• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireman610

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Down by the River
    Im sending a rifle off to an FFL to make a stock for me. Individual is a new FFL and not up to par on all the rules. I have heard both ways but need a definitive answer for him as far as the ATF title and code stating that once the stock has been made.. The FFL is able to ship the rifle BACK to me at my residence and it does not have to be shipped back to an FFL and another ATF form be filled out on my rifle and have to pay a transfer fee Can anyone help???? Thanks Much!!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    FFL transfers

FFL to FFl transfers only i would assume with firearms.
    Transfer fees are not that expensive, at the right place.. As long as its not Class3

Check ffl transfers in "search" might find an answer there.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I have shipped a couple guns back to the manufacturer for repairs, and they always shipped it direct back to me (no FFL). Although I don't have an answer, I assume it would be the same for this situation, since you already own the rifle.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
    "Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Gunsmiths

"Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm? No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
    [27 CFR 478.124(a)]"
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Gunsmiths

"Q: Is a licensed gunsmith’s return of repaired or customized firearms to their owners subject to the Brady law, including the provision for making background checks on transferees? No, but it is unlawful to transfer a firearm to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is a felon or is within any other category of person prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. (See also question “A firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair. Is the return of the repaired firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Would the transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm be subject to the requirements of the Brady law?”)
    [18 U.S.C. 922(d), 27 CFR 478.32(d)]"
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law

"Q: A firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair. Is the return of the repaired firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Would the transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm be subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee’s permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.
    [27 CFR 478.124-25]"

Fireman610

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Down by the River
    FFL to FFl transfers only i would assume with firearms.
    Transfer fees are not that expensive, at the right place.. As long as its not Class3

Check ffl transfers in "search" might find an answer there.

and it is not required to ship ffl to ffl in cases of repair replacement or customization.... Assuming isnt an definitive answer....Its the point of trying to be forced to do multiple things that are not needed! like having two 4470 forms on the same rifle not wanting to get red flagged for this .. yes it will happen I was already told it would happen!!!and not paying for a transfer when one is not needed to begin with and being taken advatange of by these Shadey dealers that are out there that are there to sell guns and dont know the laws they are regulated by to begin with. One in particular in my area was trying to charge 38.00 for the transfer and I bought the damn gun from them to begin with less than a year ago!!!:xmad:

Barrelmaker- Thank You very much for the info I appreciate it very much and this will definatly improve and expidite this process now!!!

Top Bottom