• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    I wanted to get a HK Usp but my dad said that its to big of a handgun for concealed carry. So he showed me a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm or a HK Usp Compact 9mm. My problem is i like them both but cant make up my mind. So can anyone help me?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    The SW, MP 9mm is not a small 'service' size gun either... You should go with the HK compact if you are planning on a carry gun.

Have you opened the floor to other options? Brands? I just bought a Kahr Arms CW9 that I absolutely love. I ran more hard earned money through it this morning with no issues.

Glock?
    Springfield?
    Sig?

You may want to think about servicability as well. Does HK have that many gunsmiths around to add sights, deal with issues...etc? Magazines available?

I'd start asking yourself these questions. You may also start heading off to gunshops to handle some stuff before you buy just 'that one gun' that you lust after. You may have your mind changed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Both are outstanding firearms, both work very well. Fiddle with the triggers, try carrying them around the store on your hip for a while. Sooner or later, one of them will feel better to you than the other. Probably.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    These kinds of threads are tough, because finding the right carry piece has more to do with YOU than what we (INGOers) think.

In a perfect world, you could carry and shoot a USP for a week, and then a USP Compact the next, and an M&P the next. Then you could figure out which one suites you best.

But, this being an imperfect world, I would recommend AT LEAST going hands-on with several models at a gun store or gun show.

Then you've got to consider: caliber, size, weight, capacity, material, manufacturer, availability of parts, interchangability of parts, cost, cost of overall ownership, etc.

Always keep in mind that it might be small features that eventually sway you one way or another. For example, I believe USPs have the little lever mag release, while the M&P has a push-button. You might think this is trivial, until you're in class learning how to really run the gun and you've got issues releasing mags effectively.

I've said all that to say this: Good luck! :D

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Glock which she hates (that's my girl), my older daughter carries an XD .45, and she (Spacey) loves my USP fullsize. The problem is that the full-size is a large handgun for EDC. All of my children hate small handguns, so those are out. She is also left-handed which makes it a little more difficult...

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i think you should play around with the guns, feel them out, and definitely dry fire, i cant believe how important a good trigger really is. frankly i think it depends on how nervous you are when it comes to CC, when i conceal carry its a joke anyone can see the imprint on my shirt, or if my jacket swings open, or my thigh holster ha, if your not worried about that then get the USP, i used to be nervous but ya just gotta tell yourself, carrying isn't illegal, their is nothing to feel self-conscious about, i have never been asked if i had a gun (by a stranger)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    These kinds of threads are tough, because finding the right carry piece has more to do with YOU than what we (INGOers) think.

Yup. There are LOTS of handguns out there to fill every conceivable niche. Put a lot of thought into how you want to use it and ask yourself some questions. How do you dress? In what type of activities do you usually engage, etc? How are you built physically speaking? That will help.

If you have friends that have guns, they'll probably be happy to show you a few in more detail than you can get in the gunstore.

Personally, I would find it difficult to get by with one (or even only 1 holster for each). Seasons change. One's dress changes with them. One dresses differently for different activities. Sometimes one can carry a larger gun. Sometimes it's not very practical.

You might think of guns in FOUR broad, fuzzy categories based roughly on size/weight:

1. Full-size service handguns (i.e. Glock 17, 1911 Gov't, 4" Medium frame revolver, etc.)
    2. Compacts handguns (i.e. Glock 19, SIG P229, etc.).
    3. Subcompact handguns (i.e. Kahr CW9, Bersa Thunder 380, , S&W 642, etc.)
    4. Pocket handguns (i.e. Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, NAA Revolvers, etc.)

Smaller guns are easier/more convenient to carry under a wider variety of circumstances. Larger guns, however, carry more rounds, and are easier to shoot accurately. There are tradeoffs in any design.

All the major manufacturers make serviceable firearms.

Looking around and making the decision is half the fun (and educational). Enjoy the process.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I won't give a preference as far as make, model, brand. However I have some advice. I think far too much is made of small and light and concealment guns. All of those little bitty compacts and sub compacts are light and easy to hide, which is a good thing. But they are also harder than hell to shoot effectively. I know that their purpose is for bad breath distance, but I would prefer something in the four inch barrel size range. There is enough gun to get a good solid grip on, and they can shoot effectively. They can be concealed if you want to do that. The trade off of having extra weight and size is worth it in my opinion. Small revolvers and semi- autos are an experts type of weapon and most people carrying them do not practice enough to become experts. Get a bigger size and learn to use it effectively. Good luck.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    M&P is pretty pimp but save money get a glock 23.....

and some bandages for when it KABOOMS

Seriously go feel some guns see if you can borrow one to shoot from someone. The gun that screams THIS IS THE ONE when you hold it should win.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    USPc is still small enough to carry concealed and pack enough firepower. If you are using this for self-defense you have to ask yourself; how close will you be shooting? Do you really need tricked out sights or other hardware?

If the USPc is comfortable in your hand can you handle the mag & slide release easy enough without turning the gun over, stopping to look at it, or lose track of the front sight?

Also, if you buy a new H&K it comes with a lifetime warranty. H&K takes care of the issues if the gun is not damaged due to being stupid.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Seriously go feel some guns see if you can borrow one to shoot from someone. The gun that screams THIS IS THE ONE when you hold it should win.

I agree. If you don't like don't buy it. Your the one that is going to carry the gun. When your looking at the guns, ask if you can put it in a holster and try it out cc or oc. You'll know pretty quickly if it's for you. Your purchase should be based on the what feels good and what you can afford. It's kind of like buying an expensive set of shoes.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I will say this. I am buying the gun as a gift for my daughter. She gets to choose, but I get to make the final decision. I will guarantee this - IT WON'T BE A GLOCK!!!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have several handguns full size ,,compact , semi auto and revolvers ..

For CC i always carry my S&W 442 airweight ..compact enuff to hide . yet the .38special +P is good enuff to do the trick ..

Just something to think about .
    good luck with whatever one you decide on
    :ingo:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Go somewhere that will rent you a variety of weapons to try out. "Feels good" is not the same as shoots well so you need to shoot a few.

I really like the M&P compacts, I have both a 9mm & a .40 S&W. I also have a Kahr PM8 that is significantly smaller and very nice for pocket carry of for a small IWB gun (it has become my default carry peice).

Just my $0.02

Buckaroo

PS. If you provide your local there might be a member near you who would allow you to try out their pistols. Mine are available if you are in NWI.

Top Bottom