• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    If the wallet holster makes the combination of the gun and holster look enough "not like a gun" then the combination is (may be?) an AOW. Will leave it to you to research / discuss with BATFE if this combination is considered an AOW.

If this combination is an AOW, then you need to file and have approved the Form 1 for the AOW prior to having control over both the gun and holster. Once you get the Form 1 you will need to have your name and town engraved on the gun.

When you sell the combination, you will need the new owner to fill out Form 4s, get them approved, wait the nominal half year for BATFE and one of you will need to pay another $200. In theory you could break up the combination and sell separately to different people, one would think (is a waste of $200 for the tax stamp is you are going to resell soon ;-)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I remember seeing them all the time at the guns shows in the early 1980's. I was told that if it can be fired from the wallet it is an NFA item. Then again that was what I was told at the time. I think it falls into the cane gun and pen gun catagory.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    When you sell the combination, you will need the new owner to fill out Form 4s, get them approved, wait the nominal half year for BATFE and one of you will need to pay another $200. In theory you could break up the combination and sell separately to different people, one would think (is a waste of $200 for the tax stamp is you are going to resell soon ;-)

Should qualify for $5 transfer as AOW though, right?

Anyway, not worth $200 to me. I'd rather put the money towards a Serbu or something like that.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The ad pretty much answered you question.

[SIZE=+1]Seller's Description:[/SIZE]
    It is the buyer's responsibility to READ the auction item description BEFORE bidding . Great opportunity to own this RARE piece of NORTH AMERICAN ARMS History ,factory original NAA collector's item. This RARE wallet holster was only made from 1994 and Discontinued at the end of 1996. NORTH AMERICAN ARMS #NAA-WH-LR Discontinued .22LR operational wallet holster. New,Mint,Unused and comes with the factory Box Top. Model #NAA-WH-LR fits the North American Arms .22LR frame mini revolvers with the 1 1/8" barrel listed below: #NAA-22LR (.22LR cal.) #NAA-17LR (.17 Mach2 cal.) #NAA-22LR CB "COMPANION" cap & ball. These factory operational wallets were DISCONTINUED in 1996 and are in the same category as an operational briefcase. These wallets are also known as "SHOOT-THRU" wallets - because once the firearm is INSTALLED inside the wallet,the firearm can be fired while remaining INCASED or DISGUISED inside the wallet - making it FULLY OPERATIONAL. NO grips on the firearm ,so the wallet will remain FLAT. By purchasing this wallet holster,you are affirming that; (A): Your purchase IS for COLLECTOR,INVESTMENT and LAWFUL PURPOSES ONLY and you have NO intention of INSTALLING a firearm in this wallet; or (B): Your mini revolver IS a registered AOW (Any Other Weapon) with B.A.T.F.E. , it is the buyer's responsibility to comply with all NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT rules ,concerning possession of FIREARM and OPERATIONAL WALLET "installed" combination. Collector's,Class 03 Dealer's,Class 02 Manufacture's - These are factory original Discontinued RARE collector's items and hard to find in it's original unused factory new condition.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I was reasonably sure about the AOW part, I guess my question was more in regards to the process and expense of doing so, and the ramifications of selling it afterwards. As in, if I separate the pistol from the wallet can I sell it like any other, or once it's registered is it always an AOW and must be treated as such?

One would think that returning it to the original configuration would render it "not an AOW anymore", but ATF has weird rules about things like this. (Did the shotgun come with a stock? Then it's a SBS, not an AOW)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    With SBS's and SBR's, if it no longer meets the definition of an SBS(R), it can be sold as a Title I firearm. I would imagine the pistol would be the same. If you got rid of the wallet, it no longer meets the definition of an AOW and you could treat the firearm as a normal revolver.

Here is an illustration from the ATF's website that shows this very thing:
    nfa-aow-2.jpg

It specifically says that without the wallet it is not a prohibited item. If you DO sell the revolver by itself, it is no longer an AOW, and would have to be re-registered as an AOW. The easiest way to acquire one of these is to buy the firearm, buy the wallet and give it to an 02 SOT to register on a Form 2. It would be a tax-free registration and then a $5 Form 4 transfer to you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom