• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hi guys. Been almost a year since I have been on INGO - have been dealing with health issues. In fact I have barely even pulled the trigger in 2012 :(

Anyway, in an effort to get off my sick arse I'd like to treat myself to a new sight for my AR - I only have iron sights now and am looking for recommendations. Red dot or something that will help me hit what I am aimin' at :) and will not break the bank. I would like to stay under $100

Please let me know your thoughts as I know most of you know way more than I do about optics.

Thanks in advance!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm not sure how well you can do under $100 bucks, but if you are willing to go a little over $100, (129 plus shipping) you can get a Vortex Strikefire at Palmettostatearmory.com. Or, you could do a step better and find the Ingo advertiser who has said in the past he'd match that deal. My guess is that he'd ship quicker, too.

I can't remember his name, but I think he's got "vette" in his name. Someone will surely help find him here. I'll be picking up another, or a Vortex Sparc, from him, as soon as I get my latest build done, and when there's another deal. I've heard great things about his customer service, too.

The Strikefire is a really nice red dot, and comes with a removable 2x magnifier. I've got one on my Ruger SR556 and LOVE it. You can switch between red and green dots. Also, your iron sights can cowitness through it.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    TruGlo makes a inexpensive (under $100) open red dot sight kinda similiar to a Eotech I have never used one but I know people that do and say for the money they are good. See link below

Log On | TRUGLO, Inc.

IndyTacoma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Avon
    I think its just over 100 but heard good things about vortex sparc. Watch some cheap red dots they dont hold zero with continued shooting

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    For under $100, your only decent choice would be Primary Arms. For a little more, you could have something from Vortex, Lucid, or a Bushnell TRS25.

Optics are probably the one part of your rifle, that you don't want to skimp out on. Avoid anything from Barska, Sight mark, UTG, TruGlo, Simmons, Tasco, and the bazillion other junky btands out there. If you actually plan on using your rifle, they're going to fail.

silverbullet4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    For under $100, your only decent choice would be Primary Arms. For a little more, you could have something from Vortex, Lucid, or a Bushnell TRS25.

Optics are probably the one part of your rifle, that you don't want to skimp out on. Avoid anything from Barska, Sight mark, UTG, TruGlo, Simmons, Tasco, and the bazillion other junky btands out there. If you actually plan on using your rifle, they're going to fail.

What is the general consensus on the Lucid HD7? I've heard mixed reviews. To the OP, the only reason I'd buy a cheap optic is because I am using it as a interim optic until I can afford an Eotech or Aimpoint.

D80Buckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012

I bought a UTG/Leapers 3-12 scope for Christmas and can't complain so far with a couple of hundred rounds down range over the course of a few trips. It has held zero very well since my initial zero. The multi-color capability of the mil-dot crosshairs is gimmicky but I was mainly going for the mil-dot itself.

I see a lot of folks beat up on the cheap scopes for one reason or another and I don't exactly get why since most of them haven't even owned one of them before. It would be akin to saying magpul products are poor because they're made of plastic & are inexpensive yet gun owners love them for what they are.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Actually alot of people on here who have bought the cheap are probably just trying to save you money in the long run. That stuff might be ok on a 22lr but on anything much bigger it will probably fail at some point in the near future. I had to learn this from experience just like most who have bought before

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have spent a fortune learning my lesson buying cheap optics. Will it hold zero if your storing the rifle in a safe, transporting it in a padded case, and punch some holes in paper at the range? Maybe. But drop it a couple of times, get it super hot on an Ultimak, soaking wet, run a ton of rounds through it in a course, etc...., its going to fail. Whether that be point of impact shift, mounts loosening, adjustment controls stripping, or stop working all together. It pays to buy quality when it comes to electronic and optical gear. Their are lots if other areas you can go cheap on, this isn't one of them. I would rather trust my life in a gunfight with an Aimpoint mounted on a cheapo DPMS, than a Barska on a Noveske. I'm a firm believer that you are much better off using your iron sights than relying on a ****ty optic.

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Gonna be hard to stay under $100 and not have to replace it every few hundred rounds.

TheBigKatz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    N. Indy
    Hi All,
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my quest for insight is VERY similar on the topic of a red dot for my new bushmaster; only difference is while I want affordable I am already aware +$100 is practically necessity.

Here's where I need help....searching high and low for a 1moa reticle red dot at a more attainable cost that the eotech or aim point route. Right now closest sub $400-$500 red dot I can find with less than 4moa reticle is the vortex Sparc at 2moa.

Am I missing a 1moa option worth buying cheaper than eotech or aimpoint? Is the 2moa a good enough solution at the $180 sticker with unconditional lifetime warranty that I should settle?

First AR, first venture into optics....please advise.

Top Bottom