• Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Good choice!

Any line on more of that ammo?

I got some at a gunshow and have test fired some mags. Down to a few carry mags worth.

PM if you ever need someone to go in on some.

Me too, again! I bought 100 rds a year ago, down to 3 full mags. I got a box of Hornady Critical Defense,(9mm) but haven't shot any.I may get more of Hornady($19.95/25). I will definitely PM if I find more Gold Dot +P

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    hydrashoks are inferior technology wise to all reputable hollow points of today if they weren't they pd's and the fbi wouldn't be using HST's. I normally use federal HST's and ranger talons in the warmer months and hornady critical defense and bonded rangers in the colder months.

heres some decent reading. Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger)

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    hydrashoks are inferior technology wise to all reputable hollow points of today if they weren't they pd's and the fbi wouldn't be using HST's. I normally use federal HST's and ranger talons in the warmer months and hornady critical defense and bonded rangers in the colder months.

IIRC The FBI is using Winchester PDX1 now. Maybe the HST's as well?

Or do they choose a new one each year?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Hydrashoks are not inferior.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Hydrashoks are not inferior.

yes they ARE indeed inferior to HST's if they weren't federal would not need to make HST's. they have inconsistent expansion compared to most reputable HP's on the market today. I didn't say they were horrible they just don't hold a candle to the newer HP's.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    yes they ARE indeed inferior to HST's if they weren't federal would not need to make HST's. they have inconsistent expansion compared to most reputable HP's on the market today. I didn't say they were horrible they just don't hold a candle to the newer HP's.

So, do you want to get shot with one?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I like the HSTs. I backordered a few boxes and waited and a few months for them. Serious bang for the buck.

So, do you want to get shot with one?

Given the choice, I would prefer to be shot with whichever is the least effective round of my available choices.:D

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Glock 19-Federal Premium 124 gr +P EFMJ

Sig 228-Winchester Personal Protection 147 gr SXT

S&W 1911Sc .45-Federal Premium 200 gr +P EFMJ

Kimber Eclipse Pro Target .45- Federal Personal Defense 165 gr Hydra-Shok JHP

Caspian Custom 1911 .45-Remington Golden Saber 230 gr Brass Jacketed HP

I like to use what shoots best in each gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know of any reputable firearms trainer that would recommend folks carry ball ammo in their personal defense pistols. I also don't know of any that would advocate reloading your own personal defense ammo. Same goes for 'exotic' ammo.

New, clean, factory-loaded, hollow-point ammo from any major manufacturer should serve you well.

Currently I carry HSTs. In the past I've used Winchester Silvertips, Gold Dots, Cor-bon Pwr'ball, HydraShoks, Hornady TAP, and others.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Adding some points to the discussion:
    • Firearm projectiles are unpredictable in "real life."
    • You can't rely on any given bullet penetrating adequately; you have to keep firing until the threat is no longer able to harm you.
    • You cannot assume that an expanded hollow point will not "over penetrate" and exit the back side of your threat/target. Even if they perform exactly as intended, the risk of the projectile passing through the threat remains. This is a good reason why you need to always be aware of what is around your target and what is behind it (rule #4).
    • You cannot assume that a jacketed hollow point will not penetrate well through heavy clothing. In fact, they often become "plugged" with clothing materials, fail to expand, and continue on their path as if they were FMJ projectiles. In other words, a JHP may actually penetrate more through winter clothing than it does otherwise.
    • If you think you need more penetration, it's probably a better idea to consider a heavier projectile than to switch from JHP to FMJ.
    • Not all JHP are created equal, especially when it comes to being effective after penetrating intermediate barriers. If you have to shoot through glass, especially a laminated windshield, you will have much better results with a bonded JHP (like Speed Gold dot, etc.) or a solid copper hollow point (like Cor-Bon DPX). Conventional JHP will often show the jacket and lead core separating, with neither having enough momentum or energy to do any damage on the other side. Ball ammo is more likely to be deflected by windshields than good quality hollow points.
    • Reliability in your weapon trumps all of the above concerns; if your gun won't work with anything by FMJ, then you only have one choice and then you deal with it.
    • The terminal ballistics and other characteristics of most of the premium JHP projectiles are more similar than different. I would select based on the following criteria (in order):
        1. 100% function in your weapon with your magazines with you operating the gun.
        2. bonded jacket/core or solid copper hollow points
        3. accuracy in your weapon with you operating the gun.
    Years ago I standardized on Speer Gold Dots because 1) they function in my guns; 2) the jacket and core are bonded and won't come apart (I believe they were the first on the market with this feature); and 3) they are very accurate in all of my guns compared to some alternatives.

I will also say that the DTI people (John Farnam's people) as a group have done a lot of testing of real stuff with a variety of ammo. They are sold on the Cor-Bon DPX and have the results to prove why. I'd take that as a clue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know of any reputable firearms trainer that would recommend folks carry ball ammo in their personal defense pistols.

Assuming you consider him reputable, Clint Smith has reported many times in his articles that he carriers 230gr FMJ ammunition in his 1911s. Reason #1 is reliability.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    We all know there is no guarantee, of a one shot stop with a handgun cartridge. A lot of factors come into play. I mean with a proper shot, you could kill someone with a .22LR hollow point. Where we disagree is, I believe you do not need to spend $1+ per round for a quality hollow point. Currently I'm carrying 180 grain magtech hollow points. I paid $28 for a box of 50. So does that mean they are not as affective, as lets say Speer Gold Dots that will cost you $20+ for 20 rounds? Testing rounds is great, but it only shows so much. You can shoot ballistic gelatin all day long, but it does still does not fully equal shooting a human being. You have factors such as clothes worn, body mass, adrenaline, and if the threat is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. All those affect how many shots it will take to stop a threat. Something that can not be reproduced, in a lab.

Top Bottom