• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Tell us what they are, and why you think they're important. Provide links if you can.

Here's mine:

Healing Our World in an Age of Aggression, by Dr. Mary Ruwart. This book examines politics through the lens of spirituality. For those who claim to be followers of Jesus or any other peaceful religious (or non-religious) philosophy, it highlights potential discrepancies between what we believe and how we vote.

Economics for Real People, by Gene Callahan. Austrian economic theory is explained in the most easily understood fashion, pointing out the disruptions and loss of wealth that occur when anyone introduces force into the market.

How Capitalism Saved America, by Thomas J. DiLorenzo. Most histories of the USA focus on politicians and wars and the actions of the State. This is not one of them. Instead, it is an economic history of the country, showing how the free market solved problems in various sectors before government got involved.

Freedom in Chains, by James Bovard. This is a thorough deconstruction of the religion of the State, dismantling everything from the myth of its immaculate conception, to the mass delusion that it is peaceful in nature, to its supposed sanctifying power.

Democracy: The God that Failed, by Hans-Hermann Hoppe. A book that demonstrates the economic forces at play in a democratic system, which all but inevitably lead to ever-growing national and personal debt, the destruction of wealth, and the welfare-warfare State.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Amazon.com: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (9780785289081): Dave Ramsey: Books This book has changed numerous lives leading people to financial freedom. I'm just getting started, but I've known a LOT of people who are financially free now in part because of this book.

Amazon.com: On Combat, The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace (9780964920545): Dave Grossman, Loren W. Christensen: Books For anyone who carries a gun for personal protection this book helps you with the psychological after affects of defending yourself. Reading in advance will hopefully help you answer some very difficult questions before that time ever comes.

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear (9780440508830): Gavin De Becker: Books Along the lines of the above this book teaches us we SHOULD follow our instincts. If we are fearful. We should embrace that and be aware of why we feel that way. It might save your life.

Amazon.com: Indiana Handgun Law (9780978627690): Bryan Lee Ciyou: Books You live in Indiana and are a gun owner.... Nuff said.

Amazon.com: Paul Revere's Ride (9780195098310): David Hackett Fischer: Books I haven't read this yet, but the Appleseed project highly recommends it. This is at the top of my "Next books to purchase" list.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    cant do five, i dont know that many books, but i can do three

bible because its full of great values to live your life by

patriots surviving the coming storm............... excellent story and a great guide to prepping for SHTF, maybe even the best guide there is.

any vince flynn thriller........... i love these books, cia black ops, counterterrorism, politics both good and bad... lots of action, easy to read.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    As the OP states, I'd like to know WHY each book is a "required read". What does it illustrate or talk about that you think is important for people to know?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The Holy Bible - Of course being a Christian I believe if this book is read with an open mind and open heart it will change a person.

Patriots: Surviving the Coming Storm - It is a good story which means you can give it to someone that is not concerned with might shat happen and it will get them to thinking. In addition to the story the latest edition is indexed so you can look up specific items and situations like blood transfustions.

On Combat - Written after On Killing which deals more with the psychological aspects, this books deals more with the physical stress of fighting. It helps you become a better combatant by understanding how to control, deal with the physical facets for example breathing and visual perception. This will help you become a better shooter.

Because They Hate: A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America - The author gives you a extremely passionate first hand account of her survival of Muslim terror. From the perspective of a Christian that suffered Islamic terror. She condemns the US for being "weak, asleep or careless" when it comes to the Muslim threat. She even runs a web site:

American Congress For Truth | Brigitte Gabriel

So Why is this a must read? Because everyone should hear the other side (not the liberal media's biased side) of the Muslim threat.

Thank God I Had a Gun: True Accounts of Self-Defense - True real life episodes of self defense relayed and analyzed. This book will make anyone think more about why they should be doing something to protect themselves and families. This is one of those books that could change how a liberal looks at self protection.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Fletch, can you give us a topic? There are so many on so many different subjects.

How about economics?

1. The Road to Serfdom, Hayek.
    2. The Anti-Capitalistic Mentality, Von Mises.
    3. Human Action, Von Mises.
    4. Anarchy, State & Utopia, Nozick.
    5. Time Will Run Back, Hazlitt.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    "Power" by Michael Korda - Lots of good insights on how to get it, use it, and hold it. Written for a business setting the insights apply across the board.

"Dress For Success" by John T. Molloy - Like "Power" there are a lot of insights into how people perceive others by the clothes they wear. Though again, in a business context, the principles apply to urban and suburban 'camouflage', and even some aspects of tradtitional camouflage.

"Nuclear War Survival Skills" by Cresson Kearny - All the basics for surviving nuclear war and similar disasters.

"SAS Survival Handbook" by John "Lofty" Wiseman - One of the best of the field survival handbooks.

"Where There Is No Doctor" by David Warner - Good medical information during times regular medical care can not be obtained.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Wow, between Fletch and Kirk there isn't a whole lot left uncovered.

