• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jw7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Good Evening All,

I have a situation that I hope someone may be able to assist me with.

I feel like a real "newbie" at this. I would like to get back into target shooting. For a no. of reasons, I have not shot a handgun in probably 30 some yrs, much less picked up a handgun.

I am looking to purchase a Glock Mod 19 GEN4. A friend of mine has one and I love it. I have a Thompson 1911-1A .45 ACP pistol (1981) brand new still in the box, wrappings and all paperwork.

I went to a local Gun Show in my area yesterday. I met a gun shop owner(local) and showed him this pistol. [He is supposedly a "premium Glock dealer" (??)] Anyway, he is interested in my pistol and asked how much I was asking for it. I then asked him "how much cash AND this pistol for a Glock Mod 19 GEN4 ??". He thought a moment and said "$150.00 cash & this pistol ....". I hesitated just for a second said it's a "deal".
    Since the show was closing for the day, he said stop by my shop on Monday & bring the pistol and the cash and we can start the paper work for you 3-day waiting period and you can pick up the new pistol on Thursday.

My question to everyone is this a Good Fair or Bad DEAL ?? Did I get taken in this deal ??

Any comments, opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, jw7676

:dunno:

jw7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    How can I tell if the dealer is giving me a 3GEN instead the 4GEN I am dealing for ??
    He could put a 3GEN on a 4GEN box and I would never know the difference ??

Any clues would be much appreciated. TIA, jw7676

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Gen 3 would have the standard "Glock" grips that everyone is used to seeing and the Gen 4 has somehting that looks like spread out squares of "sandpaper" on the grip. Also, if you "ask him to show you how to take it apart" there will be a "double" recoil spring on it as opposed to a single spring. (I say to do it like that because he already knows you're a "newb" and won't suspect that you're just keeping him honest) This seems like a great deal to me.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Gen 3 would have the standard "Glock" grips that everyone is used to seeing and the Gen 4 has somehting that looks like spread out squares of "sandpaper" on the grip. Also, if you "ask him to show you how to take it apart" there will be a "double" recoil spring on it as opposed to a single spring. (I say to do it like that because he already knows you're a "newb" and won't suspect that you're just keeping him honest) This seems like a great deal to me.

^^ agreed, ask him to show you how to take it apart...you will notice the dual recoil spring, not hard to miss. If its not their, you know somethings wrong

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The 4th gen glocks I have seen say Gen 4 right on the pistol....:dunno:

Same here. Every Gen4 I have seen had Gen4 on the slide. Like others said it will have extra backstraps, a larger mag release button that is also able to be switched to the other side and the mags will also look different since the mag release is reversable.

jw7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Many, many "THANK YOUS" to all of you, for lending me your time and great knowledge of handguns !!!! I really appreciate everything !!! jw7676

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    The Auto Ordnance 1911s never had a very stellar reputation in days gone by. I've never owned one so, handled a few, take this for what it is worth. :D

And yes, that was before the internet and the internet whipping boys of firearms......... Like Taurus, etc.

I think you did ok. :yesway:

Top Bottom