• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I am new to reloading but it is something that I have always wanted to do but havn't yet. I was hoping that someone could help me with what kind of system to buy. I shoot alot of 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 30-06, 222, 8mm, 223, 762x39, 762x54. I have absolutely no knowledge about reloading. None at all. So if someone could point me into the right direction, that would be awesome. I am willing to spend some time and money learning how to do this. also, if anyone knows of a good loader with the dies and what not for a decent price, let me know as well. thank you. This is also my first post ever so it might take me a while to respond as I really dont know how just yet. Thank you

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if i were you i would go to one of Aszerigan free reloading classes. i just saw one advertised a few days ago. i know he and indygunworks have done free classes and im sure either is a great class

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    if i were you i would go to one of Aszerigan free reloading classes. i just saw one advertised a few days ago. i know he and indygunworks have done free classes and im sure either is a great class

+1, go to one of their classes, I learned a lot from them when I started, thanks guys!

I am going to go against the grain some and say that if you plan to stick with reloading and you are not going solely for precision, go ahead and get a progressive press and don't look back. You have to be a little more cautious, especially since you are new to it but in the end you will be a lot happier.

IMO, single stage presses are great, there is no replacement, if you are making precision rounds but if you are trying to pound out a couple hundred rounds to take to the range to plink with a single stage press is not the ticket.

I'm a NOOB as well to reloading so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Welcome to the site!

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    We have a Lee progressive press that we like a lot. It took a while (close to a month) for us to get it setup correctly and tweak it to run like it was supposed to. There is 4 of us family members that split the cost of the press, and all that is needed to make a finished round.

When we first started kicking around the idea of reloading we used this site (Hand Loading Cost Calculator). We also added in an extra $8.00 an hour to our equation of what we thought was realistic to produce per hour. Our thought was your time is worth something. :twocents:

If you are doing this as a pure hobby, then take out the hourly wage. We just wanted to look to see if it was truly worth reloading as opposed to just buying rounds by the case.

As of now, we reload 9mm, 40 cal, 45 acp, 38 spcl., 357. We have not ventured into the realm of "riffle" rounds as of yet. That will change this coming spring when we start to plan out our hunting trip to New Mexico for next fall.

Bob.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Spencer IN
    A single stage is a good way to start for the least $ and when you move to a progressive you will still always use the single, especially with all the rifle calibers you've listed.

Bob.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    A single stage is a great way to start and will always be useful even if you move to a progressive press later. You can set the single stage up as a dedicated decapping station before cleaning your brass or a myriad of other things. And remember, most of the dies, tools and other goodies you buy to complement your single stage press will work equally as well with a progressive!

The stickys at the top are some great information, also check out some of the reloading manuals also, plenty of great tips..

My :twocents: , YMMV!

Regards!
    Kevin

GLOCK91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    I use a lee classic turret and im happy with it its kind of in between single stage and a progressive in terms of speed and a good press for a new reloader IMHO and cheap to.

USMC3041

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Dillon RL550B, I have two of them. Too lazy to change out primer tubes and assembly when changing calibers. Load a lot of 45LC, 44Mag, 41 Mag,40S&W all take either small or large primers. Check them out. Lifetime no Bull Sh.t warranty. Break a part, call them usually you will have the new part in 3 days no charge, shipping other otherwise. Having a problem, call them. When I want to load for accuracy I use an old Lyman Orange Crusher I've had for probably 20 years (Rifle rounds only on the Lyman)

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have an opening in the Saturday class, if you're interested. The spots are $25, but you'll learn everything you'll need to know, and you also leave with 25 rounds of your own .223 ammunition.

I'm also a dealer for Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Hornady and Redding, so if you need equipment, drop me a line for pricing.

I'm here to help.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Thank you all for the help. I have spent alot of time reading, and I believe I will go with a dillon 550b press! Thanks again for all of the help. Do these ever go on sale?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you all for the help. I have spent alot of time reading, and I believe I will go with a dillon 550b press! Thanks again for all of the help. Do these ever go on sale?

again i would contact Aszerigan he is a dillon dealer and will give you as good a price as anyone. dillon regulates what a dealer can sell it for so obviously on sale prices are limited to that

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    taking a class is a great time saver, it would help prevent accidents. As for reloader single stage is good, but a progressive press is better and dillon is great, if it's just pistol rounds and square deal works, if you have to have both pistol and rifle then a dillon 550 fits the bill, sometimes you can find a good package deal on e-bay, but after shipping, normally you'd be better off buying on site, just my 2 cents

Top Bottom