Need a new gun belt...Wilderness Tactical ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Well my trusty Safariland leather belt has seen some better days after years of use, and I am in the market for a new carry belt. I have been looking at the Wilderness tactical instructors belt, and was wondering if anyone out there has any first hand experiance with this peice of equiptment ?? I would also be interested in hearing other reccomendations if anyone has one. I carry as of right now a Glock 26 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster, and will be switching to my Glock 36 when my new holster body arrives from Comp-tac. Help me out INGO !!!! :ingo:

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I use a Wilderness knock-off made by 5.11. It's a great belt.

I've always heard good things from those who use an actual Wilderness Instructor's Belt.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a wilderness instructors belt and I love it!

Had it for about 18 months. Best belt I've yet to own. Very comfortable and does a superb job of keeping my Fullsize XD9 and 2 spare mags in place and not moving around.

At 39.99 they are a bit overpriced IMO, but for 30 bucks they are completely worth every penny. If I saw one on sale for 30 bucks again I'd buy 2 more.

FYI if you are on a budget (or want a spare) the black water riggers belts (10 bucks on clearance most places) are a helluva belt. ZCompletely soft but when worn, are very good.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The main thing is to keep in mind what you will use it for. If daily wear with jeans, you may prefer the frequent flyer. Also 1.5" fits most pants better than 1.75." Many Wilderness belt owners I know use it now. Instructor belts are rock solid and set the standard.

All things being equal I prefer Galco's instructor belt. I wear one (1.75") reinforced model, every weekend and sometimes to work. I also use it in the field. It is a bit overkill for daily wear and does not fit easily into some belt loops. I am going to add a frequent flyer...........for flying and other check points.

Get one, go forward, in the end you will have more than one. People who use the 511 seem to like it just fine too but I am not sure it is equal to a Wilderness or Galco.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I have used a wilderness "instuctor" belt for over 10 years. Heavily used for the last 3 years. It is still just as rigid as a new one. Even the velcro is still in top shape. I have never used anything else but as well as this one has held up I would never buy anything else.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wouldn't leave home without my Wilderness Titanium Instructor belt.
    In use:

xnzprk.jpg

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    ^Nice Glasses! /thread jack

If you want a really good leather belt that looks equally at home with a tucked collared shirt and dress pants as it does with jeans and a t-shirt go with a bullhide belt from The Beltman. I've worn the same 1.5" Bullhide every day for the past 2.5 years and it's still an awesome belt.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you want a really good leather belt that looks equally at home with a tucked collared shirt and dress pants as it does with jeans and a t-shirt go with a bullhide belt from The Beltman. I've worn the same 1.5" Bullhide every day for the past 2.5 years and it's still an awesome belt.

If you do decide to veer away from the nylon and into leather, I HIGHLY recommend taking the above advice. :yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Like Bwframe, I wear a Wilderness Instructor belt. I like it with my 5.11 pants and shorts, but most belt loops on jeans are too short. When I can't wear my wilderness belt, I wear a plain jane 5.11 belt.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have a Wilderness Ring belt and love it. Everything stays right where is should. I am going to pick up a instructor belt next.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ^Nice Glasses! /thread jack

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:
    I have 2 from the Beltman. I have a horsehide and a bullhide. The horsehide is great for an OWB rig that is especially heavy as it is naturally stiff. The bullhide is great for the normal weight OWB carry rigs and IWB carry. It is not as stiff but plenty stiff enough for everyday use. I like them better than my 5.11 instructor belts I have. I wear 36" pants and for IWB I ordered a 40". For OWB I can get away with a 38"-39" belt.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I use a Wilderness Frequent Flier Belt. I love it. I got the 1 1/4" since I'm not huge belt guy and was worried the 1 1/2" would be so wide I would never wear it. Wish I had gotten the 1 1/2". Don't carry daily (can't where I work), but I've worn it several days a week for the last year and it has held up great. I expect it will stay strong for another 10.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    thread resurrection! I just received my wilderness instructors belt(the five stitch model) wow, overbuilt is an understatement! now I'm just kicking myself I didn't buy one sooner. it is extremely comfortable especially for such a stiff belt. I got the 1 3/4" width and it fits my jeans just fine so I guess I got lucky. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    thread resurrection! I just received my wilderness instructors belt(the five stitch model) wow, overbuilt is an understatement! now I'm just kicking myself I didn't buy one sooner. it is extremely comfortable especially for such a stiff belt. I got the 1 3/4" width and it fits my jeans just fine so I guess I got lucky. :twocents:

It's amazing how many people I talk to who have real difficulty carrying their gun comfortably for more than an hour or two. They always want to talk holsters, which do matter, but not nearly as much as the belt.

The conversations often go the same way, "I have a heavy leather belt and I've been eyeing another one at blah, blah store." I have to tell them that I went through the same thing. I bought 3-4 heavy and or work belts before I finally gave in to a belt that was built to support the gun and accessories. The difference is night and day.

Another thing that doesn't get discussed as much is how important it is to have a solid platform for your holster/gun. The gun stays in the same place when sitting, standing, walking or running. These things make a drastic difference in comfort and (heaven forbid) actually drawing your gun. Your gun, being where it's supposed to be and in a rig that stays in place when you draw could be the difference in life and death. It is pretty common in classes and competition to see new folks pulling an inch or two of belt slop before their gun releases from the holster.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I always loved "TACTICAL BELTS", Im going to make some new tactical lunch pales. They are good belts dont get me wrong just love that adding tactical makes the price go up..

Top Bottom