• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    This thread could fit many places, so I put in general. This year, we have decided on trying hunting whitetail with handguns. While hers was bought as a complete package revolver, ammo, bandiler (see "her birthday 686) - I am starting off with a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag with 9 1/2" barrel. I have the factory scope rings (30mm I believe) and want to put a scope on this instead of a red dot. A quick search for handgun scopes had thousands of scopes from $79.99 to over $700. I really have no idea what I need. This revolver as of now, will only be used for hunting. I would prefer the scope to sit more forward instead of hanging over the hammer 3-4 inches as usually seen if possible.

My budget is a little low, and I have no idea if I will persue handgun hunting into the next year, so I don't want the best, however, I want one that will stay zero'ed in and work fairly well. Commets or experience please. At this point, I have never shot any handgun with a scope, only red dots. This is my first owned 44mag, so I'm not even sure on practical distance?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This thread could fit many places, so I put in general. This year, we have decided on trying hunting whitetail with handguns. While hers was bought as a complete package revolver, ammo, bandiler (see "her birthday 686) - I am starting off with a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag with 9 1/2" barrel. I have the factory scope rings (30mm I believe) and want to put a scope on this instead of a red dot. A quick search for handgun scopes had thousands of scopes from $79.99 to over $700. I really have no idea what I need. This revolver as of now, will only be used for hunting. I would prefer the scope to sit more forward instead of hanging over the hammer 3-4 inches as usually seen if possible.

My budget is a little low, and I have no idea if I will persue handgun hunting into the next year, so I don't want the best, however, I want one that will stay zero'ed in and work fairly well. Commets or experience please. At this point, I have never shot any handgun with a scope, only red dots. This is my first owned 44mag, so I'm not even sure on practical distance?

this is the first optics question i can remember in a long time that hasn't been ask before and you couldn't direct the op to a old thread.

reps to you.

unforchantly i know nothing about handgun scopes

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have limited experience with handgun scopes.
    I have this one:
    Leupold FX-II Pistol Scope 2x 20mm Duplex Reticle Silver - MidwayUSA
    It's pretty good, but i didn't pay that much, it came as a package and I'm glad. It has held zero with no problem. It's 2x zoom which i think is plenty for the range of a handgun. I had no problem holding it on at 100 yards.
    With ruger rings on a super black hawk, it sits well forward of the hammer.

My friend had a scope on his SuperRedhawk but i can not think of what kind it was. It had larger lenses at both ends and i really think it gathered light better. In the evening(or morning for hunting) it seemed to have a much clearer image as it got darker. Also, the cross hairs seemed to be illuminated or would catch some light and make them stand out very well too. He just called, It was a Nikon Monarch. I was sure it was a fixed 2x scope, but i can't find one like that online. I shot it all one afternoon so i hope i would have figured out it had adjustable zoom when i was shooting it. But i never looked for that either. Anywho, I liked this one better than the leupold that i have and it looks cheaper. On a ruger exactly like yours, we shot a group under 1.3" at 35 yards. BUT as i remember, it DID hang over the hammer spur, which you said you didn't want and it was annoying.

You might look for one specifically for hunting. You need one that works very well in low light and that will be hard to judge in a store. Mine is not adjustable and i think that's fine for hunting, but i also think it would be interesting to have some zoom. If you where hunting and you turned up the zoom, i think you would appear very shaky and it could hurt your shot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a Burris on my SRH, the 2-7x32mm. It does not get in the way of the hammer, but it does hang over. I think if you don't want it to hang over you're going to need a red dot of some kind. Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics"

I think the rings that come with the SRH are 1".

The higher the power, the more problems you are going to have with eye relief, especially with a variable power scope, so keep that in mind when you are shopping.

If money matters you may want a fixed power scope. I would suggest in the 2-4x range for deer handgun hunting, and 4x is probably too much for the ranges typical in Indiana. If you're at 4x and a deer walks by at 25 yards you'll have a hard time finding the shoulder.

At 50 yards with a SRH it's possible (easy?) to get 2-3" groups. 100 yards is within reach, but at least in the places I've hunted, I would not be able to take a 100 yard shot. (Too many trees in the way.)

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I also have a RSR 9.5" stainless.
    I have a red dot on mine, shooting Federal Hydra-Shok's sighted in at 75 yards.
    Have taken 5 deer with it, the farthest shot being 85yds, double lung. Although This year i am thinking of trying the hornady LeveRevolution ammo.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    You will need to decide for yourself but I have found the 2X fixed scopes tend to make the object look smaller and don't care for them. A 2-6x/(2-7x) would work. If you want a smaller foorprint Weaver makes a 1.5-4x.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    The nice thing about here is you will get a lot of opinions... so here is mine. The SRH is a great gun (i sold mine to go to something concealeable). I didn;t have optics on mine though. On the handguns with scopes I have shot it seems WAY too hard to hold steady. Accuracy is relative. When I was shooting the SRH I could hit an 8" pie plate at 100 yards. This should be good enoughto hunt with. Before I get flamed for that what is the size of a deer's kill zone? If you want a tack driver and shoot from a rest then by all means go with a scope. As we get older our eyesight goes too. If you are hunting from a stand with something to rest against a scope might be the way to go also. Be ready to think you can't possibly hit anything with as much as it appears to shake. Which, in my opinion is exaggerated with the pie plate kill zone mentallity.

As I said I never put a scope on my SRH. But, with the facory rings you may not be able to keep from having the scope over the hammer. You might need to have a base installed to accomidate a longer eye relief scope.

Just my two pennies worth. Hope it helps.

PS. When I got my Marlin in 44 I couldn't believe I used to shoot that caliber out of a handgun:D

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have a SRH -w- 7.5" barrel chambered in .480, and it wears a Burris 2x7 EER. How high the scope sits is easy to change with a Ruger SRH, because the way the rings are designed, you only need to buy one ,,, that's right I said "only one" ring.
    The rings that come -w- the revolver are for a 1" tube, and are the lowest height mount. The back ring will be the shortest, stock number 3KTG, and the front will be taller, stock number 4KTG. To raise the scope up to the next level, you will need to move the 4KTG ring to the back, and purchase a 5KTG ring for the front. This will raise the scope up quite a bit, and allow plenty of room to cock the hammer, even with some pretty heavy gloves on.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    it seems WAY too hard to hold steady.

I agree that when you start out it does seem hard to hold steady. I think in reality this is just illustrating how shakey you are all the time. With some practice and dry firing, i think i am much more steady than i was when i first got this gun. Also, the weight of these guns tends to turn shakes into big smooth curves that can be more easily steadied. I think when hunting you should have yourself in a position to use a rest for your shot anyways.

and GREAT bit of info wolfman!

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    Mine

Tag to check with friend that has this setup and it works well. I'll get details and post later.

I have a 2x32 Bushnell waterproff SS on my Ruger Super Redhawk .44
    Really no need for an adjustable on a handgun, also no need to spend hundreds of dollars.
    This set up works well for me and looks good on the gun.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Lots of info to digest. Thanks for all your input. Keep the idea's rolling. I'm really leaning towards a fixed, slight magnification or keep it simple with another red dot from what I've read so far

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I have the SRH with 9-1/2" barrel and have millet red dot scope on it. It shoots great and the red dot has held up real well. I took a 5 point a few years back with the gun and the .44 mag does a number on the whitetail deer......

Top Bottom