• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    so i'm looking for a new OWB holster for my 1911. Does anyone have any experience with the CompTac Settable Cant Holster? I kinda like the idea of being able to switch between a belt and a paddle holster. Of course I have been eyeing the Galco Concealable as a leather option. My only requirements are that the holster be canted and high ride to aid in concealment.

Anyone else have some good suggestions? I am open to Kydex or Leather options.

My budget is maybe $100 max since i still have to buy xmas presents for someone other than myself. :D

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only commercial 1911 holsters that I have are either a Galco jackass, and a Fobus holster. I have Desantis and Bianchi holsters for a few of my other pistols. as far as leather quality, I would have to rate Bianchi as being the better of the 3, DeSantis being a very close second. Galco leather isnt bad either, but I feel a bit thin for the money spent.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been wearing the Tagua "Quick Draw" black leather for a couple of months now and I'm very very happy with it. Comfortable, stable, and doing the job on a full size 1911 with ease.
    I was sceptical as it was being "shoved down by throat" by a young salesman but I figured, "what the heck, it's only $35.00".
    I didn't like it the first few days but once the leather formed in it's a "Killer" piece of leather.
    I can recommend it. I'm not one to push an item but this one is unbeatable for the money for sure. Good Holster.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Please check out the Don Hume H726 . I have carried this holster for years. Excellent holster; high rise, forward cant, very quick draw, condition one carry, secure. Nice thick leather. $65 bucks. Really can't be beat.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I have a Bianchi Blackwidow in leather but in order to snap the top the 1911 must remain cocked. The Blackhawk allows me to choose between cocked and uncocked. The Bianchi provides better concealment, as if a 1911 is easy to conceal....

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Right at the high end of your budget would be a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Nothing fancy in terms of multi adjustable, super high tech kydex changeable cant, stops incoming rounds....Just World class hand made leather that will last you a lifetime. AND unlike some of their other work you can get one without waiting from Brownells! I own a "few" 1911 rigs and my SS2 is still a holster I use a great deal. Everyone is different in terms of what holster fits best, so always a good idea to try before you buy, but if you do not like it I am sure you can sell it quickly.

SEMI-AUTO SUMMER SPECIAL 2 - Brownells

TFB53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Muncie
    good review from 60 Driver of the Milt Sparks SS , I have used mine daily with a Kimber CDP 5" for over a year, you forget it's there. I didn't think I could do the IWB , had always been OWB , this holsters changed my ways. You should also make sure you get the right belt to support it. Wilderness and 5.11 tactical make good ones.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I use a Galco Leather paddle holser for my kimber gold combat ii and it is great. Fits the gun very nice and fits to my hip very nice. Highly reccommended!

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Take a look at the Safariland 518 series, it is an all-leather paddle holster with 'FBI' forward cant. For the M1911 (full-sized, right-handed) the model number is 518-53. They are available for review and purchase at holsters.com. I have a 518 for my 1911, my 92FS, and for a Sig Sauer P22X (Full-sized). I think they are great holsters, hold up well, and as well-built as anything short of a Mich Rosen. (17+ years, and going strong on the P220 Holster).

I can't speak highly enough of these holsters...

-Paul

kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    I have a few holsters for my 1911. I bought a Galco Miami Classic II ($150 from amazon) and I really like it. works great under a light jacket or flannel. I also have the De Santis Sof-tuck ($35) that I have used some. It's a really good IWB for the money. I also use a Black hawk serpa holster. It's great for the range, not so great for public.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have carried the galco concealable, and currently carry the galco combat master with my 1911 and have no complaints of either. I highly recommend both.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I've been wearing the Tagua "Quick Draw" black leather for a couple of months now and I'm very very happy with it. Comfortable, stable, and doing the job on a full size 1911 with ease.
    I was sceptical as it was being "shoved down by throat" by a young salesman but I figured, "what the heck, it's only $35.00".
    I didn't like it the first few days but once the leather formed in it's a "Killer" piece of leather.
    I can recommend it. I'm not one to push an item but this one is unbeatable for the money for sure. Good Holster.

I agree with Harry, Tagua is a lot of holster for the money.

400087673.jpg

Tagua compact 1911

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the tagua seems like a great option for leather. i like the idea of a paddle because i can remove it easier than a belt holster. anyone use a paddle for a 5 inch 1911?

and now i'm eyeing their SOB for either my p238 or 709 slim. man, this could get expensive fast....

Top Bottom