• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It seems to be one of the most common questions asked in the forums when it comes to self-defense. Usually something along the lines of “My wife doesn’t want to carry a gun, I want to get her OC, what is the best out there”.

This thinking places OC in your someone’s personal defense program in the same place that many carry a firearm. This can be a huge mistake. There are basically two reasons why women don’t want to carry firearm-
    1)[FONT="Times New Roman"] [/FONT]They don’t want to be bothered.
    2)[FONT="Times New Roman"] [/FONT]They really don’t want to hurt anyone.

Let’s look at number one, OC to be effective during a spontaneous attack situation has got to be pre-deployed. That means that it is not at the bottom of a pocket or purse. This takes constant effort and mindset to have it ready in the hand whenever in a danger area (anywhere outside the home).

Number two, use of OC without proper mindset can lead to even more violence, let me explain. Being light skinned and blue eyed OC tears me up. I have been sprayed with it in the line of duty dozens of times. Each and every time it made my eyes slam shut and my face burn. What it never did was take me out of the fight. If anything it make me fight harder. I just had to fight by touch. As we see time and time again in pistol classes people have a very bad tendency to stand still while shooting, this is even more so when deploying OC. What will your wife be able to do if the guy gets his hands on her?

Besides state and local laws there are lots of issues with the carry of OC. The first is that in today’s security climate they may be prohibited in courthouses, some forms of transportations and academic institutions. So depending on life style and environment you many not be allowed to carry your OC. Of course this changes for everyone, what percentage of your life will you need to leave your primary force option at home or in your vehicle? Then when you do carry it, will you have the presence of mind to pre-deploy it?
    OC is good for two things, bridging and transitioning. Bridging is using a tool to move to remove yourself to a safe location or at least to a safer one. Transitioning is using a tool to get you to another tool. OC can be very effective when backed up by a firearm and quite possible save you from having to shoot someone. In police use of force OC is usually very low on the list right after verbal persuasion. Don’t use it as your primary force option. A guide for citizen use of force should look something like this-
    Verbal commands
    Impact tools (flashlights, pens, kubatons, stylus)
    OC
    Firearms/Edged Weapons

The impact tools that are mentioned can be carried in even the most prohibitive environments and can allow you to bridge or transition with little training as long as the mindset is correct. OC, firearms and knives can be added depending on lifestyle and environments.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I agree completely. I would love for my girlfriend to carry, but she comes from a Chicago suburbs based family (now living in Geist) who obviously vote blue. She's getting more into shooting, I've taken her dad to the range with me (pretty good bonding experience), but she's not comfortable carrying.

Her dad got her a Taser C2 (yeah, the pink one) with the laser sight, along with two spare cartridges, one that she actually fired so she could see how it works. She's practiced drawing it, and short of going to one of their training classes, I feel she's pretty well prepared, I guess.

I know these things work, but still, part of me just doesn't trust the robot factor, and feels that a .38 Special P+ with handloads would be a lot more effective. Oh well, give it time, and hopefully she'll get to that point.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would never give my wife or daughter a Tazer to carry. There is a reason why police use them with lethal cover.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What about if your wife OC's her gun? ;)

Seriously, you guys should have picked better.

That's why I tell all my friends over 21: Stop sport dating and start dating for a mate.

Then you don't have to worry about all the typical "wife would let me buy a gun" "wife won't let me put a safe in the living room" "wife won't let me buy my 4th AK..."
    ;)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My wife doesn't allow a safe in the living room, but it's only because the floor probably wouldn't support it..

She did bring me a handgun home the other day, though!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The floor in the living room is less stable than the floor in the rest of the house?

Put the tv on top of the safe and tell her it is an entertainment center. :):

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Yes, I am very happy with my "mate" she has her IN handgun License, plus she is just awsome wouldnt trade my twenty years with her for nobody!

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Ok Prometheus, you wife kicks ace. You got the one in a million, congrats. I'm happy mine likes anime & video games (no FPS unfortunately). Let's just say my plus side is I have a cheaper hobby since only one person in the relationship purchases firearms. Yes...I'm jealous.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [...]
    I know these things work, but still, part of me just doesn't trust the robot factor, and feels that a .38 Special P+ with handloads would be a lot more effective. Oh well, give it time, and hopefully she'll get to that point.
    OK, maybe I'm misreading this. If so, please correct me. Are you saying you'd carry your own reloaded cartridges for SD?

I've heard that this can be very, very bad for you in the hands of an aggressive DA or judge.. saying that you hot-loaded your rounds with the purpose of going out to hunt someone down and kill them, etc.

Of course it's :bs:, and we all know this, but it's important to be aware of that risk, and give them nothing at all on which to hang their hat... or you, by the neck.

Blessings,
    Bill

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok Prometheus, you wife kicks ace. You got the one in a million, congrats. I'm happy mine likes anime & video games (no FPS unfortunately). Let's just say my plus side is I have a cheaper hobby since only one person in the relationship purchases firearms. Yes...I'm jealous.

My wife doesn't like FPS either so it's no cake walk here either :laugh:

Top Bottom