Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Where to begin... In 1989 the Dutch Navy sprung for a satellite dish in Iceland so we could get Euro Channels like Sky. Everyone knew what we did in Iceland: the US, Royal, Canadian, and Dutch Navies all hunted submarines. The USAF intercepted Tu-95 Bear bombers and provided Radar coverage. Everyone knows the location of Iceland, it doesn't move. Tom Clancy wrote a book about it.

Grisel Marrero, a senior enlisted Navy officer, reportedly installed a Starlink network on the USS Manchester called "STINKY."
    Senior Enlisted Navy Officer... that is a contradiction in terms. FORMER Senior Chief Petty Officer since she was demoted at a Court-Martial (not a small deal to demote someone in pay-grades E8 and E9.)

The command senior chief installed and operated the unauthorized network during a deployment in 2023. She charged the $1,000-a-month cost of the network to a leadership association debit card.
    I've heard of Command Master Chief, not a Command Senior Chief. The "leadership association" would mean it is not appropriated funds. This is the $20/month kicked in by all the Chiefs or something like that. Now why some random Chief didn't stand up and yell, "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING??!!" is beyond me.

She named the network "STINKY" to make it sound like a wireless printer, though there were no such printers on the ship.

Are you telling me not one individual raised the flag on a wireless printer when there were none on the boat? All the security disciplines including: COMSEC, COMPUSEC, OPSEC, TEMPEST (or whatever they call it now, compromising emanations,) plus SIGINT and nobody said anything?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Where to begin... In 1989 the Dutch Navy sprung for a satellite dish in Iceland so we could get Euro Channels like Sky. Everyone knew what we did in Iceland: the US, Royal, Canadian, and Dutch Navies all hunted submarines. The USAF intercepted Tu-95 Bear bombers and provided Radar coverage. Everyone knows the location of Iceland, it doesn't move. Tom Clancy wrote a book about it.

Grisel Marrero, a senior enlisted Navy officer, reportedly installed a Starlink network on the USS Manchester called "STINKY."
    Senior Enlisted Navy Officer... that is a contradiction in terms. FORMER Senior Chief Petty Officer since she was demoted at a Court-Martial (not a small deal to demote someone in pay-grades E8 and E9.)

The command senior chief installed and operated the unauthorized network during a deployment in 2023. She charged the $1,000-a-month cost of the network to a leadership association debit card.
    I've heard of Command Master Chief, not a Command Senior Chief. The "leadership association" would mean it is not appropriated funds. This is the $20/month kicked in by all the Chiefs or something like that. Now why some random Chief didn't stand up and yell, "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING??!!" is beyond me.

She named the network "STINKY" to make it sound like a wireless printer, though there were no such printers on the ship.

Are you telling me not one individual raised the flag on a wireless printer when there were none on the boat? All the security disciplines including: COMSEC, COMPUSEC, OPSEC, TEMPEST (or whatever they call it now, compromising emanations,) plus SIGINT and nobody said anything?
     STINKY is the default network name on every Starlink system. They were too lazy to rename it.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Just growing apathy in everything military... you see stuff you know is wrong. Even from the uniform violations. You say something but those above you don't care so why even bother. Its in everything now. The apathy has really gut into leadership. The why bother mentality is running rampart. I've been guilty of it myself I try but its becoming more and more tiring. Maybe this firing of a e-9 will be a wake up call and good on the firing. Nice to see a standard finally being upheld.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is hilarious. You can climb up on the superstructure of a warship and bolt some unknown antenna to it and nobody will even notice anything.

We all know it wasn't used for sports and movies, guys.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was almost with her until the lying, falsification and charging it to a gvt. debit card was brought up.

Worse yet, an unauthorized internet connection would have pretty serious security implications....I've been working my way through Tom Clancy novels lately.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I was almost with her until the lying, falsification and charging it to a gvt. debit card was brought up.

Worse yet, an unauthorized internet connection would have pretty serious security implications....I've been working my way through Tom Clancy novels lately.
    The antennas are more or less directional but, still, EMCON gets you very dead in an actual war.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Lol thank you months long observer from outside the club, 5-days old here
    I never knew it didn't show an actual date! Just as an FYI, replying to any of my posts counts as a quality post. I am renowned for my posts making a contribution to the forums and my coattails are long.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I never knew it didn't show an actual date! Just as an FYI, replying to any of my posts counts as a quality post. I am renowned for my posts making a contribution to the forums and my coattails are long.
    Funny, I thought those ones disappeared the quickest?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes well, the same way you feel perplexed at that is how I feel perplexed about having disappearing posts?
    It’s a common complaint among new members. When you’re here for awhile it will be no surprise to see some new guy racking up a bunch of posts in a few hours because they see something shiny in the classifieds. Then, once they get their 50 posts, they’re never seen outside the classifieds again.

This may not be you. Maybe you’re the friendly, chatty type. But our experience shows it’s more likely the former than the latter.

