Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Funny, I thought those ones disappeared the quickest?
    Hmm. You mean all this time I've been thinking, after typing a brilliant post, that I just forgot to hit "Post Reply" that some rogue Mod had DARED to "disappear" my brillaince?

Oh and to keep on topic with Navy stuff to show how I contribute.....

I actually think this was an updated Philidelphia Experiment that went awry and someone had to take the fall...

Prove me wrong!!!!

Hitting up all my Art Bell contacts now to get proof on X, FB, and all the usual social media sites. If I can only get it on GP....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Makes sense. I guess that the longer I spend being on here the more I'll be able to fit in and understand the community here.

As for the ice cream... WOW I just wonder why they didn't disassemble the ice cream machine instead of damaging USN property. And I'm all for leadership discretion, but when you literally make your sailors do some unnecessary and probably-against-protocol changes to a SHIP for something that was useless in the end? Gotta rethink your priorities lmaoo
    You assume they have the ability to evac the refrigerant, disassemble and repress the system. Especially back in the 50s(?) when AC wasnt as widely used.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That thing must've been ginormous

View attachment 378269
    They showed a partial pic in the video. It was the size of a large refrigerator. It was an industrial model and his goal was to improve morale onboard. Not just for his and his senior staff's pleasure.

And to the new guy's point, The captain just underestimated how hard it would be to get the supplies. He didnt think quite that far out. Its not like he can just send somebody to the corner store.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The antennas are more or less directional but, still, EMCON gets you very dead in an actual war.
    Yes. EMCON is a VERY BIG DEAL.
    Also, things are supposed to be checked out for interference in existing systems.
    Navy had a problem with missiles going bonkers from random emissions

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Some early headlines said it was an officer who led the conspiracy. Many civilians do not understand the difference between commissioned officers and petty officers or noncommissioned officers.
    The dumbest headline was probably this.

Senior US Navy commander illegally installed Wi-Fi on a ship — she was fired and demoted​

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yes. EMCON is a VERY BIG DEAL.
    Also, things are supposed to be checked out for interference in existing systems.
    Navy had a problem with missiles going bonkers from random emissions
    I take it EMCON is what we called TEMPEST. Red tape on conduit and the like.

(I am not making this up) No General, you can’t have a secure telephone unit (STU- III) in your bathroom.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Wow,

It’s a big deal to reduce a E-7, E-8, E-9 like Kelly stated. Normally is it’s not criminal they will let you to retire. I guess this was bad that’s a general court martial. I have had to testify in a few courts martial. It’s not a fun place to be very intimidating the convention rate is very high.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, what he said.

I one liner all the time because I am the blacksheep of the family and my Engrish not so gud.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I take it EMCON is what we called TEMPEST. Red tape on conduit and the like.

(I am not making this up) No General, you can’t have a secure telephone unit (STU- III) in your bathroom.

Sorry. Thought it was a general abbrev. used by everyone.
    EMCON
    EMissions CONtrol

The oceans are big.
    And I mean friggin HUGE.
    More like... friggin HUUUUGE. (Imagine Trump saying "huge")

In the days of finding fleets, it was visual only.
    So, you were very limited in what your fleet could see.
    You'd use frigates and destroyers as scouts to push out your search bubble.
    But, fleets do better when concentrated. So, spreading your fleet out, makes it less effective when the actual battle commences.
    And then it was affected by weather, the size of the opposing fleet, and the height (above waterline) of your lookouts.

Then, add night time. Lights of the ship, even cigarettes would give your position away, miles away.
    So, passageways to the outside used a double door airlock type of system. To keep light from 'leaking' out. And no smoking on the deck.

Then, in WWII, we added radio and radar.
    And while radar was useful to extend your search, it was a 'double edged sword', because the enemy could have a directional receiver, which would pick you up, outside your own range.
    A radar signal could hit the enemy ship, setting off the detector, but the signal bouncing back to the origin wouldn't have enough strength to get back to the source.
    So, your own radar would give your position away.
    Just like a soldier with a flashlight. Everyone would see the flashlight, before the soldier with the flashlight would reveal anyone.

So, when the fleet is in EMCON, ALL radio and radar are secured.
    (I use radar and radio together, because the 'r' in 'radar' stands for "radio")
    But if some dipsh** has an "unlisted" or "unauthorized" wi-fi... and it doesn't get shut down, it could transmit far enough to give your position away.

Multiple nations in WWII would find enemies through their radios and/or radars.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry. Thought it was a general abbrev. used by everyone.
    EMCON
    EMissions CONtrol

The oceans are big.
    And I mean friggin HUGE.
    More like... friggin HUUUUGE. (Imagine Trump saying "huge")

In the days of finding fleets, it was visual only.
    So, you were very limited in what your fleet could see.
    You'd use frigates and destroyers as scouts to push out your search bubble.
    But, fleets do better when concentrated. So, spreading your fleet out, makes it less effective when the actual battle commences.
    And then it was affected by weather, the size of the opposing fleet, and the height (above waterline) of your lookouts.

Then, add night time. Lights of the ship, even cigarettes would give your position away, miles away.
    So, passageways to the outside used a double door airlock type of system. To keep light from 'leaking' out. And no smoking on the deck.

Then, in WWII, we added radio and radar.
    And while radar was useful to extend your search, it was a 'double edged sword', because the enemy could have a directional receiver, which would pick you up, outside your own range.
    A radar signal could hit the enemy ship, setting off the detector, but the signal bouncing back to the origin wouldn't have enough strength to get back to the source.
    So, your own radar would give your position away.
    Just like a soldier with a flashlight. Everyone would see the flashlight, before the soldier with the flashlight would reveal anyone.

So, when the fleet is in EMCON, ALL radio and radar are secured.
    (I use radar and radio together, because the 'r' in 'radar' stands for "radio")
    But if some dipsh** has an "unlisted" or "unauthorized" wi-fi... and it doesn't get shut down, it could transmit far enough to give your position away.

Multiple nations in WWII would find enemies through their radios and/or radars.

Also, there's the Damage Control aspect.
    All equipment should be marked where it's source is, in case of fire.
    Also needs to be in the electrical plans, in case you need to rig for Reduced Electrical.
    All kinds of problems happen when equipment starts popping up and not planned for.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I've seen an E-9 Chief Master Sgt busted to the rank of E-3 Airman First Class and kicked out of the USAF. Two time drug test failure due to meth and other nose candy. She was a total bitch and lied/scammed her way to E-9. The fall was epic and many people were happy to hear she was drummed out of the service.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I had to testify against another E-8 First Sergeant that was taking the company funds and buying stuff for himself.
    To the non military personnel the First Sergeant is in charge of petty funds. Awards like personal awards for leaving personnel lunch for the company.

It’s a solemn trust that goes back to the revolutionary war the first sergeant has a safe with the company kitte in it. This is the $ from the unit not . Gov money.

Top Bottom