• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Why can't he have the sights he wants? C'mon guys.

Or is it a secret? Teach him the secret handshake fer Pete's sake.

OP, if I knew anything about 45 degree canted sights, I would advise you.

My iron sighted AR's with std sights are fired with a different cant for each position. Standing, sitting, prone. Nothing wrong with shooting your rifle with a cant. No matter what your Drill Instructor told you.

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Curious as to why you think you need offset sights for your first AR (or any AR for that matter). Have you been watching Jerry Mucilek videos? Or are you planning to put a 40x Super Sniper scope on it for shooting 1000 meters? In my opinion (as others have already stated) you should start with a set of standard iron sights. After you have mastered these, get a good (more than $100) non magnified red dot sight. If the battery goes down you can still use your standard iron sights by simply looking through the red dot site. If you want magnification, there are alot of good 1-4x scopes that will again let you look through them too use iron sights (if they are turned down to 1x). What type of AR do you have and what is its intended purpose?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I like seeing everyone assume he's brand new to the AR world. He simply stated that this is HIS first AR... it doesn't mean he has no past experience with them, nor does it mean he doesn't already have a good optic sitting on top. If he served in the military, I'm sure he's already mastered the standard sights, so maybe instead of telling him what to do with his money, some of you arrogant pricks could assist him in finding a good set of canted sights like he simply asked. :twocents:

OP, as for your question, for around $100 you won't get anything by a big brand name that I know of, but you can find cheap ones all around the internet. If you up your price range, the surefire set has gotten great reviews.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have my Midwest Ind. irons on 45. I think I got Lion Gears 45 adapters. I also got a riser for my scope. The rear 45 fits under the riser. I can post a pic if you're interested.

I'm not precision shooting, but the 45 adapters seemed to maintain a near perfect radius around the barrel. I'm not winning any competitions, but I can hit 6" circle at 100 yards with either the 4x "battle" scope, or the irons. My favorite thing is shooting clays at 50 yards. Wish I had someplace to setup steels.

Last edited:

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    I have my Yankee Hill irons on 45. I think I got Lion Gears 45 adapters. I also got a riser for my scope. The rear 45 fits under the riser. I can post a pic if you're interested.

I'm not precision shooting, but the 45 adapters seemed to maintain a near perfect radius around the barrel. I'm not winning any competitions, but I can hit 6" circle at 100 yards with either the 4x "battle" scope, or the irons. My favorite thing is shooting clays at 50 yards. Wish I had someplace to setup steels.
    That's good shootin, don't know if my eyes are good enough to shoot clays that far with open sights. Haha, Yeah if you don't care to post some pics, I would like to see it. Need some ideas. Thanks

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I try to check out all of the threads on the 45 degree sights. I have no use for them, but it doesn't mean they are useless. The opinions of those who use them, especially if it is not only for 3 gun is interesting to me. Viper Jock, are they something you use for only a specific purpose, or do you find them generally acceptable? The way I understand it is that they are intended for close range work only because your optic has too much magnification to use inside of a certain distance effectively. Correct?

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    I try to check out all of the threads on the 45 degree sights. I have no use for them, but it doesn't mean they are useless. The opinions of those who use them, especially if it is not only for 3 gun is interesting to me. Viper Jock, are they something you use for only a specific purpose, or do you find them generally acceptable? The way I understand it is that they are intended for close range work only because your optic has too much magnification to use inside of a certain distance effectively. Correct?

Yes that's correct

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    The front post is visable when I dial my scope all the way in, so thought I could use some iron sights for closer range. I was told that my scope was meant to mount directly to my gun, no riser.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The front post is visable when I dial my scope all the way in, so thought I could use some iron sights for closer range. I was told that my scope was meant to mount directly to my gun, no riser.

Who told you that, and how is a specific 3-9 scope "designed" diffrently to mount direct without a riser? Or are you saying your gun has a high rise flat top receiver?

For what it is worth, I would strongly look at selling your 3-9 and getting a scope that is more set up for your purpose like a 1-4. That way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Who told you that, and how is a specific 3-9 scope "designed" diffrently to mount direct without a riser? Or are you saying your gun has a high rise flat top receiver?

For what it is worth, I would strongly look at selling your 3-9 and getting a scope that is more set up for your purpose like a 1-4. That way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The scope and picatinny mount are made together, he said to raise it up would mess up trying to dial it in correctly. Idk enough about it to say otherwise And my plan is to get better scope, just don't have the funds at the moment.

Top Bottom