Like I said, once you’re here for a while, you’ll see what we’re talking about and why some of your posts were deleted. Don’t take it personally. Many of us have had this happen as the group was getting to know us.

sairax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2024
    Indianapolis
    It’s a common complaint among new members. When you’re here for awhile it will be no surprise to see some new guy racking up a bunch of posts in a few hours because they see something shiny in the classifieds. Then, once they get their 50 posts, they’re never seen outside the classifieds again.

This may not be you. Maybe you’re the friendly, chatty type. But our experience shows it’s more likely the former than the latter.

Like I said, once you’re here for a while, you’ll see what we’re talking about and why some of your posts were deleted. Don’t take it personally. Many of us have had this happen as the group was getting to know us.
    Ahhhh. See, when you put it that way, it's... a little bit more understandable. Almost a sort of weeding out if you may. But here's the problem, we new members do not know what's going to be considered "quality" or not.

Word amount? Content quality? Who determines the latter? It's just kind of off putting to new members that they have to participate a MINIMUM of 50 times where each participation counting is at the discretion of a mod.

Besides, if it was just about the community feeling, we wouldn't be able to get out of this requirement with a $20 buy-out. So which is it? Community or donation?

Alas, I'm sure you, having been here so long, have heard this many many times so I digress. I understand this is a platform that deserves support and I'm happy to support, but to delete posts is absurd. At least make new categories like "quality" and "not quality" and the bad posts will be put in "not quality". A one liner can still be important info.

Anyways, as a better response to the post:

I wonder if every service member on the ship knows every tool on board? I say this because I have seen people in civ. Leadership positions that did not know most of the tools available to them. Cabinets, printers, radios, company phones etc. With the Navy being as massive at it is, I wonder if warships suffer from the same fate: logistical overlook which makes it easy to either steal surplus or sneak in unwanted items. Thoughts?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ahhhh. See, when you put it that way, it's... a little bit more understandable. Almost a sort of weeding out if you may. But here's the problem, we new members do not know what's going to be considered "quality" or not.

Word amount? Content quality? Who determines the latter? It's just kind of off putting to new members that they have to participate a MINIMUM of 50 times where each participation counting is at the discretion of a mod.

Besides, if it was just about the community feeling, we wouldn't be able to get out of this requirement with a $20 buy-out. So which is it? Community or donation?

Alas, I'm sure you, having been here so long, have heard this many many times so I digress. I understand this is a platform that deserves support and I'm happy to support, but to delete posts is absurd. At least make new categories like "quality" and "not quality" and the bad posts will be put in "not quality". A one liner can still be important info.

I wonder if every service member on the ship knows every tool on board? I say this because I have seen people in civ. Leadership positions that did not know most of the tools available to them. Cabinets, printers, radios, company phones etc. With the Navy being as massive at it is, I wonder if warships suffer from the same fate: logistical overlook which makes it easy to either steal surplus or sneak in unwanted items. Thoughts?
    See, now ^^^this^^^ is a quality post!

1725629525987.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

IF we dont delete useless one liner fluff posts because somebody wanted to race to 50, this place would be a :poop: hole with tens of thousands of one liners. Often posted a duplicate of another post in the same thread because they didnt bother to read all 10 pages of posts.

It all boils down to maintaining the overall quality of the site.

Watched a short last night that this reminds me of this. A Navy Ship Captain had the bright idea to sneak an ice cream machine onboard. (not sure when, but all the photos are B&W)

Machine got to the ship and they realized none of the doors leading into crew areas were big enough to fit it. So he had his crew cut open the side, slide it in through the new hole, weld it back shut, grind the seams smooth, then repaint the ship like nothing happened.

But here is the problem. Materials to make the ice cream were not on the inventory of any ship, so it never worked. He could get his hands on the machine, but not the supplies to run it. :facepalm:

sairax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2024
    Indianapolis
    IF we dont delete useless one liner fluff posts because somebody wanted to race to 50, this place would be a :poop: hole with tens of thousands of one liners. Often posted a duplicate of another post in the same thread because they didnt bother to read all 10 pages of posts.

It all boils down to maintaining the overall quality of the site.

Watched a short last night that this reminds me of this. A Navy Ship Captain had the bright idea to sneak an ice cream machine onboard. (not sure when, but all the photos are B&W)

Machine got to the ship and they realized none of the doors leading into crew areas were big enough to fit it. So he had his crew cut open the side, slide it in through the new hole, weld it back shut, grind the seams smooth, then repaint the ship like nothing happened.

But here is the problem. Materials to make the ice cream were not on the inventory of any ship, so it never worked. He could get his hands on the machine, but not the supplies to run it. :facepalm:
    Makes sense. I guess that the longer I spend being on here the more I'll be able to fit in and understand the community here.

As for the ice cream... WOW I just wonder why they didn't disassemble the ice cream machine instead of damaging USN property. And I'm all for leadership discretion, but when you literally make your sailors do some unnecessary and probably-against-protocol changes to a SHIP for something that was useless in the end? Gotta rethink your priorities lmaoo

Top Bottom