• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Spybot Found 3 seperate files from the RightMedia Malware in my registry and is unable to delete them. So everyday when I run spybot it finds it, cleans out and immunizes itself. But next day they're back. Anyone care to give me a step by step on how to delicately remove these files? I know that changing the registry can be detrimentle if done incorrectly.

Thanks RNM

wizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Chesterton
    Run regedit.1st under;"file" drop down export/backup the registry to your desktop give it a name like the date regxx-xx-xxxx so if things go wrong you can import/restore using regedit and get back to normal. after export, under "edit" go to find type the name of the file you are wanting to delete and enter, when found highlight it and delete it, hit F3 to repeat the search to make sure all incidents of the file have been removed. When all done close regedit automatically saves when you exit. Reboot and things should be ok.. If not run regedit again and import the file you saved and you will be back to square one. Hope that makes sense. Good luck

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The malware may be re-writing them on shutdown. I would try some of the other programs but if you do not find the file re-writing them it may be a moot point.

If you do find the file then the only other way is to delete the file that is the culprit and pull the plug instead of shutting down normally. I would not try this yourself unless you know what you are doing but I had to do it once to fix a problem. I have worked in Computers since the 70's so I can usually fix a problem on my own PC but caught a virus on my work PC last week and had to have it re-imaged since it would not even let the PC boot.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    My suggestion is give SuperAntiSpyware a try. Another free program that only runs when you want it to. I've had great luck with this program taking care of problems (I'm IT at a company w/ roughly 30 computers). Not every AV program will take care of everything. I usually use SuperAntiSpyware first, if that doesn't take care of it I move on to Spybot, and last resort is going to housecall.trendmicro.com and let that webbrowser spyware killer have at it. If the files are respawning, then there's another program that needs to be dealt with.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I always recommend a complete and total wipe/reinstall on an infected computer... that is, of course, unless you don't care that you can never really trust your computer again.

Once infected, always infected.

IndyParts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ktown Indiana
    Here is my :twocents:

Uninstall any kind of Anti-Malware software you have including Spybot. Reboot.

Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Update to the newest revision. Run a full scan. Delete everything it finds.

I have personally ran this on 300+ machines in the past 3 months and only had 1 machine that it could not remove everything on its own.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Here is my :twocents:

Uninstall any kind of Anti-Malware software you have including Spybot. Reboot.

Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Update to the newest revision. Run a full scan. Delete everything it finds.

I have personally ran this on 300+ machines in the past 3 months and only had 1 machine that it could not remove everything on its own.

:+1:

Top Bottom