• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch I have a superstition that if I don't wear my safety gear when I ride, I GREATLY increase my chance of severe injury or even death, WHEN not IF I wreck my motorcycle.

^^^This! I always wear my gear even if it is 90 degrees.

Yes, i do too.
    Protective gear will reduce your injuries WHEN not IF you go down.

I get a kick out of these Darwin Award types who ride dressed like they're NEVER going to go down. :):
    And a good set of "straight pipes" and looking cool will "save" them from everything.

I have the Kevlar mesh type stuff like the yellow jacket shown earlier in this thread, and the Kevlar mesh pants.

It breathes good as long as you're moving, and actually isn't hot, even in 90 degrees.

Also, a good pair of gloves too, as you'll often instinctively try to catch yourself with your hands as you go down.
    And skin and flesh ripped from your palms... OUCH!

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If I need to move to the oncoming lane to avoid a bone shaking piece of pavement, It's guaranteed that a cager will be in that oncoming lane when I get to the rough stuff, even if I havent met anyone on the road the whole trip. I think it's one of Edsel Murphy's correlaries.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What percentage of riders go down vs those who don't?

If I was superstitious, here's where I'd be causing myself a problem...

Been riding for a long time...on an off for 20 years. I've never gone down. What the percentages are, I do not know, but I shall consult my reference book, "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough (no relation) when I get home. I'm sure it's in there. By virtue of the fact that I have a reference book, that tells you how seriously I take safe riding.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I was superstitious, here's where I'd be causing myself a problem...

Been riding for a long time...on an off for 20 years. I've never gone down. What the percentages are, I do not know, but I shall consult my reference book, "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough (no relation) when I get home. I'm sure it's in there. By virtue of the fact that I have a reference book, that tells you how seriously I take safe riding.

Sure, there'll always be people who never went down, never had a wreck in a motor vehicle, who's house never caught fire, have never been violently attacked, never cut themselves, etc.

But that doesn't mean they should be lax and never wear protective gear, never wear a seat belt, not have a fire extinguisher, never carry a gun, never own a first aid kit, etc.

Because NONE of us are exempt from these or any other mishaps.

And living like these things haven't happened to me so far, so there's no need to prepare for them, doesn't make sense to me.
    ESPECIALLY with an activity as inherently dangerous as riding a motorcycle.

That's WHY I say ride and wear protective gear for WHEN not IF you go down, so you'll have a PREPAREDNESS attitude.

I myself have been lucky (knock on wood) and only gone down once at a slow speed.

That was when making a u-turn with a 1984 Honda V65 Magna on a crowned country road and ran out of room and it tipped over on my leg and tore my hamstring a good one.
    Granted, protective gear would've made no difference in that instance.

On I-69 at 70mph, I once got hit in the head by a golf ball sized rock from a stone truck that was aimed at my face.
    Luckily, I had a helmet and only an instant to duck down my head and it bounced off my forehead.

Protective gear saved me, as that rock hit HARD and I'd have gone DOWN for sure.

But through the years, I've spoken to enough people who HAVE gone down, and friends of people who have gone down, that to me it's tempting fate to ride with no protective gear.

Though if somebody wants to ride with no protective gear, HEY go for it!

But I reserve the right to nominate them for a Darwin Award! :):

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    What percentage of riders go down vs those who don't?

"In 2001, there were 76,337 reported motorcycle crashes and 2,909 fatalities
    compared with 75,904 crashes and 2,800 fatalities in 2000. The ratio of motorcycle
    crashes per 10,000 registered motorcycles was 167.39, a decrease of 2.69% from
    2000. The ratio of fatalities per 10,000 registrations was 6.38, increasing 0.47%
    from 2000. The ratio of fatalities per 100 crashes increased to 3.81 in 2001, up
    3.25% from 2000."

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/2001_Crash CSI_v.pdf

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    ....and the other side (anticipating): roughly 98% didn't crash. In a year.

Meaning you have roughly a 98% chance you won't crash in one year by those statistics.

However, you may want to look at the MSF website and read the papers and statistics driving crashes - age, agressiveness, alcohol use, etc.

