• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    The ignorant can be educated but stuck on stupid is stuck there forever. They don't know what the don't know and have no interest in learning. Attempting to educate someone stupid, is sadly a lost cause. OR what BigRed said.

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I once tried to talk sense into a FB person (who always claims to be a registered Republican and a gun owner) with a long post that had facts, figures, and data.
    (The only thing missing was the 8-1/2 x 10 glossy photographs with circles, arrows, and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was :))
    This person actually, kind of, agreed with what I was saying but still kept going back to the old "We have to do something!" and "There has to be limits" mantra.

It's like talking to a fence post. :dunno:

XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think not getting caught up in emotions and keeping the dialogue open is a great place to start. People have lost their damn minds and either can't or won't talk to one another if they see the other person as "this or that".

By all means if you're being attacked and berated cut off ties, but if this person is interested in actually talking with you that's worthwhile. Having conversation with other humans is important even if you don't get your way. If we can't even do the most basic thing and both discuss our point of view and listen to another's point of view, we are truly doomed. It's okay to disagree, but I've found when you listen there is almost always something that you can agree upon.

Edited to include:

As much as it's difficult to admit, sometimes we our the problem too. If we want to get our point across so badly to someone we view as different we will never stop and shut the f**k up and listen. Sometimes the best way to get through to others is to stop spewing our own belief and listen, assuming this person is important to you or a worthwhile human. It's difficult and our ego wants to be in control and dominate, but if we can actually act like a adult humans we can find common ground.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think not getting caught up in emotions and keeping the dialogue open is a great place to start. People have lost their damn minds and either can't or won't talk to one another if they see the other person as "this or that".

By all means if you're being attacked and berated cut off ties, but if this person is interested in actually talking with you that's worthwhile. Having conversation with other humans is important even if you don't get your way. If we can't even do the most basic thing and both discuss our point of view and listen to another's point of view, we are truly doomed. It's okay to disagree, but I've found when you listen there is almost always something that you can agree upon.

Edited to include:

As much as it's difficult to admit, sometimes we our the problem too. If we want to get our point across so badly to someone we view as different we will never stop and shut the f**k up and listen. Sometimes the best way to get through to others is to stop spewing our own belief and listen, assuming this person is important to you or a worthwhile human. It's difficult and our ego wants to be in control and dominate, but if we can actually act like an adult humans we can find common ground.
    Well said.
    The ONLY chance you’ll ever have of changing someone’s mind is if they go away thinking that they were heard, and if they value the relationship they *might* come back next time with a changed mind.
    If either one of these conditions are not met then they are guaranteed to go forward creating more little anti’s.
    I know that doesn’t fit the tough guy narrative, so we’ll all need to do this quietly and behind closed doors, but having a relationship is the only hope of changing someone’s mind and the first step.
    Of course it can easily not be worth the time or the effort but that’s the first choice.

TheSpookyCat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    NW Indy
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?

I don’t think you are going to change her mind, but I think a reasonable response would be to point out that licensed gun dealers are required by federal law to run a background check for every sale.

You might also point out that “Private Gun Dealers” are not really a thing. While it is (currently) legal for private citizens to sell guns they already own to another private citizen without a background check, it is still totally illegal to give or sell a gun to a prohibited person.

Finally, you might want to mention that straw purchases, which offer a prohibited person an end-run around a background check, are already specifically prohibited by federal law.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I have some indoctrinated liberals in my family. Some are married in. We all just don't talk politics anymore. Too many family get togethers have been ruined by the subject. A lot of FB blocking, ETC. It's an unmovable object vs an unstoppable force. Plus their political opinions scare the h3ll out of me to the point that I just don't want to know what they are anymore. I will say the truce has been upheld by both sides.

TheSpookyCat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    NW Indy
    Well said.
    The ONLY chance you’ll ever have of changing someone’s mind is if they go away thinking that they were heard, and if they value the relationship they *might* come back next time with a changed mind.
    If either one of these conditions are not met then they are guaranteed to go forward creating more little anti’s.
    I know that doesn’t fit the tough guy narrative, so we’ll all need to do this quietly and behind closed doors, but having a relationship is the only hope of changing someone’s mind and the first step.
    Of course it can easily not be worth the time or the effort but that’s the first choice.

This is a great point.

The only person person who can change my mind is me.

I can challenge another person’s viewpoint, but I cannot change it myself.

It’s also good to remember that arguing about another person’s ideology is a lot like wrestling pigs.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I once tried to talk sense into a FB person (who always claims to be a registered Republican and a gun owner) with a long post that had facts, figures, and data.
    (The only thing missing was the 8-1/2 x 10 glossy photographs with circles, arrows, and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was :))
    This person actually, kind of, agreed with what I was saying but still kept going back to the old "We have to do something!" and "There has to be limits" mantra.

