• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I guess I haven't seen any good priced AK's in any gun shows I've gone to. They are always 500 bucks and cheap knockoffs at that. I confess I've never gone out looking for the deals like I have for AR's.

I know the AK is a very popular rifle, and the AR is a popular platform as well. That being said, I know the M-16 platform, I trust it, and like it quite a bit.

As stated above, there is a lot more mods available for the AR platform. There's no argument that can be made counter to that. It'll costs more yes, I feel like it can do more. 1 lower can fire multiple types of rounds with a 10 second upper swap. Yes a new upper costs a couple hundred.. but it's still an option.

I'm sure you'll have fun no matter which one you pick. Seems like everyone has an AR already. Could get the AK just to be different or you could jump on the bandwagon with us AR users.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I sometimes find myself looking at my AR and wondering if I made the right choice. I love shooting pistol and shotgun but haven't found my groove with the rifle. A lot of it is time spent at the range and it just plain costs more to shoot the rifle. If given the choice of bettering either my pistol or rifle skill, I'm choosing pistol and will spend the $$$ towards that. I hate to not shoot the rifle since I just plain like shooting but sometimes I feel like shelving or trading my AR and picking up an AK since factory ammo is so much cheaper. I'm doing the occasional course of fire at a local club, so as long as I can get out and have a good time I don't think I'd be that particular on what I'm shooting. Maybe part of it is just detailing the AR and putting it up for a while and to just NOT shoot it! It doesn't eat much setting there. :dunno:

On a side note, Mudcat, I see you are from Warrick County; were you at the IDPA shoot at Redbrush on Saturday?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    They both have their place, and like others have said, it really is a matter of what you want to do with it. I started out with an AK shot it for a while, then decided that I wanted something I could do more with. Don't get me wrong, I love my AK, but there was something about the black rifles that just appealed to me more. Something about the near infinate amount of combinations they can go to. Want to shoot cheap ammo, get a .22 upper. Want to shoot spare milspec stuff, get a 5.56 upper. Want to shoot the AK round... they make an upper for that too :D

But like others have said, the accessories on my ARs tend to cost more on their own than that first AK cost me total.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if AK's suck so bad then why do a crap load of security contractors dump their weapons for the first AK they can get? Inaccuracy of the AK is a misconception in most cases. yeah, if you buy a cheap ass, AK with the non original barrel then your probably gonna have an accuracy issue past 150 yards or so. maybe before if you dont check it. Also, just because you buy the most expensive of any gun, it wont mean you will still shoot any better. I recommend you take an AK to a carbine class, and while your still shooting look at all the AR guys crying over their $2k AR's not working. now, their are plus and minuses to both. im not strictly advocating for the AK, but dont get your info from a bunch of people who dont know dick, other than shooting on a controlled range. look for stories from people who have seen the elephant. I have both, and have used both, in less than desirable places on this earth. 2-cents

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    if AK's suck so bad then why do a crap load of security contractors dump their weapons for the first AK they can get? Inaccuracy of the AK is a misconception in most cases. yeah, if you buy a cheap ass, AK with the non original barrel then your probably gonna have an accuracy issue past 150 yards or so. maybe before if you dont check it. Also, just because you buy the most expensive of any gun, it wont mean you will still shoot any better. I recommend you take an AK to a carbine class, and while your still shooting look at all the AR guys crying over their $2k AR's not working. now, their are plus and minuses to both. im not strictly advocating for the AK, but dont get your info from a bunch of people who dont know dick, other than shooting on a controlled range. look for stories from people who have seen the elephant. I have both, and have used both, in less than desirable places on this earth. 2-cents

I agree with E5, with one caveat.

If you have to make hits, on small targets, at extended ranges, in competition, the AK wont do it. Period. In my experiance. It just does not have the accuracy that the AR does.

I own a AR, but a AK is high on my list of things to get :)

Will I ever take it to a rifle match to shoot at 4 inch targets at 200 yards?

nope.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I liked my AK but traded it for a Ruger PC4 carbine because it used the same magazines as my Ruger 944 pistol.
    I missed the "cheap" shooting of the 7.62x39 so I had a custom AR built. I then figured I liked the piston version of the AK better so I bought a piston conversion for my 7.62x39 upper. The only thing I love about it after spending all the cash is I have the round I want in a piston AR upper.
    Both are wonder platforms. If money is an issue the AK wins hands down. If money isnt an a piston AR in 7.62x39 wins! Lol...opinions vary though.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Ok thanks guys. Im leaning toward ar for the versatility. Soo i know i dont have the required posts but is anyone trying to sell a good entry ar or ak. Also thougts on sks?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

Btw, this gentlemans opinion holds a lot of weight with me. I trust his opinion.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Ok thanks guys. Im leaning toward ar for the versatility. Soo i know i dont have the required posts but is anyone trying to sell a good entry ar or ak. Also thougts on sks?
    The SKS while firing the same round as an AK increases accuracy a LOT vs the AK. The biggest downside is that the ones that take "hi cap" mags are hard to find. If you look at the SKS platform try to find a "D" or an "M" as they take the standard AK mags.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    You know what bothers me? Calling things "Platforms".

That is the first time I have ever heard "SKS Platform" and I laughed out loud.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just run out and buy one. The fact that you are on here asking about them tells me that no matter which one you get, you will always be wondering about the other and will eventually end up with it anyway (or maybe this is me justifying to myself those extra purchases :):)
    Either way, you won't go wrong and you'll have a lot of fun with either one. Best of luck and safe shooting!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You know what bothers me? Calling things "Platforms".

That is the first time I have ever heard "SKS Platform" and I laughed out loud.
    I think they are referred to as "platforms" due to the fact that there are different variations and setups of each. If an SKS was just an SKS with no variation then I would understand not calling SKS a platform.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Stupid question but does anyone have a link to a diagram that breaks down various components of an ar. I get a little confused with changing uppers/lowers and other such things. Also if no one is selling are there any good places to find an entry level for a resonable price. Thanks guys

Top Bottom