• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    A friend recently came to me asking for help. His out of state father recently passed away. While he was going through his dad's gun collection, he came across a fully auto AK-47. The family does not have any paperwork whatsoever for this weapon. Is there a way that he can register it so that he can legally own or transfer it?

9mmsubgun-m11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Have your friends family contact their lawyer and explain the situation to him. The lawyer can contact ATF and give them the serial number and find out the status of said MG. If contraband,could possibly be cut up for a parts kit or donated to a museum.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    the ATF is a scary spectre that will show up at your door the minute you even THINK about cutting down a shotgun

that said, getting caught with an illegal weapon is a pretty serious charge, and a monkey you dont want on your back. figure out how legal it is and go about it the right way.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've read a lot of the other posts, but am still confused as to what options are available. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Call your boss at the ATF and tell him you're not getting any bites on INGO. :D

Seriously though, your question has been answered and even the thread I was going to quote has been quoted. I had nothing more to add.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Stupid question, but what makes your friend think it's FA? I mean you claim he/she was just "going through" them and has no idea how to handle this. With such limited knowledge, no evidence to substantiate the ability to determine FA.

I wondered ths as well. I know I would recognize a full auto AK at a glance, but I believe the vast majority would not. Also most people that could tell by looking would also have some understanding of NFA regulations.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    MontereyC6 - thanks for the link. That helped!

ThrottleJockey and Chezuki - my friend is also a prior Marine. We tend to know our small arms and their capabilities.
    Glad to know, I have a prior/non-active marine friend that barely knows the difference between a bic stik pen and a PC....(plenty of others that know arms too but the point still stands and in the OP there was no evidence or even claim of evidence).

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Glad to know, I have a prior/non-active marine friend that barely knows the difference between a bic stik pen and a PC....(plenty of others that know arms too but the point still stands and in the OP there was no evidence or even claim of evidence).

All Marines are riflemen first, but your buddy must have been a supply or admin pogue! Some of our warriors are more of a warrior than the next....if that makes sense! Unless you're one of the few and the proud, I guess it might be a little hard to understand.

In my first post I was trying to be vague enough that I'd get my answer, but not give away too much. Exact details didn't really bear on the overall question.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    All Marines are riflemen first, but your buddy must have been a supply or admin pogue! Some of our warriors are more of a warrior than the next....if that makes sense! Unless you're one of the few and the proud, I guess it might be a little hard to understand.

In my first post I was trying to be vague enough that I'd get my answer, but not give away too much. Exact details didn't really bear on the overall question.
    Oh, I know! Doesn't change things any though. I think more critically though, hence my post. Not starting anything, just sayin':cool:

Top Bottom