• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Took my XD9sc to the range again today for another "get to know each other" session. On the menu was 100 rounds of 115 grain WWB ball ammo and 50 rounds of Independance 115 grain ball. My best friend came along, always fun for both of us.

Didn't feel like plain ole target shooting today. Decided it was time to get back to working on a series of different drills. Started off with the Indepencance, and 50 rounds of draw and double taps. Well, 40. Rick put 5 downrange, then put 5 into the head of my target.

Opened up the WWB. I'm not really a fan of this ammo. It's never very accurate for me, but it's accurate enough for what I was doing today. And it's a good brass generator :) Spent the next 90 rounds (not the 100 on I wrote on the target, I forgot I let Rick put another 10 through my gun) engaged in various forms of practice. Carried my gun bag down range to simulate leaving a store with groceries. Draw and double tap. 10 yards, and 10 feet, 10 rounds at each. Ditched the bag, and closed the range to two feet. Draw and engage twice, 10 rounds each time. Here is where the injured man boob came into play. I drew, indexed just fine and dandy, and fired. About half way through my string, for some strange reason, instead of canting the gun I held it upright, and the slide hammered poor righty. OUCH!!! Much to my surprise, the gun didn't jam, just kept trucking along. Rick asked why I'd hesitated partway through, then laughed when he found out why I was rubbing my chest LOL. I didn't make that same mistake for the next string!! Started at 10 feet, drew and fired while backpedaling as fast as possible. I've always enjoyed this drill. You go from basically contact shooting, to point shooting, to aimed fire very quickly. Another 20 rounds down the tube. Back to 10 yards, 10 rounds each strong hand & weak hand, rapid fire, head shots. 10 more draw and double tap, and all my ammo was gone for the day :(

That makes 300 rounds through my new gun. No malfunctions, though I certainly couldn't have complained if I'd had the one. My impressions from the first trip about my gun have been strengthened. It's a soft shooting, easy to hit with gun. After today, I can add fast shooting to that, also. It's just a very pleasant and easy to shoot gun. I couldn't be more pleased. As for my shooting, I'm rusty, and would have liked to see better, but I reckon I could at least give a bad guy a good scare :)

Rick was also favorably impressed the gun, though he thought it was snappier than I do. He particularly liked the sleeve on the back up mags that basically give you a full length grip with that magazine in.

Still doesn't change the fact that my ribs and booby hurt LOL.

Target 1: 50 rounds of Independance ammo:
    Shooting9-16-09001.jpg

Target 2: 100 rounds of WWB
    Shooting9-16-09002.jpg

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I feel your pain even though I laughed! :lmfao: I've had my eye on a XD40sc to play nice with my XDm 40 for a little while now, and your range day synopses have made me want one more. Also, where do you get your paladin targets?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Where's the picture of the bruised manboob??? J/K....

Thanks for the pat couple of threads on your new gun. It's always fun and interesting to hear about others' experiences.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I feel your pain even though I laughed! :lmfao: I've had my eye on a XD40sc to play nice with my XDm 40 for a little while now, and your range day synopses have made me want one more. Also, where do you get your paladin targets?

Got 'em at Lafayette Guns & Gear, one of my favorite stores :)

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Good shootin. I am in about the same boat as you. I bought my XD sc 9mm new from a gun show a couple weeks ago and just got back from the range for the second time. I love it! not very accurate, but I think that is either me or my cheap remington umc ammo. You are right it is as soft a shooter as I have ever had. I've put about 200 rounds through and I just can't get it to jam! some WWB target, mostly UMC's, and some WWB hollowpoints and it'll take anything. my new walther p22, that is a different story :rolleyes:

I will second some of the others, wheres the pic of the bruise? guess that's just the student doctor comin out but i wanna see it! I love all those threads with the (GRAPHIC PICS) label

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Joe you must really love that XD to get a hickey on your boobie.

I do love my XDsc but I haven't gotten a hickey. I did get a little love bit on the thumb as a reminder that this wasn't a revolver...Keep thumbs together...Repeat slowly and often.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Nice job with the pictures without getting too graphic. haha. Makes it a lot easier to understand how it happened though.

Top Bottom