It's like talking to a fence post. :dunno:
    You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant. (Except for Alice)

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It sounds to me like they are regurgitating liberal talking points from the MSM.

I guess I’d point out the flaws with their “logic”.

1. An 18 year old can legally buy an “assault” weapon in most states from an FFL. My understanding is they are basically automatically delayed for 3 days now but I’m unsure of how that works. In any event , if they are not prohibited person they can buy one from an FFL so why does it matter if it comes from a dealer or an individual. Why would they need to find a “private dealer” if they can buy one from an FFL with no issue.

2. Several recent incidents involved firearms legally purchased buy the shooter from an FFL. Once again, if they are not a prohibited person why does it matter if it comes from an FFL or not.

Like most liberal talking points, their argument is just to push the incremental eroding of our second amendment right towards their eventual goal of total registration and confiscation. Make no doubt about it, that is their end game. Every law or regulation passed will be working towards that end.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?
    Stop arguing. You cannot win a discussion about guns from a die hard anti-2A person. It is what is. They cannot help it, it's a defect they have in their brain.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    My sister was a teacher for 35 years and we have had this conversation. my question was why muddy up the water with a gun debate? You have a rope, a knife, a baseball bat, and a gun on the table. What do these things have in common? The common part is someone wants to kill you. Why not address that? How many times over the years did you look out over your class room and think, boy that one is going to be a maniac and what did you do about it? They never want to talk about that. She's also a golfer. Why do you need so many guns? Why do you need so many clubs? Can't you play 18 holes with a 9 iron? Same reason I don't go 300 yards with a .22. She actually understood that one. My sister and I are pretty close so we can say some pretty nasty things to each other and still go out to lunch together the next day. If your situation is different you may have to chose your words accordingly. The root of their problem isn't really guns anyway. I think its more about the draw of being Marxist control freaks, but that's a whole nother conversation. Good luck.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    There's no arguing past this. An example might work. Someone breaks in when it's just her and her children in the house, what would she rather have? bare hands? a mop? a gun?

Ten bucks says the answer is Well! obviously I call the police! then make the guy some tea while we wait for mr officer to arrive.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Tell her if you democrats would just stop shooting people, it really wouldn't be the problem it is today.
    And the bulk of shootings and gun deaths happen in Democrat run city's that have the most stringent gun laws already in our country.
    Absolutely true! The Democraps are blinded to the facts because of their cult like ideologies. The leading murder capitals in the US are all controlled by Democraps and their draconian anti-gun laws which have no effect on criminals and the mentally deranged.
    Just check the leading murder and shooting counts in Chicago, KC, DC and the like.
    All run by Democraps! :rockwoot:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    There's no arguing past this. An example might work. Someone breaks in when it's just her and her children in the house, what would she rather have? bare hands? a mop? a gun?

Ten bucks says the answer is Well! obviously I call the police! then make the guy some tea while we wait for mr officer to arrive.
    I’ve had that conversation a couple of times due to open carry. When asked why I carry a gun I say, “I believe I’m responsible for my own safety…..who’s responsible for YOUR safety?” They often will say “ The Police, that’s why we have Police, etc”. At which I make an exaggerated deal of looking around and ask, “ Where are they?” I had one women ask me this way out in the middle of nowhere, on a bridge, on a walking trail, where there were moose, bears, wolves, coyotes, all possible. I said “ you’re standing here right now talking to a man with a firearm and you’re counting on the Police to keep you safe?” She said, “I see your point” and we parted ways.

My own daughter a looney liberal married to a Marxist kept blocking me on Facebook when she would see something I posted that she couldn’t bear. Then a few weeks later she would unblock me. I always knew cause she would make a comment, then my friends would unload on her. After 5 or six of this routine I blocked her. At a get together of her friends she stated to the group that her own Father blocked her on Facebook, all exacerbated and all. Someone asked me why and I just said simply, “Because she can’t keep me blocked!” End of discussion. Shortly thereafter her mother in law (Native American social worker Marxist) sent me a friend request, which I accepted. She’s the spy for daughter, MIL will only comment or like benign posts, but must forward or show them to daughter as I hear about them from her once in a while. Daughter finally stopped asking me to refriend her. It’s been a couple of years now, we see each other at least weekly.

Disclaimer: I’m all for Police, glad we have them, mostly. I just don’t think they are responsible for my safety.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I’ve had that conversation a couple of times due to open carry. When asked why I carry a gun I say, “I believe I’m responsible for my own safety…..who’s responsible for YOUR safety?” They often will say “ The Police, that’s why we have Police, etc”.
    The few times someone has asked me this question I usually reply because a cops to heavy

Top Bottom