• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Hey guys, I just brought my first baby home from the hospital and he has trouble falling asleep some nights. Running water really seems to help. Running a tap all night would kill us when it came time to pay up. We are running some sounds on the computer and he likes them. I cant find a site that I can loop the sound or download a sound into windows media player and play it on repeat.

Surely someone has done this before!

Mike

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My advice, RUN!:laugh:

To be helpful though, they make a nifty little device that generates white noise for just such purposes. I have one that has crashing surf, gentle rain, chirping crickets, etc. Pick your noise and go to sleep. Quite soothing actually. You can also try a fan, obviously not blowing on it, but in the same room. Serves the same purpose and it won't cost you anything but electricity.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    My mother once told me that at times I would only fall asleep when I was on a car ride.... So she put me in my car seat, set me on the clothes dryer and turned it on and I was out in no time..... Good luck to you though

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sound machines*. They have tons of sounds to choose from on each one. One sound is *usually* a heartbeat...which we found VERY effective back in the day (considering that's what your little one heard 24/7 til recently)!

*I think we picked one up at Target for nine or ten bucks.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Lay your baby on your chest so your heart beat can be felt and he/she will eventually fall asleep.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    First of all, congratulations! Second of all, lack of sleep is an unfortunate but common part of being a parent of a newborn. My daughter ended up getting her days and nights reversed for a while. It was torture! It took several weeks to get her turned around. That stubbornness has stuck with her too! :D

I found this with a quick search: Free White Noise

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Word of warning: sleep aides can become sleep crutches. If you sleep with LO on your chest for an extended period of time, be prepared for a period of adjustment if you want to transition him to his own bed before he's six. That said, Homedics makes one with several sound options; waterfall is a very close approximation to white noise. I actually used mine to help mask the neighborhood sounds.

<--------both kids were sleeping 7pm to 7am at 11 weeks of age. If you have questions, you know how to reach me. :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you have a smart phone, there are sound generating apps that might come in handy. There is a free app with the beating heart sound (among many others) called "Relax and Sleep", I have used the white noise to help me sleep when I am out of town. Hope that helps!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't like computer-generated white noise, like those ocean wave alarm clocks and stuff. It always just sounds like static to me. I have bought a few pre-recorded ambient noise MP3's from this place: White Noise Download and they seem to be pretty good quality. They're a little pricey at around $10 each, but they're a full hour and they're well-made. For example, a gentle storm without annoying car noise in the background or aircraft flying overhead, etc.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The wife and I have done this 3 times and the first was the worst. Later turned out to have ADD. Sleep has always been tough for that one. One thing that worked for us was to lay baby over our hearts and have them tuck in close so could hear the heart beat and get mouth close the baby's ear and make long slow shushing noises. Midwife advised that this mimicked noises that the baby got used to while in the womb. This also helped sometimes when baby was upset and unconsoleable.

Good luck and over the next few months you will get used to 4 hours of sleep a night. ; )

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Lay your baby on your chest so your heart beat can be felt and he/she will eventually fall asleep.

This is real good advice. Also if you read to the baby while still in the womb reading will also help, the voice recognition is amazing.

My mother once told me that at times I would only fall asleep when I was on a car ride.... So she put me in my car seat, set me on the clothes dryer and turned it on and I was out in no time..... Good luck to you though

This has been told by every Mother or Grandmother for years. I'm almost twice the age as Mr. Hoover and always heard the same. Plus you can almost never go wrong with Mom or Grandma advice. If possible talk to each side. They know history of family baby trait's. Also Grandma will brag that you called her for baby advice. :cool:

My advice, RUN!:laugh:

Also very good advice at times. Just saying.

I never have tried the ambient noise thing.

Good Luck.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This has been told by every Mother or Grandmother for years. I'm almost twice the age as Mr. Hoover and always heard the same. Plus you can almost never go wrong with Mom or Grandma advice. If possible talk to each side. They know history of family baby trait's. Also Grandma will brag that you called her for baby advice. :cool:

Also, be absolutely clear that the baby and carrier go ON the dryer, not IN the dryer. Important safety tip from your Uncle Scutter01. :thumbsup:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Tylenol-PM.jpg

Kidding.:laugh:

Top Bottom