• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Post a picture then see who can guess what it is.

CemeteryGun2.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Okay, so it is a “Cemetery Gun”

The Story:
    In the 18th and 19th centuries, grave-robbing was a serious problem in Great Britain and the United States. Because surgeons and medical students could only legally dissect executed criminals or people who had donated their bodies to science (not a popular option at the time), a trade in illegally procured corpses sprang up. This cemetery gun, held in the Museum of Mourning Art at the Arlington Cemetery of Drexel Hill, Pa., was one dramatic strategy used to thwart so-called "resurrection men."

The gun, which the museum dates to 1710, is mounted on a mechanism that allows it to spin freely. Cemetery keepers set up the flintlock weapon at the foot of a grave, with three tripwires strung in an arc around its position. A prospective grave-robber, stumbling over the tripwire in the dark, would trigger the weapon—much to his own misfortune.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've got one for you.
    I'll even give you a hint. -

They are both Remingtons and mechanically, shouldn't exist. They go by another certain name.

Name that Gun! :ar15:

Remington2_zpsfe7d24ae.jpg

Remington_zps1e4302c8.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Cemetery Gun?

;)

[rt click, image info]

I thought about doing that but tried to play by rules not yet written. I think OP is wrong, I think it's a harpoon for whaling :) Also, truth on the corpse thing. Donate your bodies to IU if possible. I think there's some financial incentive too perhaps.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've got one for you.
    I'll even give you a hint. -

They are both Remingtons and mechanically, shouldn't exist. They go by another certain name.

Name that Gun! :ar15:

Remington2_zpsfe7d24ae.jpg

Remington_zps1e4302c8.jpg

They do exist mechanically, the recoil spring is not behind the bolt and down through the buttstock, instead rides behind the action sleeve outside the mag tube. I have seen two AOW 1100's like that (functioned fine).

IIRC Tanks used to make them.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They do exist mechanically, the recoil spring is not behind the bolt and down through the buttstock, instead rides behind the action sleeve outside the mag tube. I have seen two AOW 1100's like that (functioned fine).

IIRC Tanks used to make them.

Yes you're right - They do exist because some company made it happen - but it wasn't Remington.

I was just curious if anyone knows what company originally did the modifications and what they Named their creation.

I already know the answer and have conversed with them back in the 1980s when they were selling these.

Another hint - This company is busy now making a telescoping stock system for the military on an old favorite gun. :rolleyes:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Looks like sawed off 1100's?

That they are but they do have another name that the was given to them from the company that hi-jacked them from Remington.
    (similar to me hi-jacking this thread) :rolleyes:

For anyone interested,

They called it -

The Sidewinder

Sage International Ltd made conversions to your 1100s or 1187s and also sold them outright as a complete weapon system in all different configurations. Federal agencies were ordering them with shoulder slings to conceal under a coat back in the 80s. As most know the recoil spring of these guns extends into the stock making this configuration impossible.

Pistol gripped, folding stock or telescoping stock - your choice. Super low recoil and very lightweight if you go with the shorty set-up. They were sold only to law enforcement and Govt. agencies and required a "letter of intended use". Not many got into civilian hands but I have shot one and it was very smooth. They stopped making these and the "old timers" at Sage that did, don't work there anymore.

Very Sad. :(

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Bullpups are suppose to be ugly :puke:- But Very Practical.

A California creation from the hippie generation.
    Love it or hate - As a Standard, I will still give it a High 10.

Top Bottom