Need help. Shooting to the right and down.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    He does that to keep me from "accidently" shooting HIS target.

One time, and then you never hear the end of it.
    I do that so the target is more at chest level and so I don't hit the clips that hold the target :D also I know it's not the gun. I've had people shot it just fine.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I'm right handed and I mostly shoot 1911's but I have your same gun and I consistently shot it just left of my point of aim. Oddly enough, you can put my P07 in the hands of someone who has never shot it and they are so dead accurate they want to buy one. I solved my problem by drifting my rear sight just a bit right but I haven't really solved the mystery of what's actually going on.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Are the squares on these targets graduated in inches?

So four other people shoot the gun accurately. We can assume the problem is you and not the sights on the gun.

Ignore the silly wheel chart thing. You can't diagnose a marksmanship problem by looking at the target alone. (I'm not saying it doesn't help, but its not so straight forward as saying "if its in section B, it must be problem X".

Take the draw out of this equation. Slow down and focus on every aspect of what you're doing. The hole will be where the front sight was when the bullet exited the barrel. That's just the way this works.

Align the sights perfectly on target. Get a sharp mental and optical focus on the front sight. Begin pressing the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing/moving the sight. Focus on the sight and make sure it doesn't move. Continue pressing the trigger until the gun discharges. After the gun discharges, don't look at the target. Keep the trigger to the rear until you're at the top of the recoil movement. Release the trigger and reset on the way back down to your point of aim. Pick up the front sight again as the gun settles out of recoil. Repeat the process. Your bullet will be where the front sight was when it exited the barrel.

What are the possible causes of this?
    1. You could have trigger control issues. The trigger feels different than the Glock trigger. The DA pull is certainly longer and gives more room for error. I have not handled a P07, but I would expect the SA trigger to be comparable, or better. So what gives?

2. You could be misaligning the sights. Maybe they are shaped differently, or different relative to the gun compared to the Glock. You're used to seeing something that looks different in the sight alignment on this gun.

3. You have developed some muscle memory related to the Glock ergonomics and its causing you to end up in the wrong place with your press-out. In reality, this is exactly the same as problem 2. You are not aligning the sights correctly.

4. You are not following through on the sights and the trigger. You may be so anxious to see where these bullets are going, that you pull the gun out of your vision and look over it before the bullet has left the barrel. This is not an uncommon cause of lower shots (right behind trigger control). It would not shock me that you move your hand down and inboard (to the right, as a lefty) to look over the pistol as you're shooting.

Any way you cut it, all of the above problems can be mitigated by slowing down and focusing very intently on the fundamentals. Trigger control issues and sight alignment issues are reduced when you focus on exactly what you should be doing with the sights and the trigger. Follow through is easy to talk about, but tough to do. This is why I say get the draw out of the equation. Focus on the shooting. Align the sights perfectly. It wont matter what the grip is like if you're holding it such that sights are aligned. Then press the trigger smoothly without disturbing the sights. It wont matter what the trigger feels like if the sights don't move while you press it.

Achieve those things, and you will increase both accuracy and precision. If precision improves and accuracy does not, then perhaps we can look to other possible causes.

You may consider moving in to 3, 4, or 5 yards and work your fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, and follow through) until you can put up a one-hole group at those distances, then move out a yard at a time trying to achieve the same. In reality, though, distance doesn't matter. The fundamentals matter.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm right handed and I mostly shoot 1911's but I have your same gun and I consistently shot it just left of my point of aim. Oddly enough, you can put my P07 in the hands of someone who has never shot it and they are so dead accurate they want to buy one. I solved my problem by drifting my rear sight just a bit right but I haven't really solved the mystery of what's actually going on.

No mystery. You are jerking the trigger.

Top Bottom