• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    As I recall when I got my Hendricks County lifetime there were a few boxes on the bottom left asking what kind of "permit" I was applying for. Something like target or personal protection. As bad as a letter sounds I'm sure it's there to so they don't give a a LTCH to someone who just writes "I HATE MY WIFE" or something along those lines. The interview or the letter, as wrong as they are, may help keep weapons out of the hands of those evolution should have weeded out. Whoever they are.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    That interview in Carmel really sounds like someone having to go before a mid-evil court and appear before someone and ask for permission to protect their family. Anyone know if it's been challenged by a vote? Was there requirements that the letter had to meet?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    An interview or letter doesn't make any difference, since Indiana is a "shall issue" state. If someone wants to kill his wife, he's not going to apply for a permit first, and he's definately not going to write that in his "letter". Having to jump through those hoops is annoying at best.

Keeping them out of the wrong hands is what the background check is for.

Checking the box for what kind of permit you want is different (target, PP, etc) because they are all different permits with different requirements and different prices and different allowances.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Submit the application without the letter, that way if you're rejected you'll have the necessary standing to sue the crap out of them for violating your rights. One good law suit dealing with this crap should be enough to wake up all those others tacking on their own requirements to state law. If I were done with law school, your situation would be a fun pro bono project. I imagine a few others on here would be willing to help a little bit.

Good luck either way on the submittal.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That is interesting feedback guys. I actually had no problems with sending the letter in when I got mine, and wasn't really concerned with my wife doing so either.

I'm not sure the motivation for the local police to require it, but the way I look at it, all I have to write in the letter is "excersize the 2nd Ammendment RKBA."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah most times things like that aren't really a big deal in the actual *doing* of whatever is required, buts its the principle.

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    25 or more years ago when I got my first LTCH it was required the first time you applied. That has not been the case for many many years.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    1992 it was required unless you were military and had your commander write a letter giving you permission. I took my daughter in yesterday and had her put "LTCH" in the reason box.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    As long as you have a money order for the correct amount, I doubt seriously that anyone even looks at that line.

G McBride... how long did it take your wife to receive her IN license after she submitted the paperwork? Been 2 months and I'm still waiting.

Top Bottom