• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?
    If you choose to engage, you can only attack her problem statement. Reality is you won't accomplish anything.....

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?
    Sounds like she's smart and hates violence against children. Agree with her.

Then...

"No one wants to stop the deaths of children in our schools more than you and/or me."

"Lets concentrate on that. There are more firearms in America than there are registered voters. That's a lot."

"I reject any solution that depends on a constitutional amendment. The ERA was passed in the 1970's and still hasn't been ratified. I won't wait for a constitutional amendment to keep our kids safe. Will you?"

"So if the goal is to keep our kids safe... as soon as possible... with our current laws... what should we do?"

"I'm all in. What should we do?"

Unless you (or she) has a different agenda. If YOU do. Keep it to yourself.
    She won't.
    She sounds like a lovely, wonderful lady to wants to keep schoolchildren alive.

Tradesylver

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    This topic can be the beginning of another thread. I'm thinking along the lines of taking "their statements" and really coming up with some good questions to ask. I saw that in an earlier post about taking responsibility for one's own safety. I think something along those lines. Avoid getting snarky with the other side and helping to lead them with questions that need some thought. I realize this a tall order to expect from them but if we can avoid them shutting down stomping off it'd be interesting. With that said those on this side of the fence just can't stomp off either. So let's take some of the most basic responses they throw at us and see what kind of thought provoking questions to reply with.

With that said, I'm not a great orator nor have I studied rhetoric. There maybe some in this group that have studied law and perhaps could help guide some of the discussions even play the devil's advocate.

Any thoughts on a good title for a new thread?

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I thought this was buried during the 2020 riots. No one is coming to save you, police get told to stand down or just get swamped. When the burnings started I saw some anti-gun libs I knew buying guns and preparing for their glorious revolution, or scared that the police will oppress them. So if they want to start with gun control they can volunteer themselves first.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Growing up in Da Region, there were usually two available responses for those types of people:

1-Go Fornicate yourself.
    2-Eat fecal matter sphincter.

Several variations of these evolved over time due to the superior minds of Da Region Rats.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't get it, is there nothing else family can discuss? I have soo many family members, most of which have a VERY different political views than I, we just don't get into political discussions. If they say something I don't agree with, I just let it slide....WHO CARES? We have so many other things going on in life that we DO agree on that politics generally doesn't come up. You don't have to correct them, it's not like you will change their mind. That leaves arguing for argument's sake. Blood is blood and you find a way to get along if humanly possible. One day they will not be here and these arguments will seem so silly.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Dated a women awhile ago who turned out to be a raging liberal. She was a wanna be rich girl who hung out with lawyers and like minded college professors. Needless to say it did not last more than 2 dates. One date was to a Derby party, which I had no interest in but thought what the heck.

I was very out of place so was pleasant and very quiet. Until I was standing at the edge of a group while a young idiot professor was pontificating about how evil America's response was to 9/11. I listened to what he was saying until he ran out of air then started to ask questions. Asked some details about his ideas then asked what we should have done about the 9/11 attack. He said that America had evil expansionist policies that caused the problem, got mad and pushed past me.
    Too bad because my next question was why were you still here in the is evil country making money off the evil government ? Really wanted to hear his answer.

My date got really quiet and mad at me. The ride home was brief without even a good night. Thus ended that endeavor .

Don

P.S. - Married an awesome conservative women a few years later and have never looked back.

Top Bottom