• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I want to get a 22lr handgun and rifle. :)

I'm more confused on the rifle than the handgun btw. I'm going to let my wife decide between a gsg 1911-22 or a P22 (that can also work with a can :) )

What I need help with is an honest answer on 22 rifles. I am wanting a semi auto rifle, and I also want a detachable magazine. I want to be able to use iron sights and/or a scope. And I want it to be dependable enough to do some small game hunting.

So far, I've seen the ruger, and a marlin. I know there arr tons of aftermarket modd for the ruger, but I pretty much want a basic black synthetic stock and nothing more.

Also, can a pistol can be used on a rifle reliably? Or would I need 2 different length suppressors? Thx!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I want to get a 22lr handgun and rifle. :)

I'm more confused on the rifle than the handgun btw. I'm going to let my wife decide between a gsg 1911-22 or a P22 (that can also work with a can :) )

What I need help with is an honest answer on 22 rifles. I am wanting a semi auto rifle, and I also want a detachable magazine. I want to be able to use iron sights and/or a scope. And I want it to be dependable enough to do some small game hunting.

So far, I've seen the ruger, and a marlin. I know there arr tons of aftermarket modd for the ruger, but I pretty much want a basic black synthetic stock and nothing more.

Also, can a pistol can be used on a rifle reliably? Or would I need 2 different length suppressors? Thx!

Remington 597 might suit you

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Go with the 10/22. I have a stainless with green laminated stock that I bought over 20 years ago and have never had the urge to change out barrels for accuracy because it shoots great with the factory barrel.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Ruger 10/22 or Savage 64 TRR-SR.

The Savage already comes threaded for a suppressor. It is limited to a 10 round magazine.

The Ruger is pretty much ready to be modified to your wildest dream. Factory 25 round mags and a set of Tech-Sights are two must haves.

A .22 suppressor will work with both a rifle or pistol.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Get the Marlin 795 and don't look back. It's hella accurate right from the box, (more so than the Ruger), it's lightweight for hunting, it runs like a sewing machine on Federal bulk pack, and it's only $100! (maybe $125 with a scope mounted).

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Get the Marlin 795 and don't look back. It's hella accurate right from the box, (more so than the Ruger), it's lightweight for hunting, it runs like a sewing machine on Federal bulk pack, and it's only $100! (maybe $125 with a scope mounted).
    I'd also recommend the 795, but MAKE SURE THE SIGHTS AREN'T CANTED. I apparently didn't do enough research before getting one, and as it turns out, it's a fairly common problem. It's otherwise a solid gun, so as long as you check the sights before you buy you'll be fine. And for the price you can't beat it. Marlin just needs to up their quality control a bit...

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I've got a cheap scope with see through rings on my 10/22. The barrel isn't threaded, but they're out there. A couple of 25rd mags and you're in business.
    The 10/22 is the most customized 22 rifle out there....

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Get the same for both...

BuckMarks.jpg

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have a Remington 597...BUT I still would probably recommend the 10/22. My 597 has feed issues, Ive read its the magazines...but I havent bought any of the redesigned ones yet.

It is DEAD ON accurate when it goes bang though.

I let the girlfriend pick between the P22 and the GSG1911, she picked the P22 due to size...(im getting the 1911 later anyways) :laugh:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Pistol

Take a look at the new Ruger SR22 Pistol. It looks a lot like the P22 without some of the issues the walther seems to have from time to time. There will be a threaded barrel available for the SR22 at some point(Owners manuel even states this)

I own A LOT of .22 rifles. You will hear a lot about accuracy issues unless you spend a lot of money on the 10/22. NOT SO. My 10/22's are more accurate than I can ever be. I check accuracy by shooting off a sandbag. The only gun in my safe that right out of the box can beat my Rugers is my Savage bolt action. I have done nothing to my Rugers ezcept install a bolt buffer and off sandbags can still get 10 under a quarter at 25 yards.

I wil agree that Ruger has been slacking on their quality but they are one of the 2 most popular .22 rifles for a reason.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    10/22 all the way. Put a set of Tech Sights on mine and it became my funnest gun to shoot. As for a pistol, get a Buckmark and don't look back.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I recently purchased a moss berg ar22 and find it more than worth the $200. It's not fancy but shoots well.

I am pretty sure the OP isn't thinking at all about this gun, and I hope I am right. Of all the AR22 platforms IMHO this has to be the poorest quality gun I have ever seen Mossberg let go out the door. I give the Mossberg tactical 22 a BIG :noway:.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yep, not into anything like an AR or mp5. Just wanting a standard rifle. You guys have confirmed some of my thoughts. Now to find and handle a 10-22 and a 795...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Either one would be good. Ask Corey at SSNFA about one of the Thompson cans. Affordable, and world class noise reduction. No earplugs required when shooting with the kids now. It's nice to be able to have a normal conversation while we shoot.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    10/22 in the long gun. As far the handgun, get something that likes cheap ammo.I have a buckmark, gsg, ruger 22/45 and they all do well with the cheap stuff.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    My nod would be the 1022 for a rifle... and you really can't beat a Ruger MKIII... although if you want to go all out on the pistol you could get a charger 22 and do a lightening up rebuild to make it a true pistol sized gun... All my 1022's shoot well straight out of the box and in thier current rebuild conditions too....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom