Mythbusters banned from doing RFID episode.... wow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ah, sure. This is just a "request." One of the papers is from the University of Wisconsin.

According to a US Department of Education database:
    U.S. Department of Education Grant Awards

The Department of Education alone granted $1,927,065.00 to the University of Wisconsin since 2009 for stuff.

Can't put my finger on other federally funded research, but I wouldn't doubt that it clears $100M per year. You don't think a big percentage of that wouldn't be at risk if UW doesn't comply with the request? ;)

An NPR story I heard suggested that .gov could set up a "list" of researchers with special access to the information, for "appropriate" purposes.

Government control of access to information is... censorship?

Edit:
    In 2008, UW-Madison received ~$474M in federal research funding (8th highest).
    http://chronicle.com/article/Federal-Spending-on-Academic/48670/

Edit2:
    In 2009, it was ~$514M.
    http://northparkstreet.com/2011/03/uw-madison-research-funding-and-the-nbp/

Oh, and... "Because the UW-Madison has excelled over time at attracting merit-based grants from federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health, it may become more vulnerable if federal research funding takes a hit."
    http://wtnnews.com/articles/8878/

Fed money is the big stick in research.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For the purposes of my point, the details of why the government wants it not printed are irrelevant. In this case, I don't understand their point.
    (But in the real world you understand the danger of a highly contagious, highly lethal, transferable from human to human flu with no known cure being developed by our enemies)

The real gem in this thread is the concept of MrJarrell being a Political Mr. Rogers. New topics every Tuesday and Friday. It could be fun if the thread stayed on topic/term and it were actually discussed.

As for RFID it has its place, like I-PASS and I love mine, but it is optional and I can remove it. I don't want an I-*SS in my wallet or on my person. But we have one already called ours eyes and the movie Minority Report portrays that well. Watch it if you never have. Maybe in the future rebels will wear dark sunglasses?

Of course how many of you have posted digital pictures on Facebook with GPS tags in it showing exactly where you live and store that expensive item in the photo.............and did not even know it?

Be a rebel, buy a paper based map.

tlkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    New Haven
    If I bought a shirt from Walmart and that shirt had a RFID tag in it, could I not then be tracked through every RFID scanner that I walked near? Of course I could. And these are used more in Europe. And where are individual's liberties most regulated? Europe. I don't think the gov is using this to track citizens movements on a regular basis but but under the Patriot Act I bet they can.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ah, sure. This is just a "request." One of the papers is from the University of Wisconsin.

According to a US Department of Education database:
    U.S. Department of Education Grant Awards
    That was made clear from day one, the Govt. helped pay for that research. If you live in a non-profit fantasy world where the costs of your goods and services rise exponentially compared to the rest of the world around you, then you do what your benefactors tell you to do.

If Lilly did the research, they could do what they wanted with it BUT you can bet they and others now want access to it. The Govt picks the winners by deciding who actually gets to have it to develop a for profit vaccine.

Then Lilly gives money to Politicians.

The circle closes.

Govt money----University research-----research results to Corp.--------Corp gives money to Politiciain's campaign-----re election & no term limits equal endless monoply of power and access----rinse repeat-----Govt money goes to universities for research corps can use-----

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I bought a shirt from Walmart and that shirt had a RFID tag in it, could I not then be tracked through every RFID scanner that I walked near? Of course I could. And these are used more in Europe. And where are individual's liberties most regulated? Europe. I don't think the gov is using this to track citizens movements on a regular basis but but under the Patriot Act I bet they can.
    No info about you is encoded in the RFID.

The credit card RFID or cell phone is as close as you get right now to the mark of the beast. You willingly put it on your person. One earlier post was great, you do it because you are lazy, too lazy to swipe and sign.

Your cell phone tracks you now 24/7.

I will invest my time in things like personal security and stand in line so I can swipe and sign rather than carry that RFID. I never go to Walmart when there are lines anyway and rarely go there or any other place when there may be long lines or waits.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @T.LEX I think this about covers your post.
    18.jpg
    ;)

Correct to a point. They (whomever has a RIFD reader) will know that at 12:35 someone with a green, size XL, T-Shirt, product # 1298-09 passed thru the Jillana Cafe Shop.

The RIFD in the cloths has no personal information about you (yet).

Now a RIFD Credit Card or worse a RIFD work ID will do the following.
    John A Doe, SSN 123-45-6789. 123 Main St., AnyTown, IN, 46319, Height 5, 9", Weight: 190 lb, Eyes: Blue, Hair Black, Tatto of skull on leg, Blood O+, Bank Routing Number 2345; Chase Bank, Bank Account: 1234, Work UserName: JohnDoe12 passed thru the Jillana Cafe Shop at 12:35.

See the difference!!

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    @T.LEX I think this about covers your post.
    18.jpg
    ;)

Correct to a point. They (whomever has a RIFD reader) will know that at 12:35 someone with a green, size XL, T-Shirt, product # 1298-09 passed thru the Jillana Cafe Shop.

