• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Tell her to buy a handgun just like she would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You might be surprised how easy it is to miss with a shotgun. At in-home distances, you might be quite surprised at how small the pattern is....

To each his/her own....

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I agree with Jay, start her out with small caliber. Whenever I have started a person out we always start with a 22LR. You can practice a lot with little recoil and the ammo is cheap. It's not a good choice for protection, but you do learn how to shoot well.

Tenacious1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    haha yea i wasnt looking for an answer just suggestions. good point on the being able to rack the slide

I do always recommed a revolver if you are going to go with the hand gun for home defense with folks (man or woman) that are new to shooting. All training recommendations are spot on and you are certainly going the right direction.

All things being equal, I recommend a .357. She can put .38+P in it with little recoil. It is double action so pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again. There is no rack to slide, there is no chance of a limp wrist jamb, etc.

There you go.... You asked for opinions and suggestions, and that is mine. :twocents:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    to keep a story short and because its still under investigation( dont know if it matters) my sisters house was robbed. she came home to everything gone and a butcher knife on the counter. she finally realized after telling me how i dont need guns this and that, that she needs one. i am going to have her take an NRA safety course on handguns and take her to the range. what would be a good handgun for a smaller girl who has never really shot guns. something strictly for home defense. i know the best thing to do is take her to a shop and let her decide what feels best but i just want some suggestions on what to look for. thank you in advance

Am I the only one that fully read the OP? :dunno: or am I totally off base by thinking that if she came home to "everything gone" that the gun would also have been missing?
    I think the first thing we should be providing advise on, is a good secure storage device, so the "home defense firearm" would survive a break in, and still be easily accessable in the event of an emergency.
    I am no help here since my HD firearm is also my carry, thus needs no sort of storage other than a good holster. Everything else of mine is locked in the safe.

As far as the gun goes, since it will be for home defense only, there would be no need for a sub compact or one of the extreamly small light weights. I would recomend as large of a frame as she can easily handle, and operate, to help ease the felt recoil of what ever cal she chooses.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Defiantly see what she likes, and is comfortable with. I do like suggest a revolver for a lot of new Women shooters. One because a revolver is simpler to operate. No slide to rack, or magazine to fumble with. Also with less moving parts, there is less chance of a malfunction. Something in a .38 snub. Small and easy to conceal. Or if she finds she likes pistols, then a compact 9mm would be a good choice. My :twocents:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Have her handle a few different models. If it is only for home I would look at a couple of options:
    1. 20 ga. shotgun pump or double barrel with an 18-20 barrel with buckshot.
    2. A carbine type rifle. The M1 carbine, barretta Storm, etc.
    3. A 3-4 inch 38/357 like the ruger SP101, GP 100, Smith Model 10 or 19 or model 60. I would stick with a barrel length of at least 3 inches.
    4. If she want to work a semi-auto, the glock, Springfield XD, Kahr in 9mm.

Top Bottom