I would think hours on the road would weigh in there somewhere but didn't see it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Keep reading:

"The ratio of motorcycle crashes per 10,000 registered motorcycles was 167.39"

I'm good with maths - save you another post - 167.39 out of 10,000 is roughly 2%.

....and the other side (anticipating): roughly 98% didn't crash. In a year.

Meaning you have roughly a 98% chance you won't crash in one year by those statistics.

However, you may want to look at the MSF website and read the papers and statistics driving crashes - age, agressiveness, alcohol use, etc.

I would think hours on the road would weigh in there somewhere but didn't see it.

Thanks again!
    So if I read it correctly, that 2% (depending on state reporting,) includes off road bikes, OWI scooters and mopeds? There didn't seem to be reference to licensed riders vs non-licensed either, right?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    These are highway statistics so there are no off road accidents included, plus it says "registered", so I doubt mopeds or anything exempt from a license.

Left one out of the crashes drivers - training. Most crashes are riders with no training. Of course MSF is hitting that pretty good. I've taken their ERC and Military Sportbike courses - they are very good.

I also found it interesting that the largest number of crashes were motorcycles hitting vehicles - especially in the rear end - and fixed objects (driving off the road). So, if you want to cut down that 2% number for yourself, get some training and stay alert. ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    These are highway statistics so there are no off road accidents included, plus it says "registered", so I doubt mopeds or anything exempt from a license...

Pages 2-5 of your posted document say otherwise, unless I'm mistaken?

Any info on local classes? MSF sites says it's closest classes are WI and VA.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Pages 2-5 of your posted document say otherwise, unless I'm mistaken?

Any info on local classes? MSF sites says it's closest classes are WI and VA.

Oh, that's not true - about the classes - You can check out ABATE for the cheeper classes, or if you've got three bills laying around you can go through most Harley Dealerships - it's all MSF material and most are MSF instructors. My son just took the class weekend before last in Bloomington through the Bloomington Harley dealer. Both instructors were MSF instructors.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    By golly you're right about some states keeping track of non-licensed vehicles in their two-wheel accident statistics. So I guess it does includes some off road vehicles in some states where data was available.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...So, if you want to cut down that 2% number for yourself, get some training and stay alert. ;)

I don't have to be convinced on the training. I've learned through firearms/SD training that you don't know what you don't know. Often even regardless of experience.
    Guys ARE NOT born knowing how to drive, shoot and screw, contrary to popular opinion. :rolleyes:

The staying alert suggestion is golden. While I don't buy into the "WHEN not IF" mentality on crashes, it certainly applies to cars pulling out in front of you. That will happen and we need to be ready for it. My bike superstition is always knowing how you are gonna ride out of it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I don't have to be convinced on the training. I've learned through firearms/SD training that you don't know what you don't know. Often even regardless of experience.
    Guys ARE NOT born knowing how to drive, shoot and screw, contrary to popular opinion. :rolleyes:

The staying alert suggestion is golden. While I don't buy into the "WHEN not IF" mentality on crashes, it certainly applies to cars pulling out in front of you. That will happen and we need to be ready for it. My bike superstition is always knowing how you are gonna ride out of it.

Hold on there pard, have to disagree with you on one of those in that list. I happen to know....I could drive by age 3.

Stay alert - you bet - my rule is expect the other guy to do the worst possible thing he could do - the dumbest move possible - sometimes I'm right.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    These are highway statistics so there are no off road accidents included, plus it says "registered", so I doubt mopeds or anything exempt from a license.

Left one out of the crashes drivers - training. Most crashes are riders with no training. Of course MSF is hitting that pretty good. I've taken their ERC and Military Sportbike courses - they are very good.

I also found it interesting that the largest number of crashes were motorcycles hitting vehicles - especially in the rear end - and fixed objects (driving off the road). So, if you want to cut down that 2% number for yourself, get some training and stay alert. ;)

Not all states are like Indiana when it comes to scooters/mopeds. In IL all non agricultural vehicles are plated and you must have an appropriate drivers license to operate on IL roadways and that includes scooter/mopeds.

Top Bottom