The RIFD in the cloths has no personal information about you (yet).

John A Doe, SSN 123-45-6789. 123 Main St., AnyTown, IN, 46319, Height 5, 9", Weight: 190 lb, Eyes: Blue, Hair Black, Tatto of skull on leg, Blood O+, Bank Routing Number 2345; Chase Bank, Bank Account: 1234, Work UserName: JohnDoe12 passed thru the Jillana Cafe Shop at 12:35.

See the difference!!
    Get this www.idstronghold.com or just get out the good old aluminum foil,wrap your cell phone and then get somebody to try and call you,it will not ring and no GPS.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    SNIP

SNIP

Also people need to realize that Employee cards that contain RFID technology that's used to gain access to parking lots and entrance doors can also used to track you throughout the entire building you work in.

They could see your entire movements throughout the whole day, when you to the restroom, when you're standing too long at the water cooler talking, at a co-workers desk, ect. ect. ect..

We have RFID cards where I work that also incorporates a scan ID for the time clocks along with it be able to let you gain access to any door in the building and parking lot.

It's claimed to be as a security deterrent for improper access, but I bet it's also being used to track employee movements in the 500,000 building we have.

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Columbus Indiana native, Jaime Hyneman, shot a canon ball through a house and he doesn't have a sign acknowledging this accomplishment as you enter our city. Tony Stewart drives in circles and we have a parade for him.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't see a problem with a private company bowing to the wishes of other private companies who buy its services (advertisers). If a private company hacks off gun owners, don't we have a right to boycott. Advertisers have that same right.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Okay let's say everything we buy eventually has the tags. Let's also say that at some point in the not so distant future we go cashless...completely. Now do you see the issue with having EVERY item you buy in a multitude of databases? Whos friggin' business is it what we buy? I know why they WANT it to be their business but it isn't.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Okay let's say everything we buy eventually has the tags. Let's also say that at some point in the not so distant future we go cashless...completely. Now do you see the issue with having EVERY item you buy in a multitude of databases? Whos friggin' business is it what we buy? I know why they WANT it to be their business but it isn't.

Welcome to the New World Order.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Also people need to realize that Employee cards that contain RFID technology that's used to gain access to parking lots and entrance doors can also used to track you throughout the entire building you work in.

They could see your entire movements throughout the whole day, when you to the restroom, when you're standing too long at the water cooler talking, at a co-workers desk, ect. ect. ect..

We have RFID cards where I work that also incorporates a scan ID for the time clocks along with it be able to let you gain access to any door in the building and parking lot.

It's claimed to be as a security deterrent for improper access, but I bet it's also being used to track employee movements in the 500,000 building we have.
    They do not have the abilities you think they do. Those RFIDs are very weak. You have to have the card right on the reader to get it to recognize the card.

Your company can track what doors you opened when. In order to actually track your movements they would have to have the whole building covered by a very strong wireless network, as well as some sophisticated servers to collect and correlate the data. The cost would be very high for such a setup.

There are RFID tags designed to be used in this manner. They are generally used more for tracking inventory of expensive items like computers or expensive testing gear.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    They do not have the abilities you think they do. Those RFIDs are very weak. You have to have the card right on the reader to get it to recognize the card.

Your company can track what doors you opened when. In order to actually track your movements they would have to have the whole building covered by a very strong wireless network, as well as some sophisticated servers to collect and correlate the data. The cost would be very high for such a setup.

There are RFID tags designed to be used in this manner. They are generally used more for tracking inventory of expensive items like computers or expensive testing gear.

I know of at least one boarding (grades 9-12) school that not only uses it to control access (like keep the boys out of the girls dorms, students out of restricted staff areas) but also uses it to track the movements of students throughout the day; does it require more effort, sure; but it also does happen.

Knowing what a problem CC skimmers are nowadays, and Nat Geo had a decent Secret Service documentary showing just that, and all the info that can be downloaded from one quick swipe, and now all you need is proximity not even possession, I can very easily see how the rapid spread of RFID credit cards and ID cards would make for an identity thief's dream world. A tech savvy thief just needs to pass you on the street, walk into the nearest bank and 10min later your daily cash limit has been withdrawn and he's off to his next target and that card never left your wallet, then that night he can get online and sell your account #, SSN, security questions and passwords to the highest bidder so you can get hit again.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

The sensitivity of the reader/scanner can be adjusted. In the case of financial transactions I suppose they would turn it down to avoid false readings of passerby rfids. What about the ones in the new card type quick passports? You have to keep those in a foil envelope due to the amount of personal data stored within.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Don't get me wrong, I will not have a credit card with a RFID tag in it. I don't know anything about the passports, so I can't comment. I was only talking about the ID cards used for accessing doors. The cost/benefit of setting up a business to be able to do something like that just doesn't seem to be there in my eyes. It is not that easy to get actual position of a RF signal.

As stated earlier, your phone is much more of an issue for this than a RFID tag.

Top Bottom