• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I'm interested in purchasing or trading for a kahr handgun to carry. would anyone who has any suggestions on models they like and recommend. I have never shot one before so open to any ideas. Disliked models would be helpful as well. thanks:n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Budget concerned: CW-9 + at least 1 more mag.

Higher $: P-9

Money no big deal: Any of the steel-framed guns.

Personally, I don't have much good to say about Kahr's polymer framed guns in anything other than 9mm. Many others have no qualms.

-J-

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm interested in purchasing or trading for a kahr handgun to carry. would anyone who has any suggestions on models they like and recommend. I have never shot one before so open to any ideas. Disliked models would be helpful as well. thanks:n00b:

I've got a CM9 and a P380 that I love, although I think their quality can be hit or miss.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I have an older MK9 that I love. Shoots great for a tiny little thing. Has Crimson Trace grips which make it even better!

On my list of next to get guns is a PM45 as well.

Mark

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have been around the barn 3 times looking for the perfect CC gun. I am a big Glock fan and like the 19&26, but for me they are just to brick-like to CC everyday/allday. I have tried Kel-tec, j frames,LC9,Charter Arms,AMT, and I can list many more. A friend of mine bought a little Kahr .40 and I liked the way it felt and shot. I ran across a like new Kahr CW9 and bought it. I have to say for me, It is the best CC gun I have ever had.Of all the small carry guns I have had,I feel the Glock 26 was the best shooting gun I have. The CW9 is just as good shooter as the 26, but much easier to carry. Kahr has a 200 round breakin period. I have never had the first problem out of my CW9. And it will eat any ammo I have put through it. This is not a range gun,but a gun I trust. You may want to check out the KAHR TALK forum. Alot of great people over there.They know the diff. models and can tell you what to look for. And what to stay away from.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have an older MK9 that I love. Shoots great for a tiny little thing. Has Crimson Trace grips which make it even better!

On my list of next to get guns is a PM45 as well.

Mark

I've got the PM 45 and I am lukewarm on it. I haven't decided to sell it yet but I am close. Trigger is great, accuracy is great, and it's no longer throwing brass at my head or jamming now that it is broken in, but I'm not warmed up to it.

I bought it as a deeper concealment backup but it's a hair too big for that, so I may sell it. I was going to get a PM40 which is smaller, but wanted something that used the ammo I was already carrying.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    dpbstevens- Kahr has a lot of very similar models out there. If you help with a few details, we can provide more specific guidance:

1- Do you want or care about metal vs. polymer frames?
    2- Any idea what calibers- .380, 9mm, .40, and/or .45?
    3- Do you think you will be wanting to pocket carry or will you want something that is a little larger and more likely to fill your hand and likely require belt carry?

Answering any/all of these will help to narrow down the possibilities. Thanks.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Depends on your preferences (as pudly mentioned).

My MK9 is my preferred carry gun. I find its size easy to conceal IWB or in a jacket pocket. It's definitely heavy for its size, but I like the heft. It doesn't have as much "snap" when shooting as some of the compact, polymer framed guns.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm with Littlejoe. My primary CC is the CW9 and it is far and away the best pistol for that job. Granted, some Kahrs can be dodgie out of the box, but my CW has never failed, ever; and I took it from the store straight to the range.

I checked out the new CM9 when they came out a few months ago, but for me, it was too small. I do not like my little finger swinging in the wind; I want to know and feel I have control of any pistol I carry.

For about $375 I'm not sure you can beat the CW9.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I bought a PM9 a few years ago, and it functioned perfectly right out of the box, even in the "break-in period". I never had a failure of any kind, and it carried nicely in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

I ended up selling it. I'm not really sure why...I guess at the time I was a little nervous about pocket-carrying a pistol without an external safety. Since then, I've reconsidered that issue. I think that, in a proper holster, pocket carry is reasonably safe.

I also wasn't very accurate with the PM9. Something about the balance of the pistol didn't work well for me, and when I was shooting it, I found myself wishing that it were actually a bit heavier.

I just purchased an MK40, which is very close to the PM9 in size, although significantly heavier. It fits in the same holster that I purchased for the PM9, and I'm going to take it to the range for the first time tomorrow. I'm kind of excited about the MK40--there doesn't seem to be another option for a pocket 9/.40 with an actual metal frame, although polymer 9s seem to be the in thing lately. Everyone wants something lightweight, and the PM9/PM40 fits the bill. But I'm interested in how bothersome the extra weight of the MK40 will actually be, once I've test-fired it and carry it a few times.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    If you are looking at a 9mm you cannot go wrong with the CM9 or PM9. The 7 round magazine gives you a grip similar to the CW9.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    A Kahr model? They have pics of some fine looking models on their web site ;-)

Seriously, I have two - a CM9 for pocket carry and a TP45 as my EDC. I would have got the TP9 instead of the TP45, but if I am going to carry a single stack with relatively limited ammo capacity, I want those bullets to smack the crap out of my target...

That being said, as a daily carry piece any of the mid-size models (like the CW, K or P series) or the slightly larger TP or T series guns are good. I personally want to get a T9, because...well just look at it (Kahr T9 - Style # KT9093, Kahr Arms Pistols).

You should break the gun in thoroughly like it says in the instructions.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Although it's heavy for size, my K40 has been flawless. My CW9 is the perfect size and weight to carry, but it's had light strike issues. I cured it the first time with some new springs. After 5-600 rounds it started again. This time I went with an extra power [22 lb.] recoil spring. I'll try that first before I replace the striker spring.

I really want the CW9 to work because it so nice to carry. I'll find out this weekend.

Top Bottom