• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fair enough. I may have worded it poorly the first time but we got there.
    As for what a driver feels in a cup or F1 car while cornering, I get that lateral Gs are felt. But, I always felt like it was mostly just a result of centrifugal force. Basically just the result of the changing direction. Regardless of the physics involved they have been using padding to combat those forces in an effort to make the cars easier to drive under those loads.
    The fastest I ever ran in a roundy round car was @170 mph up at Chicagoland speedway. To be honest about it, I can't recall really noticing the forces involved while cornering due to the headrests, shoulder rests, side bolsters on the seat holding me in place. Now, I would imagine by comparison the seat construction of the 80s with just an aluminum rib support and head support with very minimal cushion would have felt much different. But again it has been some time sine I did anything in a roundy round car and I only hot lapped the car at Chicagoland so wasn't like I had to endure it more than just a few laps.

This link contains an in car video with real time G-loading of Louis Hamilton on a lap that nets him pole position in Australia. I can't link just the video, but give it a watch

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...e-rises-in-g-force.vX8IhGjqmsaCoyy2uKKOi.html

Over the winter, social media was awash with pictures and videos of drivers pushing their bodies to the limits in a bid to prepare for the increased physical challenge presented by 2017’s new breed of F1 car. And when you see the G-forces Lewis Hamilton is subjected to in the video above, you start to understand why the drivers were forced to adapt their training regimes.

As you can see, in almost every one of Albert Park’s corners and braking zones, polesitter Hamilton - en route to the fastest ever lap around the Australian circuit - is subjected to forces well in excess of those seen in 2016, such is the improved cornering and braking performance of his Mercedes W08 over its predecessor.

Unsurprisingly the biggest G-force differences from this year to last were seen in Albert Park’s quickest corners, with the drivers now pulling over 6G through Turns 1 and 11. In the latter of these bends, the forces acting on Hamilton peak at 6.5G - 0.2G more than the most extreme rollercoaster on the planet delivers.

Over the course of 57 laps, that’s a lot of extra G-force for the drivers to cope with. And it’s worth noting that the weather in Australia wasn't particularly warm, nor is Albert Park one of the most demanding tracks…

Info I'm finding on NASCAR is 3 to 5 G's depending on the track, but they need to withstand them for more than twice as long. No F1 race is allowed to go over 2 hours

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good video abd yeah it looks quite demanding. I find many people just really don't understand how demanding it can be on the body to drive a racecar for a few hours. Taking G forces and withstanding high in car temps, increased heart rate, often some dehydration can be brutal.
    I know many moons ago some of the old guys like Harry Gant would drive around a couple days a week before a race with the windows up and heat on to be ready to drive 500 miles inbthe racecar. Now that was back before cool suits and helemts with forced air. Heck back then many cars didn't even have power steering.

Anyone who thinks racing isn't a sport needs to learn a few things about what the body goes through. I can see why drivers have very specific training regimens

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good video abd yeah it looks quite demanding. I find many people just really don't understand how demanding it can be on the body to drive a racecar for a few hours. Taking G forces and withstanding high in car temps, increased heart rate, often some dehydration can be brutal.
    I know many moons ago some of the old guys like Harry Gant would drive around a couple days a week before a race with the windows up and heat on to be ready to drive 500 miles inbthe racecar. Now that was back before cool suits and helemts with forced air. Heck back then many cars didn't even have power steering.

Anyone who thinks racing isn't a sport needs to learn a few things about what the body goes through. I can see why drivers have very specific training regimens
    Ernest Hemmingway once said that there are only 3 true sports. Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting. Everything else is just a game.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Ernest Hemmingway once said that there are only 3 true sports. Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting. Everything else is just a game.

Baseball basketball soccer and football require 1 ball. Racing requires 2

i think it was Henry Ford who said “auto racing began 5 minutes after the 2nd car was built”

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Fair enough. I may have worded it poorly the first time but we got there.
    As for what a driver feels in a cup or F1 car while cornering, I get that lateral Gs are felt. But, I always felt like it was mostly just a result of centrifugal force. Basically just the result of the changing direction. Regardless of the physics involved they have been using padding to combat those forces in an effort to make the cars easier to drive under those loads.
    The fastest I ever ran in a roundy round car was @170 mph up at Chicagoland speedway. To be honest about it, I can't recall really noticing the forces involved while cornering due to the headrests, shoulder rests, side bolsters on the seat holding me in place. Now, I would imagine by comparison the seat construction of the 80s with just an aluminum rib support and head support with very minimal cushion would have felt much different. But again it has been some time sine I did anything in a roundy round car and I only hot lapped the car at Chicagoland so wasn't like I had to endure it more than just a few laps.

Well, since we're at it . . . there is no such thing as "centrifugal force." It's actually just a manifestation of inertia - the natural state of motion is to move at constant speed in a straight line unless a force acts on the object. In the case of a turning car, the seat and its harness exert a centripetal force to cause the driver to move in the same curved path as the car rather than be thrown against the side and potentially out of the vehicle. If it were not for the centripetal force being exerted on the driver, he wouldn't be feeling those gs because he'd be moving with constant velocity until he smashed into something, kind of like cutting the rope on a tether ball.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, since we're at it . . . there is no such thing as "centrifugal force." It's actually just a manifestation of inertia - the natural state of motion is to move at constant speed in a straight line unless a force acts on the object. In the case of a turning car, the seat and its harness exert a centripetal force to cause the driver to move in the same curved path as the car rather than be thrown against the side and potentially out of the vehicle. If it were not for the centripetal force being exerted on the driver, he wouldn't be feeling those gs because he'd be moving with constant velocity until he smashed into something, kind of like cutting the rope on a tether ball.

I understand the whole an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon concept. Never realized there wasn't centrifugal force though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...This thread seems to be outrunning the positive thread and man that is just sad.

Your welcome, for the playground! :yesway: ;)

Don't forget about the enthusiast thread, as the season approaches.

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity 2019

Happy to have you all over there too, with your positive enthusiasm. :)

Thanks again to all, for keeping the trash talk over here.

:ingo:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Must say I feel the same

In the mid 80's we would all gather at the local racers pub Union Jacks and set up in front of the big screen for the Dayton opener. It was a yearly event.
    I was deeply immersed in racing on a professional level and all of my friend were as well. We did not miss one second of the race. Bets were flying.
    Then came that damned plate. And the race was forever ruined. Suckage has not stopped since.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    In the mid 80's we would all gather at the local racers pub Union Jacks and set up in front of the big screen for the Dayton opener. It was a yearly event.
    I was deeply immersed in racing on a professional level and all of my friend were as well. We did not miss one second of the race. Bets were flying.
    Then came that damned plate. And the race was forever ruined. Suckage has not stopped since.

Amen

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Back then I was just a kid but watched pretty much flag to flag with my dad. I too agree the restrictor plate has caused plenty of suckage. I get that it has had some benefit as well in regard to safety as most catch fences weren't designed to handle the speeds that would have been achieved otherwise.
    I can't help but wonder how things would be now if they had been able to run without the plates all these years. 20yrs ago I would have never guessed NASCAR would have such low attendance for any race.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most in here aren't and probably have never been NASCAR fans.

A lot of us were just pushed out the door by Nascar.
    The sponsors pay the bills so they can do what they want with it. The sport seems strong even with empty stands. That should tell you what you need to know.
    Money buys everything in the sport. Even the outcome of the races like it or not.

Top Bottom