Springfield XDs 9mm with 3.3" barrel. Though it is small, it just wasn't small enough for a pocket rocket. There are a few options out there in 9mm that are smaller yet. But I have big hands and they felt a little too small for a 9mm to me. I don't mind recoil. But in a defensive carry gun, I want something "soft" for quick and accurate follow-ups in case it might be necessary. So I ended up venturing into yet another caliber. This was something I had desperately been trying to avoid. Long story short, I ended up buying the Sig P238. It is small, feels good in the hand, shoots great, easy to rack (even for women) and most models come with night sights. And it is pretty easy to conceal, even in a pocket. I bought a DeSantis Super Fly Holster so I could pocket carry in dress casual attire. It does create a bit of a bulge in your pocket. But it does not cry out "I've got a gun in pocket". It actually looks a lot like a wallet or cell phone. I was tempted to step up to the P938 for a 9mm. But honestly it is almost identical in size to my XDs. The measurements don't seem that much different. But it really is more significant than you might think.

You might go to a shop and try sliding a few in your pocket just to see how it fits and feels.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Go check out Point Blank Range/Shop up in Carmel. They have all the guns mentioned and are pretty good about doing side by side comparisons, etc. The Shield, and both P238 and P938 models are at the rental counter. Pay $10 and shoot as many of the rentals as you want. They have a nice collection of many of the P238's too.

I have both the LCP and a 9mm Shield. Both get used almost daily.

Good luck and welcome to INGO!

Top Bottom