Hazlit's Economics in One Lesson is available online - Economics in One Lesson

This is a great, short read that is a good starting point for many. It examines the "broken window theory" with actual examples. Give it to your buddy who is just starting to discover his own personal freedom philosophy.

And, since he hasn't been mentioned yet...

Murray Rothbard, The Ethics of Liberty - Amazon.com: The Ethics of Liberty (9780814775592): Murray N. Rothbard, Hans-Hermann Hoppe: Books

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    1. The Bible

2. Foxfire series - how things were done/made back in the day

3. Healing Children Naturally - don't need to medicate for every single thing. Ironic recommendation based on where I work :D

4. The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul

5. The Way Things Out to Be and See I told you so - Rush Limbaugh. Opened my eyes to conservatism when I was in the Army, many moons ago.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ill add
    The lone survivor... its about a navy seal in afgan who is the last of his patrol to live... walks you through the life of a seal from training all the way to the end.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The Bible, so you'll always have a worth goal to strive for.

A Book of Five Rings, succinct life lessons in strategy for competing in all aspects of life.

Don't Know Much About History, so you know where the country came from, what made it, and what it took to get here. Knowing what it takes will make people a little more appreciative of what they have and this book is more than most people remember of 12 years of public school ten years after they are out any way.

Wealth Without Risk, from the original Dave Ramsey +

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, just so you don't die from terminal seriousness and we've all got to have a dream to make life worth living.

My list isn't suppose to be the best or only, what ever or any thing. My thought is if a person only read 5 books in all their life, I think these would cover the minimum of all aspects of life best. Read these and you'd be a well rounded American citizen and better educated than the average 2009 high school graduate.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    As previously stated:
    The Holy Bible
    Total money makeover
    and not yet mentioned:
    Animal Farm-George Orwell
    not quite a book, but REQUIRED for true citizenship:
    The Constitution of The United States of America
    hmmm, that's only 4, but I'll run with it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Unintended Consequences by John Ross - I am astounded, shocked, and appalled that no one has mentioned this one yet... maybe we're assuming it's already on the list? Great novel; true history interlaced with a compelling plot and a protagonist with whom all members of the 'gun culture' can identify. A thrilling read and as Mr. Ross himself notes, a tale of caution to those who would infringe: "Nemo nos impune lacessit."

Fahrenheit 451: The temperature at which paper will submit to flame. Also a great novel by Ray Bradbury concerning a dystopic future in which ideas are censored through the deliberate limitation of what ideas may be consumed... and a world in which almost everything is consumed in the flaming passion of the State.

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: A description of the gulags into which thousand upon thousand of dissents in Soviet Russia found themselves performing manual labor amidst grueling conditions in the stark wasteland of Siberia. Long, dry, and entertaining to even the most dedicated philistine and lover of literature alike.

The Stranger by Albert Camus (yes, he's French, but don't let that stop you). Perhaps the epitome of apathy or existentialism, depending on how you view it, this novel deals with a man who, by almost-accident, shoots an Arab on a Parisian beach and the detailing of what unfolds in a world in which everyone seems to care about his fate but he himself.

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov - a fantastic tale about a supposed juxtapositions of worlds; of raising children, fueling the universe, and politic running amok even in opposition to the will of the People who are governed according to its whims... against stupidity, even the gods themselves must contend.

All are worth a read, and everyone who has done so or who does so deserves nothing less than a twenty-one gun salute, in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Unintended Consequeces is quite the book when it comes to reading something entertaining and totally about the gun culture.

Animal Farm and 1984 - These two books were required in my high school, I don't know if it's like that elsewhere, but it should be required reading, they are quick trust me.

Starship Troopers and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - I really like Robert Heinlein, his books are way ahead of their time of print. Moon is about a government on earth telling the people on the moon colony what to do, and the colony rebels. Starship Troopers has just been a favorite of mine...

The Rights of Man, Common Sense, The Federalist Papers, and The Anti-Federalist Papers because you can see what the thinking was like back when this country was founded and read about some of the issues that they debated.

Those should keep you busy...I'll add more as I think of them.

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey
    This book changes lives through confronting the psychology of money rather than the mathematics. It gives a path to wealth that isn't in any way "get rich quick".

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    She predicted the last 5 years and how the government is eclipsing private enterprise in this country. It seriously reads like recent news paper headlines. The kicker is that she wrote it 50 years ago. *beware of the 40 page Galt radio speech

A General Theory of Crime - Michael R. Gottfredson and Travis Hirschi
    I read this in a Criminology class way back in college. Their theory just makes too much sense. Is it perfect? No. But it's much better than any positivistic theory of human behavior I've read. LSC X OPP = Crime
    Available as an ebook:
    A general theory of crime - Google Books

On Combat -
    Dave Grossman
    War, battle, fighting, combat, whatever is not without psychological cost and trauma. Grossman does a great job of detailing why training is important and why the human brain does what it does when confronted with stress.

The Book I Haven't Written Yet - Me
    Someday I'll write a book about holistic decision making as it relates to defense specifically and daily living in general.

Top Bottom