My wife is headed to chicago...what to arm her with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    how is the area around union station?
    thats where her bus station is
    i believe she will be getting free shuttle service from the sheridan hotel to the pier every day

At the times of day I imagine she'll be there, that area is generally safe. It's patrolled by Amtrak Police and CPD but there is a certain population that pops up after dark and some even sleep in and around the terminal.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    If it is a group activity, remind her there is safety in numbers. Night time is not a time to explore a new city, especially alone. Moving from conference to dinner to hotel and back can be easy if you share a cab with others who think the same as you . How long a stay is she planning? Chicago has great places to explore...but many areas that I would not EVER take my family (Remember Clark griswold in "VACATION" !)
    Keep her in the group where ever she goes and her 'safety factor will climb a lot.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    If it is a group activity, remind her there is safety in numbers. Night time is not a time to explore a new city, especially alone. Moving from conference to dinner to hotel and back can be easy if you share a cab with others who think the same as you . How long a stay is she planning? Chicago has great places to explore...but many areas that I would not EVER take my family (Remember Clark griswold in "VACATION" !)
    Keep her in the group where ever she goes and her 'safety factor will climb a lot.

she will be going on friday and staying until friday of that weekend

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Maybe she would benefit from the generous use of an M1A2 Abrams tank. I would suggest canister rounds since the area may be "close quarters."

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Arm her with information and situational awareness and she will be fine.

That is a very safe area of the city. 90% of the problems in the city are thug against thug and occur in the thug infested areas. Stay out of those areas and the city is actually a pretty safe place. Beautiful too. One of the nicer big cities I've ever been to see.

Agreed. I have spent a fair amount of time in that area, even after dark, and never felt unsafe.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    how is the area around union station?
    thats where her bus station is
    i believe she will be getting free shuttle service from the sheridan hotel to the pier every day

Too bad she isn't staying there tonight, it is going to be the safest place in the city as Obama is spending the night there.

The building my daughter lives in is directly next to the Sheridan, and it really isn't a bad location.

Except now since Obama is having dinner with a friend on the other side from my daughter's apartment, it is safer than ever. She just phoned me that there are more Chicago police and Secret Service than ever before.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Agreed. I have spent a fair amount of time in that area, even after dark, and never felt unsafe.

I grew up and work downtown and agree that there's a lot to offer there. But just this year, a physician was stabbed in the neck after the festival of lights and dozens of tourists were hurt and/or robbed in separate "wilding" incidents. They are using social media to coordinate meeting times and there are literlly hundreds of teens robbing people, stopping traffic, and looting stores.

On March 31, 2013, the Chicago Police estimated the mob of teens to be about 400 strong. Still well worth a visit, but the OP's wife and other tourists should be especially careful.

Here's a link to several videos and news reports about the problems downtown: https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Hopefully your wife has fun on her trip. I may just be a stubborn, angry old man; (:p) but whenever someone's suggested a trip to Chicago my response has been, "That would be interesting. It's unfortunate that I'm not welcome in that state."

Like I said, I'm stubborn. I have made exceptions in rare circumstances, such as trips to Cedar Point or when I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity in DC a few years back. But generally speaking, if a state doesn't honor Indiana's LTCH, I consider myself unwelcome in that state and do my best to *not* support their tourist industry.

Illinois in particular, if just because of their habit of blaming Indiana's laws for all their gun problems instead of taking any personal responsibility whatsoever. Seriously, they're like 5-year-olds.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    if she takes oc spray i dont recommend ruger restraint it seemed a little slow acting (yes i did spray myself with it) it took a few seconds to set in but when it finally did it hurt but i was still able to walk from the garage to the house, unholster my gun and clear it, get undressed and in the shower (if you ever pepper spray youself and try to decon. in the shower leave your pants on) so i would think it wouldn't have much effect on a determined criminal.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    My wife is going to a conference in chicago the weekend of June 8/9th
    I was really hoping she would be able to carry her firearm by that time but it looks very unlikely.

So what should i send her packing with?
    Kitty keychain?
    mace?
    tact light?
    quick deploy knife?
    brass knuckles?
    brass knuckles knife? (cliffhanger anyone?)

She has been carrying every day for a little over a year now and its dawning on her that she doesnt feel safe without her firearm (WIN!!!!)
    Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Hello Kitty keychain would be best bet...

Most knives will also catch hell in IL as will brass knuckles...

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Another idea is a compressed air-powered horn. You can get them several places. You cannot use them for defense, but they make an incredibly loud noise, scaring the BG and drawing attention to the scene. But as I said in an earlier post, it is a fairly safe area. Just stay in public places, preferable in groups, and she will be fine.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Another idea is a compressed air-powered horn. You can get them several places. You cannot use them for defense, but they make an incredibly loud noise, scaring the BG and drawing attention to the scene. But as I said in an earlier post, it is a fairly safe area. Just stay in public places, preferable in groups, and she will be fine.

Stay in groups, and she will be fine, go ahead and tell that to the parents of the dead children at the Connecticut school shooting... They were in a group, how well did that help them?

My advice to the OP is to keep your wife as far away from that cesspool called Chicago as you can.

Gunner

Top Bottom