• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    223 gets my vote as its probably the easiest to come across and shoots very flat with 45 grain hollow points

I'm zeroed at 200 and I think that puts me an inch high at 50 and maybe 9 inches low at 300.

Talk to any old time varmint hunter or prairie dog slayer and they will tell you 22-250. It shoots even flatter and and faster and it's easy find as well. It's always in stock at our local Wally world.

17hmr is an awesome round but would take excellent shot placement for a quick take down and you would be limited on range.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Just my $.02, but look at the savage varmint rifle in .223. The new ones have a sweet
    trigger set-up and are not super expensive. Match that with a good scope and you should be good on coyotes past 300yrds. Learn to load it yourself and you can make nice light fox loads. The new Savages have a neat trigger that looks like the Glock trigger and I believe its adjustable.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    For what you get out of the 17hmr, its a great round for its size. Its a nasty round, and will destroy smaller game. They take wild hog with them, so I doubt Coyote will be much a problem.

Then again, go get a Mosin and use the 7.62x54R to do what you need :)

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I felt guilty leaving my old Winchester M70 in 30-06 sitting in the back of the gun safe. I worked up a 110 gr Speer hollow-point varmint round for it. Great to dance with the old girl again and really puts the hurt on 'yotes. If you reload, you can work up an equivalent for any of your bigger center fire rifles.

Top Bottom