• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I own both...2 XD's (both in 9mm) and 6 Glocks. I reload cast lead bullets and fire them out of the Glocks for competition...I just brush out the barrel with a bore snake every hundred rounds or so. The XD seems very robust and has less felt recoil for me. All that being said, the XD's are a bit big for carry compared to my Glock 26. If it's just a range gun, XD all the way.

In his original post, he talks about the XDs and not just a XD. The thread title is a bit misleading.

The XDs is obviously OK for carry. ;)

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I had an xd sc I love it, fun to shoot. I chose the glock because it wasn't as heavy/bulky and didnt have a strange safety.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Buy what feels good. I am a HUGE Glock fan, but Ive also shot the xD and they are solid weapons. Frankly I prefer the grip safety over Glock's trigger safety. Just seems safer to me. I still wouldnt trade my Glock for one. (not a big enough improvement to matter)

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know if you're buying cast lead ammo?

Look at the box first. if it says JHP or FMJ the J is for Jacketed. (not cast) If it says neither, open the box and look at the bullet. If its grey, its cast lead. If its copper colored it's jacketed.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Try to shoot both and decide which one you can shoot or feels better. Ultimately it boils down to that. both are good guns and will serve the intended purpose well. I have a couple XD's and have shot but do not own a glock, both guns shoot well and are reliable enough for a carry weapon.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    I 1000% agree with Fixer. When I purchased my first 45, I had the benefit of shooting both a Glock and XD side by side. I shot the XD way better. It fits my grip and shooting style better. So for me, I always get Springfield other guys that shoot the same guns side by side would say go with glock. It's all about what you shoot the best and lets face it, when looking for a carry gun, you have to be 100% confident in it. You can get just as many aftermarket parts for XD as you can Glock. If you want to shoot a few models I am sure the guys on here would be more than willing to let you. Some stores/rangers will allow you to try some pistols if you are serious about buying one. Good Luck!!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Both are fine weapons. I have been carrying for 40 years, and I have carried every gun manufactured in the world. I change carry guns every year or so. I have kept three carry guns out of all I tried. The rest were sold or traded. To find the end all carry gun is hard, don't limit yourself to finding the perfect gun in one try. Keep experimenting, you will eventually find a few that work.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Very simple shot both and decide.
    If you want slim, then you don't want a glock.
    If you are worried about the barrel in a glock, just
    get a different barrel. One is not better than the other.
    One will be better for YOU than the other.
    I've owned an XDM and have the xds in 9.
    I've shot several glocks and if you know how to shoot
    it really shouldn't matter that much other than preference.
    I will eventually get a glock just to have one, I just started with xd and have no reason to change as far as edc. At least not yet:cool:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You should be fine with either. Pick the one that has the physical features that you desire. Worst case: you can sell either gun for about as much as your paid for it.

Okay, okay, if you still need advice, get the Glock.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Simple. Neither. Look around, feel, fondle, and shoot as many as you can. several indy area ranges will allow you to "rent" or "try out" handguns at their range. I for one am always loaning out my pistols to folks looking to step into the market. i personally carry a sig 2022 in 9mm with a Cross breed IWB (in waistband holster) and often forget its there. Im a bigger guy so it works for me. I also carry a full size 1911. I have owned several glocks...and currently own none. They arent for me. I cant adjust to the grip angle and feel that the angle and sights leave much to be desired. I know many who love them and i dont fault them for it. They look at my 1911 dinosaur and think im nuts. Carry what works for you. carry what you can afford, afford to shoot, and what feels right in your hand. You may be surprised that you may not like striker fired trigger pulls, or you may find comfort in a hammer fired (as some folks like to see the hammer is down and not cocked). You may not care that there are no secondary safeties on many polymer new age pistols like glocks. It never bothered me.

Moral of the story - Dont narrow down to just 2 things and pick the lesser of two evils. there are many manufacturers out there and many models to choose from.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Moral of the story - Dont narrow down to just 2 things and pick the lesser of two evils. there are many manufacturers out there and many models to choose from.[/QUOTE said:
    Ljungman is hitting the nail on the head. Too many options out there to limit yourself to just two. Although I carry an XDs as well as a G19 (in the winter when I can), I've fired, owned, and tried to carry multiple different options until the one I become most comfortable with becomes prevalent.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Let me sum it up for you ...

Buy what you like and works best for you, become a fanboy, get on a forum to bad mouth the one you didn't pick.

For the record, I have owned and shot on a regular basis ... XD's in .45 and 9mm as well as GLOCK 19's. I love them all. The XD's point naturally and feel good in the hand. The GLOCKs feel terrible but I shoot them really well. What do I carry every waking moment and have on my hip right now? ... a GLOCK 19.

I have a feeling thats what my buddy was doing, about cast lead bullets in glocks

I would go with a Glock, but that is JMHO. With that said if you get a Glock and are still worried about the lead build up in the barrel look into one of these: Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Barrel M/19 9mm Stock Length - $109.95

I actually looked at some of their barrels, didnt know if they were much different or not. Now I know

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know if you're buying cast lead ammo?

I make them in my garage with a little lead smelter thing, a mold, and lots of wheel weights.

Simple. Neither. Look around, feel, fondle, and shoot as many as you can. several indy area ranges will allow you to "rent" or "try out" handguns at their range. I for one am always loaning out my pistols to folks looking to step into the market. i personally carry a sig 2022 in 9mm with a Cross breed IWB (in waistband holster) and often forget its there. Im a bigger guy so it works for me. I also carry a full size 1911. I have owned several glocks...and currently own none. They arent for me. I cant adjust to the grip angle and feel that the angle and sights leave much to be desired. I know many who love them and i dont fault them for it. They look at my 1911 dinosaur and think im nuts. Carry what works for you. carry what you can afford, afford to shoot, and what feels right in your hand. You may be surprised that you may not like striker fired trigger pulls, or you may find comfort in a hammer fired (as some folks like to see the hammer is down and not cocked). You may not care that there are no secondary safeties on many polymer new age pistols like glocks. It never bothered me.

Moral of the story - Dont narrow down to just 2 things and pick the lesser of two evils. there are many manufacturers out there and many models to choose from.

I figured I'd start with two pretty popular platforms, and then just keep trying others to see if they fit better.

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I'll have to agree with Butch, the XD(M) felt alot better in my hands than the Glock. I have owned S&W, Rugers, Springfields, etc and I can say that I have fell in love with the Springfields. I own four of them XD(M) 9mm (X2), and an XD 45, and XDs 45. My EDC is the XDs. Its easy to conceal and to shot. My range gun is the XD(M) 9mm 5.25 competition series. The gun is excellent to shoot.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    I vote Glock only 34 parts and a lot simpler design to completely disassemble, compared to an XD. I have owned an Xd 4in 45, I traded it off. My Glock 21 fits my hand better and is more accurate. Like others said see what fits your hand better, the Xd is a fine weapon but a lot more complicated to completely disassemble. I carry my Glock 21 everywhere I go.But you might like the Glock 30 it is smaller, my wife loves her Glock 30.

photo1kjb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Tested both the Glock and the XD/XDM. In terms of firing, both shot very well. However, the weight/width/feel of the XDM was much better for me compared to the Glock. I'd say you'll be fine with either. Just find out what fits you best.

Top Bottom