• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Okay INGO experts, I need some help trying to select a scope for my new DPMS .308AR.

I strictly target shoot and have pretty bad eyes. No hunting. I can't imagine shooting any longer than 300 yards... mostly 100 yards.

I've looked at all kinds of scopes -- everything from Trijicon Accupoint to SuperSniper to Millett to Leupold, etc.

I really don't want to break the bank too bad. Hopefully I can spend south of 1K for the scope and mount. I'd like at least 10X magnification.

Any thoughts folks?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The 10x fixed power Super Sniper is a really decent scope for the price. The glass is really nice, but fixed power can kind of be a PITA...That's why it's only $300 though.

I have a DPMS lr308B that I've had for a few years. I went with a Burris Fullfield 6x18 that I paid less than $400 for and I've had good results with it.

If I were to go back, wait a little longer until I had a bit more to spend, I probably would have though...I had just spent $1,600 on the rifle/food for her and really just wanted to get something decent so I could use it to its (somewhat) potential.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I like the Millet LRS-1 at 6 x 25 you have the ability to reach out. But if all you are shooting is 300 yards I'd go with a Red Dot or stick to your irons :)

I have scopes on two of my ARs but they are both only 1.5 x 6.
    I am considering going to red dots for them.

At shorter range more magnification makes it harder to be steady for me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I like the Millet LRS-1 at 6 x 25 you have the ability to reach out. But if all you are shooting is 300 yards I'd go with a Red Dot or stick to your irons :)

If I were to go back, I'd probably have saved up and got something like this:

Trijicon TA01B 4x32 ACOG Full Line Red Illumination 308 - eBay (item 310198908427 end time Mar-07-10 06:12:21 PST)

I only own 1 ACOG, but it is by far my most favorite optic I own/have used.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    didnt you say you had your ACOG on a .22lr? take it off the .22lr and slap her on the .308 and buy a cheaper scope for your rimfire.:dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

Maybe I'm just blind, but I'm not sure how I could use my irons at 300 yards. Seriously, for me it seems impossible.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Okay INGO experts, I need some help trying to select a scope for my new DPMS .308AR.

I strictly target shoot and have pretty bad eyes. No hunting. I can't imagine shooting any longer than 300 yards... mostly 100 yards.

I've looked at all kinds of scopes -- everything from Trijicon Accupoint to SuperSniper to Millett to Leupold, etc.

I really don't want to break the bank too bad. Hopefully I can spend south of 1K for the scope and mount. I'd like at least 10X magnification.

Any thoughts folks?

How long is the barrel?

Will you try to get out farther?

I am trying to decide the same thing. I think I have my heart set on a USO though.......

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    with Front Focal Plane the Mil-Dots or MOA marks in the reticle stay conistent at every level of magnification.

so with a mildot scope the each Mil is 3.6" @ 100yds at 3 power, 10 power, 14 power or whatever.

Make sense?

The Falcon scopes have this too which is why I recommended them. They are REALLY nice. But if you only shoot 100yds nothing closer you could always get a fixed 10x power scope or something and not worry about it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    didnt you say you had your ACOG on a .22lr? take it off the .22lr and slap her on the .308 and buy a cheaper scope for your rimfire.:dunno:

Anyone know how much of a difference the BDC would be on an ACOG designed for the .223 opposed to the .308?

I know it's probably minimal when using it at <=300 yards, but what about 600?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I know that some of you might laugh and some of you might sneer or look down your noses at me, but I have a DPMS LR.308 with a 24" fluted SS barrel with one of the old Springfield Armory 4 x 14 x 56 generation 3 scopes on it. I liked it so much that I tried to get another at a later date, but could only find a like-new Generation 2 model (no lighted reticle). I also have a super sniper and you are right about the fixed power being a pain sometimes. If I find a good deal on one, I might even try to pick up on of those old SA 10x56 mil dot scopes. Either you love em or you hate em. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom