• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, goodness knows I hate to be the safety nanny, but it appears someone has to. Stop touching it.

Your handgun is real there is no reason to go find excuses to wave it around in public. Just leave it in the holster and stop touching it. Don't play with it in the bathroom. Don't point it at customers in the gun shop. Don't play gun show.

This is why we don't point guns at people, even if you have a beard.

Boone County Sheriff's Deputy discharges his weapon in a conference room of the Boone County Prosecuting Attorney.

Boone deputy accidentally fires gun in courthouse - Reporter.net: Local News

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Obviously only amateurs should be entrusted with firearms. And right there in Shannon's backyard, too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is unexpected. Boone County officers are very well trained with respect to firearms, especially compared to most other police & sheriff's departments.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    As long as we are allowed to possess firearms there will be accidents. We are humans not Gods.

As long as we are allowed to possess vehicles there will be accidents. We are humans not Gods.

As long as we are allowed to possess hammers there will be accidents. We are humans not Gods.

As long as we are allowed to possess aircraft there will be accidents. We are humans not Gods.

This holds true for most any tool or object er own. We are humans not Gods.

With that all said I have no wish to restrict firearm ownership, in fact the laws should be relaxed.

Please excuse the lack of the use of commas.

Flame away.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This is unexpected. Boone County officers are very well trained with respect to firearms, especially compared to most other police & sheriff's departments.

Apparently there are two Deputys that don't understand that Show in Tell is for after work..

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Ok, goodness knows I hate to be the safety nanny, but it appears someone has to. Stop touching it.

Your handgun is real there is no reason to go find excuses to wave it around in public. Just leave it in the holster and stop touching it. Don't play with it in the bathroom. Don't point it at customers in the gun shop. Don't play gun show.

This is why we don't point guns at people, even if you have a beard.

Boone County Sheriff's Deputy discharges his weapon in a conference room of the Boone County Prosecuting Attorney.

Boone deputy accidentally fires gun in courthouse - Reporter.net: Local News

Bad deal all the way around but at least it was an LEO and not a 'civilian'. When it's LEO's it might make the news but that's about it. If it would have been a 'civilian' then the anti's never let it go.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

To state the obvious, it's not working. Everyone thinks that they are Tommy Tactical and don't have to comprehend the basics. Too many people simply do not understand all the bad things that happen with firearms. They treat them with only the contempt of the familiar can bring.

Maybe it is because everyone needs to make a mark to have a niche in a crowded market with the Charge of the 300. Maybe it's just that people do not understand the wisdom of their elders and betters. Got me.

To coin a brilliant insight by an INGO philosopher: everyone wants to be a ninja, no one wants to stand in horse stance.

Too many think the Four Rules are optional or that they are above them. We can't even get INGO to obey them: by a gentleman that said, "I think fanning people with unloaded guns is OK."

The guns are not unloaded, ever.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. Accidents happen when you coonfinger, even if you ARE a professional. Just ask Travis Haley. (Im sure we've all seen his new blooper where he ND's on the range what appears to be an AK during an instructional video. No ears, brass to the face. Reaction is priceless.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To state the obvious, it's not working. Everyone thinks that they are Tommy Tactical and don't have to comprehend the basics. Too many people simply do not understand all the bad things that happen with firearms. They treat them with only the contempt of the familiar can bring.

Maybe it is because everyone needs to make a mark to have a niche in a crowded market with the Charge of the 300. Maybe it's just that people do not understand the wisdom of their elders and betters. Got me.

To coin a brilliant insight by an INGO philosopher: everyone wants to be a ninja, no one wants to stand in horse stance.

Too many think the Four Rules are optional or that they are above them. We can't even get INGO to obey them: by a gentleman that said, "I think fanning people with unloaded guns is OK."

The guns are not unloaded, ever.

I'm not sure what else that can do on an institutional level. They all get indoctrinated with Gunsite . . . doctrine . . . and the Four Rules are an integral part of their subculture. Of course, when someone intentionally disregards their training and best practices . . .

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    There are two types of gun owners (among several actually). Those that have had negligent discharges and those who haven't yet. I believe there are extremely few (if any) truly accidental firearm discharges. What that officer performed was a negligent discharge. Just leave it in it's holster.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are there any more details about how this actually happened?

I was just talking over the weekend with a police officer I know. I was reminded of an incident that was truly an accident - gun in holster, trigger got caught on a zipper-dangle thing in that had managed to get inside the trigger guard, boom. I mean, hard to call that negligent; there was no coonfingering involved.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have had a truly accidental discharge. Had purchased a surplus pistol at a gun show, was at the range to fire it and test it out. This paticular piece had a hammer drop safety. With the gun pointed down range I flipped the safety on and Bang, the gun went off. Defective safety, pure and simple.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Are there any more details about how this actually happened?

I was just talking over the weekend with a police officer I know. I was reminded of an incident that was truly an accident - gun in holster, trigger got caught on a zipper-dangle thing in that had managed to get inside the trigger guard, boom. I mean, hard to call that negligent; there was no coonfingering involved.

This is why all my carry pistols have hammers. You may need to draw fast, but never heard of needing to holster fast. Putting a thumb on the back of that hammer gives immediate tactile feedback if the trigger starts to move.

I do have one striker fired as an experiment. Wasn't comfortable with it

Last edited:
    Top Bottom