• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - a month ago my wife told me the Jeep had a chirping sound which sounded like it was coming from the center or front of the Jeep. I took it for a test drive and heard what is lovingly referred to as the "angry sparrows", the centering ball in the double cardan joint was telling me it needed replaced. Having just had shoulder surgery we parked the Jeep until I was able to get the front drive shaft pulled off which I was able to do with one hand yesterday.

I've got a U joint / ball joint servicing tool that I used to break the U joints on the cardan joint loose, they actually broke free pretty easily.

4FA9B85F-AB88-4BAD-9A8A-BB62C5C19D92_zpsufjioxzu.jpg

The joints at the cardan all have the retaining clips and once they were off it was easy. I went to the U joint on the front of the drive shaft which connects to the front axle and there is a different animal up there. I sprayed everything down with "Nuts Off" yesterday after I pulled the shaft and let it sit overnight but I cannot get this front joint loose. It does not have retaining clips and I can't see any clips on the inside of the yoke either but it won't move. The rear joints came loose easily with a breaker bar on the clamp, I tried an impact on it without success. I heated it up with a MAP torch and still nothing. Does anyone know what else I might look for that may be holding this sucker in place?

6744F9B7-5C74-4C81-B72F-D82141C691BD_zpsmbmkynka.jpg

2A204154-F15F-459F-875D-998BAF948853_zpskxu3dw3b.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    More heat, see those little pin holes ??
    Torch it until the plastic retainer squirts out of the holes while you apply excessive pressure with the clamp.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't see any pin holes but I can certainly lay some more heat to it. Should I be heating the caps, the yoke or the joint inside the yoke?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm betting the clips are there but hidden. Put the whole thing in a vise and torque on it. That should move the caps in and allow you to find the clips. It has to have clips.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't see any pin holes but I can certainly lay some more heat to it. Should I be heating the caps, the yoke or the joint inside the yoke?

It is a retaining plastic they squirt in to hold the caps. It is a mother.

You ever see those videos of people pushing out blackheads, disgusting right? It will look like that when you get it hot enough and it boils out of the holes.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

It is a retaining plastic they squirt in to hold the caps. It is a mother.

You ever see those videos of people pushing out blackheads, disgusting right? It will look like that when you get it hot enough and it boils out of the holes.

Why would you watch videos of people squishing out blackheads?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I know this is too late. But watch out for the caps popping out when heated. My son about got one in the jimmies. Chevy, glued in nonsense.

Top Bottom