• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd take this one with a massive dose of salt. None of the people in that article are scientists and no scientists were quoted or questioned, only politicians with an agenda. I get space alerts all the time for flares, ejections and storms and I've not received anything this month. Someone in the scientific community would have said something. The fact that they didn't leads me to be very skeptical about this story.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I'd take this one with a massive dose of salt. None of the people in that article are scientists and no scientists were quoted or questioned, only politicians with an agenda. I get space alerts all the time for flares, ejections and storms and I've not received anything this month. Someone in the scientific community would have said something. The fact that they didn't leads me to be very skeptical about this story.

while you're probably right, consider the .gov's timeliness on matters of crisis. much like a cop,they'll be there to clean up the mess, not protect anyone.

i put more stock in what the private sector has to say over the 'authority' any day.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    while you're probably right, consider the .gov's timeliness on matters of crisis. much like a cop,they'll be there to clean up the mess, not protect anyone.

i put more stock in what the private sector has to say over the 'authority' any day.
    While I'll agree the government hasn't "done anything", I'm not sure it's any of their business. You talk about putting stock in the private sector, but that electrical infrastructure belongs to the private sector. They're the ones who are not preparing for a possible EMP. Many, if not most, of the governments toys and infrastructure are hardened as a matter of course. The politicians in that article want the government to pay for something that the private sector should be funding.

Last edited:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    While I'll agree the government hasn't "done anything", I'm not sure it's any of their business. You talk about putting stock in the private sector, but that electrical infrastructure belongs to the private sector. They're the ones who are not preparing for a possible EMP. Many, if not most, of the governments toys and infrastructure are hardened as a mater of course. The politicians in that article want the government to pay for something that the private sector should be funding.

if the private sector had the means to protect it, they would. they want to protect their investment, if they could protect their grids adequately, in order to keep billing us, they WOULD.

gov has their own power supplies in most circumstances, and they don't share.

i'm not asking anyone to do anything. what i'm saying is, i'll trust someone whose power is made from dollars, rather than someone who's power is made from 'authority'

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The private sector does have the means and funding to harden the infrastructure, they're just hedging their bets and managing risk and saving their dollars. They've made billions of dollars off of consumers, if they don't plow some of that back into their infrastructure then if something happens it falls on them. Why should the taxpayers be responsible for upgrading their businesses? They've got the money to do it. They're just not convinced that anything's imminent and that if it were to happen then the taxpayers would pick up the tab, via government rescue. If you want the infrastructure upgraded then you should lobby your utility companies, not congress.

Top Bottom