• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    So what type of ammo do you trust in your pistol for self defense? I personally would carry ball ammo since with the 9mm it would produce good penetration with a fully clothed person.

boredstupid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Why not carry the Hornady critical defense if you are worried about clothing penetration. I would be more concerned with over penetraion with ball ammo. Hitting a bystander because it went through and then some could cause legal trouble. Not to mention you would have to live with yourself injurying or killing someone you didn't intend too. I carry the Hornady critical defense ammo myself.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'll look into that. I think they are pretty expensive to test for reliability in my pistol...but it does look like great ammo from what I've read/seen online.

Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    You life is worth more then a couple boxes of ammo. Hornady Critical Defense in my wifes 9mm, Remington Golden Sabers in mine. I might switch soon though.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I like the winchester sxt they make a practice load that supposed to be balistically identical so you can practice for a bit less money, Maybe practice and hitting are a bit more important than the exact mythical perfect expansion,

I bet if you really look into it all the major brands are putting out a good product

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I use Golden Saber JHP reloaded to +P+ ...

In future I plan to buy a mag's worth of frangible so that when it is needed, there's less chance of harming possible bystanders.

:yesway:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Why can't people understand that you are accountable for every round that is fired? using 9mm ball is a horrible idea. That bullet will penetrate the intended target and then carry on down the street. You are going to jail if you use your weapon for SD or for any reason and the bullets hits an innocent bystander. This is a risk that we all take. But we try to minimize it by training and using proven HP bullets.
    Most people dont understand how much legal work is involved in a SD shooting. Let alone a shooting in which your bullet penetrated the intended target and hit someone else. Trust me on this, I know first hand. I was arrested and charged with a D felony for pointing a handgun at my roomate who was high on oxycontin and threating me with a baseball bat. Several thousand dollars later I was cleared of all charges after the prosecuter decided I was within my rights to defend myself. And I didnt even pull the trigger. I beg everyone here to think abouth the consequenses of your actions and remember you are accountable for every round you send down range.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I stray away from carrying ball ammo, especialy in 9mm. With that velocity, and depending where you hit your target. There is a chance of over penetration. I carry 180 grain Magtech hp's in my Xd .40. I have other brands though. Winchester Ranger, Federal Hydrashoks, Remington UMC, and a box of Speers. I do not buy the expensive stuff. I think $1
    + per round is crazy. In my honest opinion, you do not need to spend that much. The most I have spend recently, is $28 for 50 rounds.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Good advice Hemi...but i have known of HPs that dont expand and act like ball and ball that has mushroomed, this is not the norm but it happens often enough as an aquaintance of mine who is a pathologist in the coroner's office has seen first hand.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    federal HST for me too

downsized_federalhst45230gn.jpg

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Ol'Bluesmoke, all I'm trying to say is minimize your risk. A FMJ will never expand on a soft target. A HP has a good chance of expanding and staying within the body. The choice is yours. We have so many Keyboard Commandos who have never been on the receiving end of a Marion County prosecutor who think nothing will happen to them even if they are in the right. Sure, I got out of the charges, but it wasn't untill I spend a night in jail, $3000 on an attorney and many trips to 50 S. Alabama to talk to investigators. This was from the prosecutors mouth "if you shoot someone and the bullet hits an innocent bystander, you will be charged". If FMjs are so good, why don't the police carry them?

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have done a lot of research as well my own penetration testing on phone books, lumber e.c.t. and CorBond Power Ball has consistently out preformed all the others. My testing was not scientific, but it did confirm the manufactures claims and that makes me comfortable carrying it.

Top Bottom