• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    I bought a used Beretta 92FS back in November, round count unknown, but not a lot of ware. My problem is I have 3- 15 round magazines 2 came with the gun and then I picked up another used one. (can't by new 15 round mags in Mass, restrictive laws). Sometimes they lock the slide on the last shot, sometimes they don't. I first thought magazine and maybe I could isolate which mag it was. nope it does it with all three. Sometimes it does, sometime it doesn't. I thought maybe my reloads, nope, does it with reloads and different factory rounds. I can't pin point it. Could it be the recoil spring? or something else, I am up for suggestions.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Sounds like a magazine issue,some pistols are finicky.To me it sounds like the follower in the magazine isnt engaging the slide stop consistently,There is a notch forward of the mag that might need a little more out or the springs in the mag are weak(wolf replacement) IMHO.Also curious what brand of mag are you using?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 92 FS is a pretty dependable chassis. I have three suggestions:

1) From years of 1911 shooting, my perfered grip is high thumb, which can bump or hold down the slide release enough to prevent the slide stop from functioning. I simply remind myself to hold a normal thumb grip with the Berettas.

2) the slide needs to make a full cycle to lock back. Some light loads especially with 115 gr bullets do not throw the slide all the way back, esp. if you have a relaxed grip on your pistol. You will generally find that a firm grip will eliminate the problem. 124 grain or NATO spec ammo is a lot more forgiving as it has plenty of recoil to bring the slide all the way back.

3) I have been a fan of the 92 and 96 Berettas for 20 years, owning several. I only use factory or military issued magazines, so this may not apply. I only have had one magazine spring get soft in all that time and that was a first generation "made in Italy" mag with the white follower. I changed the wimpy spring and still use the magazine with 100% reliability.

It is also a good idea to replace the main recoil spring every couple of years as preventitive maintenance. This is not the cause of your slide lock problem, but it prevents other problems. Good Luck

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The 92 FS is a pretty dependable chassis. I have three suggestions:

1) From years of 1911 shooting, my perfered grip is high thumb, which can bump or hold down the slide release enough to prevent the slide stop from functioning. I simply remind myself to hold a normal thumb grip with the Berettas.

2) the slide needs to make a full cycle to lock back. Some light loads especially with 115 gr bullets do not throw the slide all the way back, esp. if you have a relaxed grip on your pistol. You will generally find that a firm grip will eliminate the problem. 124 grain or NATO spec ammo is a lot more forgiving as it has plenty of recoil to bring the slide all the way back.

3) I have been a fan of the 92 and 96 Berettas for 20 years, owning several. I only use factory or military issued magazines, so this may not apply. I only have had one magazine spring get soft in all that time and that was a first generation "made in Italy" mag with the white follower. I changed the wimpy spring and still use the magazine with 100% reliability.

It is also a good idea to replace the main recoil spring every couple of years as preventitive maintenance. This is not the cause of your slide lock problem, but it prevents other problems. Good Luck

This post if full of win :yesway: I've owned a 92FS for over 20 yrs-factory mags are the best.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Are they factory mags? My 92fs would not run anything but factory mags. Take them apart and give them a good cleaning and replace the spring inside of it. Check out wolff springs, they are very good

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    One magazine has the white follower, the other 2 don't have any markings so maybe they are after market. As far as my shooting and grip on the gun, I have been shooting pistols for 30 years and am an instructor, I can assure you it's not my grip. I will change out the mag springs and see if that will help. Thanks everyone.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Have you tried taking the mags apart and cleaning them? I've had some mags were the follower would hang a bit but after cleaning they worked fine.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    If your mags don't have any markings, they might be nasty after-market mags. Beretta or Mec-Gar mags are the only ones that are reliable in a 92FS.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Berettas are very temperamental when it comes to mags. There are three that are recognized as being "factory" and are well marked. They are of course the "PB" marked Beretta factory mags, mags from MDS which not only currently make Beretta's factory mags but they are marked exactly the same, except where the "Beretta" mags are stamped "PB", the MDS are stamped "MDS" in the exact same location with the other markings the same.

Mec-gar mags are also OEM but they have their own markings. They too are recoginzed as "factroy" even though they don't have the same markings as the PB marked mags.

As for the recoil spring, Beretta once published that a quick look check for go/no go would be a good recoil spring is at least as long or longer than the barrel. If shorter it should be replaced. A weak spring, even though it would allow the slide to go back all the way, might not slow it down enough in rebound to allow the slide stop to lock.

Good luck!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I know that you cannot buy new high cap mags but, you should be able to buy new mag springs and followers. Even if you have crappy aftermarket mags, try replacing the springs and followers with Beretta parts.

If you already have Beretta mags for sure, replace the springs anyway. That's all I think it should take. Especially since you mentioned the excessive wear, it most likely has a lot of rounds through it.

The magazine is the weakest component of the semi-automatic pistol.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most likely, you are unintentionally holding the slide lock down with your thumb (or possibly the heal of your weak hand if using thumbs-forward style grip).

-rvb

Top Bottom